• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2019 8:28 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2187 posts
410 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Asus Chromebook Flip C434 (4GB RAM, 64GB SSD) - $549.00

Been looking for a new Chromebook ever since my Acer C720 ran out of updates and then (almost instantly) decided to have boot problems. Great machine that has served me well for 5+ years.

I've done my research for the last few days and it appears that the Asus C434 is universally considered the best mid-range Chromebook and best overall bang for your buck.

Coincidentally, I checked the price today on Amazon Canada and it's on sale (love when that happens). According to Camel 3x, this is the lowest price ever for the product, having only come out a few months ago. It has hovered around the $699.99-$649.99 range for a bit. I believe this sale puts it in line with American pricing.

Hope this thread doesn't devolve into a "Chromebook sucks" kind of discussion. Chromebooks serve a purpose for me and I think this is a great deal for the best overall Chromebook. Let me know your thoughts.
Last edited by enhanced on Aug 3rd, 2019 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
22 replies
May 13, 2017
64 posts
89 upvotes
Chateauguay
Per Chrome Unboxed, it's the best Chromebook in the 300-599$ price range.

Nov 28, 2016
246 posts
356 upvotes
Just wanna share some of my thoughts. I think any Chromebook over $400 is a rather hard sell, unless you care a lot about portability and battery life. For $549, you can easily find a Windows laptop with more powerful processor, more storage but heavier.

And if you intent to use Linux on this Chromebook, I think you should be okay to handle all the annoyances Windows would cause you.
Dec 4, 2018
81 posts
57 upvotes
As an avid chromebook user, this does have some nice features that I do not regularly see on cheaper ones:

Backlit keyboard, 64gb storage, full enter key (some have that slim vertical one, yuck).

That being said, its also more than double the price of cheap chromebooks and it probably is used for the exact same tasks.

I understand that this likely has a greater longevity but at this price point my options open up to a LOT of different laptops, whereas a $200 chromebook is in its own niche
Freedom - $130/year talk/text
Fido - $5/mo 4GB data
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2007
2097 posts
1459 upvotes
The chromebook is solid, but the recommendation is to go for the 8GB model, which unfortunately is not available in Canada?

8GB Model: C434-DS384T .
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3390 posts
3871 upvotes
At this price point, I think you should look at regular 8gb laptops from Asus and Acer. My Zenbook 13 is 2.49 pounds and was around this price a year ago. I don't know how the new Chrome books perform, probably fine, but they remind me a bit of those old netbooks that were really limited in every way.
For Sale:
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
1284 posts
676 upvotes
It seems expensive for what it is, a Chromebook...
Aug 20, 2018
265 posts
291 upvotes
Bought that Asus TUF gaming laptop deal for the same price (maybe a little less?) a week ago. Ryzen 3550H, GeForce 1650, 8GB DDR4, 240GB SSD, 14ish inch screen. Added a used second 8GB stick of RAM for $60. It's now a desktop replacement that can also play pretty much any game at 60 FPS and medium-high settings. Well-built too, and easily serviced.

And this is Google Chrome wrapped up in a laptop chassis.
Last edited by dcipub on Aug 4th, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 21, 2012
385 posts
215 upvotes
Montreal
Not the same Chromebook but close. I got the HP Chromebook x360 - 14-da0021nr (5KF52UA) - 14", Intel Ci3, 8gb SDRAM while in the US for around $500.
So much better than my previous Celeron one with a gorgeous screen and very useful backlit keyboard. Much faster boot time than any Windows PC and laptops. Very happy with my purchase so at this price I would go for it if you are using your Chromebook as your main computer for internet.
Sep 14, 2009
679 posts
345 upvotes
Kingston
I have the Asus C302 which I think is the older model of this one and it's held up really well and was widely lauded as the best Chromebook of 2017...by the experts, and in this review - https://www.androidcentral.com/asus-chr ... 34-vs-c302 - they say the C434 is a big upgrade and better in almost every way - so it sounds like a great product.
Aug 31, 2018
374 posts
528 upvotes
I too had the acer c720 that just saw the end of its life recently after serving me close.to 6yrs.. bought an acer chromebook 14 used for $230 at amazon.. must say that it was a really good purchase for me. Aluminum, full hd, good speakers, no noticeable scratches at all.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1093 posts
766 upvotes
Montreal
Money4Red wrote: Just wanna share some of my thoughts. I think any Chromebook over $400 is a rather hard sell, unless you care a lot about portability and battery life. For $549, you can easily find a Windows laptop with more powerful processor, more storage but heavier.

