• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2019 8:28 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2148 posts
394 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Asus Chromebook Flip C434 (4GB RAM, 64GB SSD) - $549.00

Been looking for a new Chromebook ever since my Acer C720 ran out of updates and then (almost instantly) decided to have boot problems. Great machine that has served me well for 5+ years.

I've done my research for the last few days and it appears that the Asus C434 is universally considered the best mid-range Chromebook and best overall bang for your buck.

Coincidentally, I checked the price today on Amazon Canada and it's on sale (love when that happens). According to Camel 3x, this is the lowest price ever for the product, having only come out a few months ago. It has hovered around the $699.99-$649.99 range for a bit. I believe this sale puts it in line with American pricing.

Hope this thread doesn't devolve into a "Chromebook sucks" kind of discussion. Chromebooks serve a purpose for me and I think this is a great deal for the best overall Chromebook. Let me know your thoughts.
Last edited by enhanced on Aug 3rd, 2019 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
22 replies
May 13, 2017
45 posts
44 upvotes
Beaconsfield
Per Chrome Unboxed, it's the best Chromebook in the 300-599$ price range.

Nov 28, 2016
204 posts
237 upvotes
Just wanna share some of my thoughts. I think any Chromebook over $400 is a rather hard sell, unless you care a lot about portability and battery life. For $549, you can easily find a Windows laptop with more powerful processor, more storage but heavier.

And if you intent to use Linux on this Chromebook, I think you should be okay to handle all the annoyances Windows would cause you.
Dec 4, 2018
67 posts
53 upvotes
As an avid chromebook user, this does have some nice features that I do not regularly see on cheaper ones:

Backlit keyboard, 64gb storage, full enter key (some have that slim vertical one, yuck).

That being said, its also more than double the price of cheap chromebooks and it probably is used for the exact same tasks.

I understand that this likely has a greater longevity but at this price point my options open up to a LOT of different laptops, whereas a $200 chromebook is in its own niche
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2007
1578 posts
617 upvotes
Montreal
The chromebook is solid, but the recommendation is to go for the 8GB model, which unfortunately is not available in Canada?

8GB Model: C434-DS384T .
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
2331 posts
2485 upvotes
At this price point, I think you should look at regular 8gb laptops from Asus and Acer. My Zenbook 13 is 2.49 pounds and was around this price a year ago. I don't know how the new Chrome books perform, probably fine, but they remind me a bit of those old netbooks that were really limited in every way.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
1247 posts
622 upvotes
It seems expensive for what it is, a Chromebook...
Aug 20, 2018
243 posts
252 upvotes
Bought that Asus TUF gaming laptop deal for the same price (maybe a little less?) a week ago. Ryzen 3550H, GeForce 1650, 8GB DDR4, 240GB SSD, 14ish inch screen. Added a used second 8GB stick of RAM for $60. It's now a desktop replacement that can also play pretty much any game at 60 FPS and medium-high settings. Well-built too, and easily serviced.

And this is Google Chrome wrapped up in a laptop chassis.
Last edited by dcipub on Aug 4th, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 21, 2012
340 posts
171 upvotes
Montreal
Not the same Chromebook but close. I got the HP Chromebook x360 - 14-da0021nr (5KF52UA) - 14", Intel Ci3, 8gb SDRAM while in the US for around $500.
So much better than my previous Celeron one with a gorgeous screen and very useful backlit keyboard. Much faster boot time than any Windows PC and laptops. Very happy with my purchase so at this price I would go for it if you are using your Chromebook as your main computer for internet.
Sep 14, 2009
529 posts
200 upvotes
Vancouver
I have the Asus C302 which I think is the older model of this one and it's held up really well and was widely lauded as the best Chromebook of 2017...by the experts, and in this review - https://www.androidcentral.com/asus-chr ... 34-vs-c302 - they say the C434 is a big upgrade and better in almost every way - so it sounds like a great product.
Aug 31, 2018
162 posts
342 upvotes
I too had the acer c720 that just saw the end of its life recently after serving me close.to 6yrs.. bought an acer chromebook 14 used for $230 at amazon.. must say that it was a really good purchase for me. Aluminum, full hd, good speakers, no noticeable scratches at all.
Aug 26, 2008
860 posts
406 upvotes
Montreal
Money4Red wrote: Just wanna share some of my thoughts. I think any Chromebook over $400 is a rather hard sell, unless you care a lot about portability and battery life. For $549, you can easily find a Windows laptop with more powerful processor, more storage but heavier.

And if you intent to use Linux on this Chromebook, I think you should be okay to handle all the annoyances Windows would cause you.
Portability, battery life, simplicity. Most people simply do not need a full-fledged operating system, with all its headaches and things that can go wrong. Windows in this case is a Rube Goldberg machine, a "machine intentionally designed to perform a simple task in an indirect and overcomplicated fashion." While you can get a cheaper (lower quality) model, this Chromebook is a well constructed, extremely capable and flexible device for all the tasks most people need a computer for. In fact, with the newest ChromeOS virtualization features, you can use it for much more, but that's just icing on the cake.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
1247 posts
622 upvotes
davidm wrote: Portability, battery life, simplicity. Most people simply do not need a full-fledged operating system, with all its headaches and things that can go wrong. Windows in this case is a Rube Goldberg machine, a "machine intentionally designed to perform a simple task in an indirect and overcomplicated fashion." While you can get a cheaper (lower quality) model, this Chromebook is a well constructed, extremely capable and flexible device for all the tasks most people need a computer for. In fact, with the newest ChromeOS virtualization features, you can use it for much more, but that's just icing on the cake.
Windows 10 is pretty easy to use. Imagine buying a product that is locked down and has low resale value and thinking that it's a good deal.

Edit: From a company that has a long history of ditching their products when they get bored: https://killedbygoogle.com/ Google is already working on a ChromeOS replacement.