• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2021 3:47 pm
[OP]
Feb 21, 2020
19 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.ca] Asus G14 gaming laptop $1799.99

Asus ROG G14 with Ryzen 9 4900HS, 16gb ddr41tb sad and a 2060 max q. Haven’t seen this low before.

https://www.amazon.ca/Zephyrus-Gaming-G ... B0863D2QVT
Last edited by TomRFD on Jan 15th, 2021 11:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: added url
25 replies
Jun 5, 2015
43 posts
30 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Hold, updated models coming out "Q1". Ryzen 5000 and RTX 3000 is worth waiting for.
Jul 14, 2019
611 posts
1033 upvotes
2021 Models are dramatically improved in most areas. Discount is not enough to justify the difference IMO but the 2020 G14 was an excellent laptop. The new G15 was actually changed the most from last year (now it is basically a slightly larger G14) and will likely be the top seller.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
1424 posts
630 upvotes
Perhaps I'm missing something. But $1800 for a laptop when you can have a desktop with the same amount of RAM, ease of upgradability and more for the same if not less money?
Feb 25, 2008
150 posts
81 upvotes
sheyenne wrote: Perhaps I'm missing something. But $1800 for a laptop when you can have a desktop with the same amount of RAM, ease of upgradability and more for the same if not less money?
You always pay more for laptops (mobile) vs desktop (stationary) (same as cars with sunroof vs none)
Deal Guru
Oct 17, 2001
11932 posts
93 upvotes
sheyenne wrote: Perhaps I'm missing something. But $1800 for a laptop when you can have a desktop with the same amount of RAM, ease of upgradability and more for the same if not less money?
You always pay more for portability plus it comes with its own high refresh rate display/keyboard/touchpad. That premium's worth it for those of us who don't want to be tethered to our desk when gaming. That said I don't think this is a good deal with the newly announced laptops with better price/performance value coming soon.
From a "Family" reviewer: "We Cheer teaches coordination, enticement to lust, women being used as sex objects, and team work."

From Worthy Playing: "We Cheer is, then, for all intents and purposes, the F-Zero GX of music games. It asks for so much, yet forgives so little. It is actually so casual that it's hardcore."
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2006
1277 posts
263 upvotes
It should have been this price in the first place! The US was getting it for $1150 all holiday season and we were stuck with $2499. So unfair.
I ended up with the lower end model (1660 ti / Ryzen 7) at Costco for $1529 or something like that 3 weeks ago. Hope the new stuff is actually here and a REASONABLE price before my 90 day return period ends.
Otherwise, I guess I can go for this one. This is a great laptop!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2011
8342 posts
3037 upvotes
Toronto
haque243 wrote: Hold, updated models coming out "Q1". Ryzen 5000 and RTX 3000 is worth waiting for.
Didn't see info on actual Canadian release dates. Any idea?
Feb 18, 2007
914 posts
1117 upvotes
Vancouver
Why buy from convenience store when you can buy same thing in grocery store for less?
Dec 29, 2010
205 posts
246 upvotes
Laval
Variability wrote: Didn't see info on actual Canadian release dates. Any idea?
End of this month.
Mar 26, 2007
340 posts
22 upvotes
Sarnia
Same sale at best buy. Waiting for the new one to come out before considering. The screen in this version had a lot of ghosting.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
1045 posts
470 upvotes
Perth
Please put price in title
Jul 19, 2016
190 posts
196 upvotes
I have this laptop and I love it. Bought it nearly a while ago on sale for $2000 and don't regret it. I don't do that intensive of gaming but even with a 65W rtx 2060 max q this thing gets pretty damn hot. The rtx 3060 is rated up to 115W which is significantly more than the max q rating, so unless they made some significant improvements to the chassis (appears to be the same one though), I'd be somewhat concerned about thermals on the new iteration. Having said that, Asus knocked it out of the park with the original version so I doubt there will be significant issues with it, but if you need a laptop now and don't care for the latest and greatest, it's still a solid laptop that will last a good number of years. (I still have a gtx 1050ti laptop that runs nearly everything I need).

There's also no pricing information on these guys yet afaik, so it's likely to come out at the $2500CAD mark or more expensive for the rtx 3060 variant. The $800+ difference isn't insignificant, and could definitely still warrant the purchase of this device.
Jul 19, 2016
190 posts
196 upvotes
Tarumous wrote: TL;DR: Do not buy this laptop.

Do not buy this laptop if your main intention is to game on the laptop itself (without separate external monitor). This laptop is great except for the horrendous 20ms grey-to-grey response time. That’s a response time territory even non-gaming people will notice and be bothered from. If you intend to do productive work and media consumption then it’s fine.

But then again, as others have blatantly pointed out, the next iteration of this exact laptop is coming out in less than a month with significant upgrade (AMD Ryzen 4090HS to AMD Ryzen 50XX CPU and Nvidia RTX 2060 Max Q to Nvidia 30XX GPU).

Whether Asus improved on the horrible 20ms GTG response time on the display in the 2021 iteration, we will have to see but they did improve the displays significantly across their whole 2021 laptop lineup so I would presume the same for the G14.
If anyone is reading this and is concerned, don't be. These kinds of comments regarding response time are overblown and tend to be from people who haven't even tried the laptop. See literally any post here by people who actually own it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ZephyrusG14/se ... ance&t=all

The upgrade, on the other hand, is significant enough to warrant the price difference and wait though imo. Both the cpu and gpu are a decent/considerable upgrade from the predecessor.
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
10712 posts
5045 upvotes
Ive used the laptop and screen is fine. Im in market for a second laptop and this would do the trick but ill hold off to see whats to come end of month.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user!
EQ BANK!
SIMPLii !!
Buy first think later!
Nov 19, 2020
54 posts
98 upvotes
I was about to buy this laptop about two weeks ago until I realized it doesn't have a webcam... Literally every other laptop has a webcam, I'm not sure what Asus was thinking.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2006
1277 posts
263 upvotes
blazed16 wrote: Ive used the laptop and screen is fine. Im in market for a second laptop and this would do the trick but ill hold off to see whats to come end of month.
I agree. Screen is actually pretty good, especially compared to the xps 13 I tried out a few weeks back. I tend to play steam games (indie) and no issues with the likes of Dead Cells, Hollow Knight, or Pinball FX3 (which is wicked at 120Hz!).
I am typing this on the laptop right now and I gotta admit, Asus knocked it out of the park. The keyboard, screen, power, looks (I like the grey) and overall feel (soft on palms) of the material is just awesome. It's pretty light for what it is too!
There is also a g15 coming for the folks who want a bigger screen. By the way, the new TUF is looking pretty sweet too!
Jul 14, 2019
611 posts
1033 upvotes
MakAttack07 wrote: I was about to buy this laptop about two weeks ago until I realized it doesn't have a webcam... Literally every other laptop has a webcam, I'm not sure what Asus was thinking.
It's a dedicated gaming/creative laptop rather than a business laptop, but I can understand the want for one. IMO it's a non issue when you can buy extremely tiny webcams that aren't much bigger than your fingernail and just leave it in the bag for when it's occasionally needed. I may be in the minority but I personally prefer no webcams because I never use them. The first thing many people do with their laptop webcams is put a piece of black tape over them and forget about them forever.