Amazon.ca

Asus Chromebook Flip C213SA-YS02 Celeron N3350 $299

[OP]
Jun 21, 2012
385 posts
215 upvotes
Montreal

[Amazon.ca] Asus Chromebook Flip C213SA-YS02 Celeron N3350 $299

Intel® Dual-Core™ Celeron N3350 1.1GHz (Turbo up to 2.4GHz)
Screen resolution 1366x768

Looks like a fair price for a rugged Chromebook with 2 USB 3.1 (type C) port and a micro card reader. Screen resolution is not great but at least it's touch.
It's the non-stylus version.

I was looking for a Chromebook and would have preferred FHD resolution but for home surfing use and travelling it should be good.
67 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10643 posts
7227 upvotes
I never understand Celeron N performance market space. Even a Core 2 Duo has better performance (but not performance per watt). It seems, to me, so under powered. But I guess Chromebooks has their own use cases (i.e. Bundling the proc with an appropriate OS)...
Last edited by chatbox on Jul 6th, 2018 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3799 posts
2180 upvotes
Halifax
If you can wait, I would at that price point. You can get something similar closer to the $200 price point if you wait long enough. Nothing impressive about that model to warrant $300 other than it being in existence
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16127 posts
2726 upvotes
chatbox wrote: I never understand Celeron N performance market space. Even a Core 2 Duo has better performance (but not performance per watt). It seems, to me, so under powered. But I guess Chromebooks has they own use cases (i.e. Bundling the proc with an appropriate OS)...
I find all Atom-based CPUs, and indeed netbooks in general, personally offensive. ;)
Automatic down-votes: D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7191 posts
1518 upvotes
Toronto
You can get a base model CB like the Lenovo n23 with 2GB RAM and 16GB storage for $229 regular price and maybe $200 on special. For an additional $100 this brings; touch screen, 360 degree hinge, USB type C charging, slightly higher model CPU, 4GB RAM, and 32GB storage. It is a decent deal, if it had a finger printer reader then it would be smoking hot.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2011
1662 posts
1001 upvotes
JAC wrote: I find all Atom-based CPUs, and indeed netbooks in general, personally offensive. ;)
I wish they made a 9-10" netbook form factor with an i3. I find the 10", 720p type layout the most comfortable to use, but it seems like if you want something that small, you need to settle on one thats even slightly larger than that. Plus, its also an ultrabook(thats extra thin and atleast $1000)

Take the old Eee style netbooks. Throw an i3 in it, and maybe the 150mx, charge $500-600.... Viola! perfect cheap disposable portable machine.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16127 posts
2726 upvotes
Scott86 wrote: I wish they made a 9-10" netbook form factor with an i3. I find the 10", 720p type layout the most comfortable to use, but it seems like if you want something that small, you need to settle on one thats even slightly larger than that. Plus, its also an ultrabook(thats extra thin and atleast $1000)

Take the old Eee style netbooks. Throw an i3 in it, and maybe the 150mx, charge $500-600.... Viola! perfect cheap disposable portable machine.
There used to be some 11.6" convertibles with Core M3 CPUs, and with SSDs they were decent little performers, but I haven't found any current models. It's all Atom-based Celerons or Pentiums, or AMD A-series or E-series crap these days.

It looks like there's a rule now that, "If thy screen is 11.6" or smaller, thy CPU shall be shite."
Automatic down-votes: D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
16180 posts
3992 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
smoisan wrote: Intel® Dual-Core™ Celeron N3350 1.1GHz (Turbo up to 2.4GHz)
Screen resolution 1366x768

Looks like a fair price for a rugged Chromebook with 2 USB 3.1 (type C) port and a micro card reader. Screen resolution is not great but at least it's touch.
It's the non-stylus version.

I was looking for a Chromebook and would have preferred FHD resolution but for home surfing use and travelling it should be good.
There's a Windows Asus vivobook on sale at Microsoft store with FHD touch screen for $399. Worth the extra $100
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1039 posts
917 upvotes
Celerons actually run quite well with chrome os. Chromebooks are not the Asus ee pcs of the past. Windows on Celerons tank but chrome os is actually quite smooth when bundled with 4 GB of ram.
[OP]
Jun 21, 2012
385 posts
215 upvotes
Montreal
weedb0y wrote: There's a Windows Asus vivobook on sale at Microsoft store with FHD touch screen for $399. Worth the extra $100
Admittedely a good deal but it's not what I was looking for. I already have a 17" FHD (non-touch) Windows laptop. I was looking for a Chromebook so a ChromeOS machine to replace a dying tablet that I never use as a tablet, that is, I never hold it in my hands. It's usually in front of me on it's stand and I check FB, RFD, Reddit the news and so on while I eat or check a recipe. The fact that it should boot in seconds and that it is rugged are other advantages for me.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2004
3059 posts
59 upvotes
GTA
Would this be good for a first chrome book for kids to learn on? Rugged and “spill proof” are attractive.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3078 posts
2137 upvotes
Canadia
Rosico wrote: Would this be good for a first chrome book for kids to learn on? Rugged and “spill proof” are attractive.
Yes. This would be fantastic for kids. Many school divisions use Chromebooks now.

Don't let the conversation about Atom and Celeron processors scare you. I'm writing this on a four year old Chromebook with only 2GB RAM that still runs really well -- Chrome OS simply isn't the resource hog that Windows is.
[OP]
Jun 21, 2012
385 posts
215 upvotes
Montreal
For those who say $300 is "a lot" for this machine do you only care about the CPU itself? Maybe it brings other things of value to some that you don't care about?

Researching this Chromebook the price is $450CDN and up in Canada according to shopbot and $350USD (bestbuy.com and amazon.com). So it's cheaper here at the moment than in the US.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2011
2766 posts
1951 upvotes
Parksville, BC
My son has a Celeron Chromebook with 2GB and it runs decently. My daughter's Acer Switch with an Atom and 2GB is slllooowwww so for Windows 4GB is really a must. This Asus has issues other than the CPU and RAM which both are OK for ChromeOS. The biggest problem is the bezel. In tablet mode that bezel becomes difficult to work with especially given the screen size. .
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
4689 posts
2857 upvotes
Generally do Chromebook owners bother with an anti-virus software or not for this device?
[OP]
Jun 21, 2012
385 posts
215 upvotes
Montreal
Mr_Fanta wrote: Generally do Chromebook owners bother with an anti-virus software or not for this device?
From what I have read so far about ChromeOS no.