And if you intent to use Linux on this Chromebook, I think you should be okay to handle all the annoyances Windows would cause you.
Portability, battery life, simplicity. Most people simply do not need a full-fledged operating system, with all its headaches and things that can go wrong. Windows in this case is a Rube Goldberg machine, a "machine intentionally designed to perform a simple task in an indirect and overcomplicated fashion." While you can get a cheaper (lower quality) model, this Chromebook is a well constructed, extremely capable and flexible device for all the tasks most people need a computer for. In fact, with the newest ChromeOS virtualization features, you can use it for much more, but that's just icing on the cake.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
1284 posts
676 upvotes
davidm wrote: Portability, battery life, simplicity. Most people simply do not need a full-fledged operating system, with all its headaches and things that can go wrong. Windows in this case is a Rube Goldberg machine, a "machine intentionally designed to perform a simple task in an indirect and overcomplicated fashion." While you can get a cheaper (lower quality) model, this Chromebook is a well constructed, extremely capable and flexible device for all the tasks most people need a computer for. In fact, with the newest ChromeOS virtualization features, you can use it for much more, but that's just icing on the cake.
Windows 10 is pretty easy to use. Imagine buying a product that is locked down and has low resale value and thinking that it's a good deal.

Edit: From a company that has a long history of ditching their products when they get bored: https://killedbygoogle.com/ Google is already working on a ChromeOS replacement.
Jun 17, 2018
516 posts
978 upvotes
A Windows laptop with better specs can be attained for the same price. The Windows laptop will run Chrome just as this Chromebook. Android apps can also be run on the Windows laptop using an emulator. Linux can be installed, either directly or in a virtual machine, on the Windows laptop to run Linux apps. Some Linux apps have Windows ports as well.

That said, Chrome OS has its positives. Play store is integrated, so no emulation is required. Encryption is enabled by default: https://support.google.com/chromebook/a ... 8631?hl=en . On most Windows laptops, this requires an upgrade to Windows Pro which is an extra $100, followed by setting up BitLocker. Most people don't know this and will never set up this security measure even if they have financial documents saved on the laptop. Chrome OS is simplified and locked down. A higher price for reduced functionality may seem paradoxical but the simplification, reduced management effort, and safety actually make a Chromebook a better option for less tech savvy people.

Also, this device is fanless and has excellent design and build quality. I think this is a good price for this device. If I hadn't bought the HP Chromebook x360 - 14-da0021nr from Amazon.ca for $650 on Prime Day, I would have bought this one instead. I considered returning the HP in favor of this Asus but the extra $100 for the HP gets me a Core i3 processor and 8 GB of RAM which I think are worthwhile upgrades, more so for the long term, so I will keep the HP.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1093 posts
766 upvotes
Montreal
andersb wrote: Windows 10 is pretty easy to use. Imagine buying a product that is locked down and has low resale value and thinking that it's a good deal.

Edit: From a company that has a long history of ditching their products when they get bored: https://killedbygoogle.com/ Google is already working on a ChromeOS replacement.

How long have you been using Windows? At what level? Do you really think it's easier than an OS that is completely focused on the browser? And those incessant upgrades.

Microsoft has a long history of adding things users don't want. Forcing them to use their browser, adding crapware like those in their tiles. The obnoxious 'game bar' nobody asked for, advertisements. None of this is as clean as ChromeOS, which Google is not going to 'abandon,' they may merge it with Android but it's a very widely used mainstream offering.
Nov 25, 2009
439 posts
144 upvotes
Duncan
Just as a head's up, I was recently doing some research before I purchased a Chromebook and joined the Chromebook Reddit when doing so. I've seen quite a few threads complaining about the build quality on the c434 lately. Despite the fact that the model was reviewed early to be the next best thing, it sounds like the quality control hadn't been the best. Heard of issues with screens, keyboards, trackpad and speakers, so if you do order, be sure to go over the machine and make sure you're happy with the build.
Dec 29, 2017
182 posts
120 upvotes
Thx...great deal. Ordered last one as deal over. All reviews re surfing web show this to be the way to go. And a great price...had ordered from best buy but as usual they tried to delay price matching until inventory at Amazon all gone. Just cancelled bb and ordered from Amazon. 150 plus taxes saved. Thx again
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6912 posts
2899 upvotes
Too bad the deal is over, it's a very good deal IMO. It has excellent ergonomics eg keyboard, very good portability eg battery life & weight, display, & performance. Touchscreen, 2 in 1 convertible, supports Google Play. It is Consumer Reports 3rd highest rated Chromebook, & amongst the top 5 Chromebooks rated, $550 Cdn would easily be the best price.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)