[Amazon.ca] Arko Shaving Soap Stick, White, 12 Count $15.40

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 5th, 2020 3:30 am
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2305 posts
1802 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I tried a few of them and at the end I also use the Nivea shaving cream in a tube. No bowl, no mess. Wet face, put about a peanut size dab onto my shaving brush, and build lather directly on face. Was skeptical at first, but it works quite well, and produces enough decent lather for 2 and even 3 passes. It's for sensitive skin so has some additional moisturizers, so skin feels pretty smooth afterwards. Been using this for the last 4 years. I shave twice a week usually and a tube lasts me over a year.
Nov 6, 2012
287 posts
292 upvotes
Edmonton
sunnysidesolutions wrote: Why do you keep it with your clothes instead of the bathroom
Fragerance inevitably will leave the containers.. slowly. So now my clothes smell good :) Also, you don't want this stuff in contact w/ damp or light so the closet is perfect.
mdl.tor wrote: I do not get the urinal cake vibe, but see how someone could.

I generally use TOBS and love anything with an orange or rose vibe. Anything in that stack of indulgence you would recommend?
IMO Tobs charges a lot for what you get. A value minded person's first step outside of mass-produced gear and into the world of artisan gear is always going to be Stirling ($20 for almost 6oz of soap). From there I think the height of luxury for scents and performance is Ariana & Evans
hssironman wrote: great use for old Ikea CD racks!
It is! Got em used for between $10-$15 ea off FB Marketplace
shinsky wrote: Anyone recommend shaving brush and bowl? I'm a newbie in thew old school wet shaving.
Any bowl w/ ridges on the bottom (I got mine off ebay) and a synthetic brush from Stirling, Yaqi or Oumo will suffice.
Sep 8, 2017
16 posts
19 upvotes
Pretty impressive! When I was in Italy a few years ago (2017) I probably bought about 6 or 7 really obscure classic Italian shaving soaps - since that time, I've opened 2 of them and they're not done yet (I like to mix it up, use different ones all the time).

Anyway, I counted about 60 tins in your arsenal (not counting the 20 or so that I'm sure you have at your sink). At 100 shaves per tin (on the low end), that's about 16 1/2 years of shaves. At 200 shaves per tin, that's 33 years of shaves. Sp you probably have 25 years of shaving there. Yikes!
Nov 6, 2012
287 posts
292 upvotes
Edmonton
spender2017 wrote: Pretty impressive! When I was in Italy a few years ago (2017) I probably bought about 6 or 7 really obscure classic Italian shaving soaps - since that time, I've opened 2 of them and they're not done yet (I like to mix it up, use different ones all the time).

Anyway, I counted about 60 tins in your arsenal (not counting the 20 or so that I'm sure you have at your sink). At 100 shaves per tin (on the low end), that's about 16 1/2 years of shaves. At 200 shaves per tin, that's 33 years of shaves. Sp you probably have 25 years of shaving there. Yikes!
Yup I know lmao it ain't about finishing the tubs for me, it's about experiencing this hobby to the fullest 👍🏼
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3196 posts
3196 upvotes
Oakville
benilla wrote: Image

FML
sunnysidesolutions wrote: Why do you keep it with your clothes instead of the bathroom
He can afford a big enough closet.

No wait, it's not that.

He's happily married and knows better than to put anything in the the wife's bathroom.
-ZdpZ... ;)
Sep 8, 2017
16 posts
19 upvotes
Off topic, but what is the best shaving store in Edmonton or Alberta? Or do you get all of your stuff online?
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2009
2652 posts
1310 upvotes
thesubmitter wrote: somebody said they paid 6$ for 12 in the comments.
astrolad wrote:
If you price check on camel camel camel, the lowest recorded price is $14.40 on Aug 28, 2014.
The comment post date is August 5, 2019 when ccc had the amazon price as somewhere in the $20 range.

I wonder where the commenter made the purchase?
That isn't my review, but the last time I bought this was October 19, 2016 according to Amazon, and it shows I paid $6.10. Was a third party seller, so no tax either. I still have 10 bars unused lol (I only use this for shaving my neck).

According to Keepa, it was that price for about 14 hours on the day that I bought.
Mar 8, 2010
331 posts
270 upvotes
Calgary
stealth wrote: Arkos a good performer for me...in a neat, compact format and lasts a long time at a cheap price.
I just wish it smelled better,
You could grate it up into a bowl and mix in some essential oil, or menthol crystals = problem solved.
Nov 6, 2012
287 posts
292 upvotes
Edmonton
zdpz wrote: He can afford a big enough closet.

No wait, it's not that.

He's happily married and knows better than to put anything in the the wife's bathroom.
This man knows haha.
spender2017 wrote: Off topic, but what is the best shaving store in Edmonton or Alberta? Or do you get all of your stuff online?
Kent of Inglewood for beginner stuff, Karve for enthusiast stuff. I'd call ahead to see if they are letting people in the store cuz of Covid. If you're in Edmonton, we have a shaving group chat on Facebook where we do combined orders to hit minimums for free shipping. Also the guys will sell their stuff for cheap too that they no longer use. Just scrape off the top layer of soap and you're good to go.
Sep 14, 2009
540 posts
209 upvotes
Vancouver
Tried a few other popular cheap soaps (Wilkinson Sword and Williams Mug) and find Arko superior. Got this deal about 3 months ago and still using the first stick (shave 3x per week and only half way through stick.)
Aug 16, 2009
300 posts
176 upvotes
astrolad wrote: I figured as much but I couldn't help myselfSmiling Face With Open Mouth

I guess I'm okay with it because my wife hasn't complained about the fragrance?
(For context, we do have eight kids....Winking Face)
I have 8 kids too but with 8 baby mamas. What does it tell you about the soap?
[OP]
Aug 27, 2004
674 posts
146 upvotes
Cyberspace
akilana wrote: I have 8 kids too but with 8 baby mamas. What does it tell you about the soap?
I do feel the need to come clean here about the soap.
As many have already surmised(thanks for the PMs:-) ), tragically, my wife lost her sense of smell in a childhood accident where she was struck in the face by a ball. In a strange twist of fate, she did regain her sense of smell for a number of years and we do have a gap of about 7.2 years between kids at one point. Ultimately, she had another mishap when changing a diaper and bumping her head that caused her sense of smell to be lost yet again.
It is very difficult to watch a loved suffer in this way but she is much happier without the sense of smell than with it.
And we make the best we can of it. I spend no money on colognes or deodorant and can use cheap shaving supplies that smell like urinal cakes.
So please, do not pity me or feel sorry for my wife.
Everyone has their own challenges to deal with.
Former Know-It-All
Jan 12, 2007
386 posts
72 upvotes
Any recommendations? I ended up buying tabac and the smell really grew on me. Almost done the jar.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)