Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Asus ROG Zephyrus G15 15.6" (1080p) 144Hz Ryzen 7 4800H, 16GB DDR4 ram, 512GB SSD, Nvidia 1660Ti - $1399

[OP]
Oct 1, 2020
70 posts
33 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Asus ROG Zephyrus G15 15.6" (1080p) 144Hz Ryzen 7 4800H, 16GB DDR4 ram, 512GB SSD, Nvidia 1660Ti - $1399

This laptop is very similar to the Legion 5, just seems like it is a bit more compact and the screen is not as bright (250 vs. 300 nits). Very tempted by this.

Sale is on at Amazon, Best Buy, Visions, memory express, Walmart, from my quick search.
Last edited by TomRFD on Oct 22nd, 2020 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: retailer field was empty
11 replies
Nov 19, 2017
998 posts
2172 upvotes
Toronto
Limited upgradability (Only one of the RAM sticks is removable. The other is 8GB soldered in)
Thermals are horrible. (Vents are actually blocked with a piece of paper, not even kidding)
Max-Q GPU
No webcam (Pretty essential these days, and good to have even if you don't think you'll use it)

Get the Lenovo and avoid this, or if you are set on the Zephyrus laptops, wait for the G14 to go back on sale for $1499 and get that.
Jul 14, 2019
545 posts
879 upvotes
Good price for a great machine.

It takes 5 minutes to remove the vent blocks, it is a complete non-issue.
Oct 10, 2019
180 posts
160 upvotes
I think I will wait for the new models with PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD before getting a new laptop.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2348 posts
622 upvotes
CanadaCPU wrote: Good price for a great machine.

It takes 5 minutes to remove the vent blocks, it is a complete non-issue.
Do you mean physically damaging the bottom of the computer? What does that do for dust intake? Or warranty status?
Jul 27, 2018
145 posts
84 upvotes
FrankDracman wrote: I think I will wait for the new models with PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD before getting a new laptop.
When is the market expecting these
Jul 14, 2019
545 posts
879 upvotes
FrankDracman wrote: I think I will wait for the new models with PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD before getting a new laptop.
While it's a nice speed upgrade when running benchmarks, note that virtually nothing currently or on the horizon will be able to take advantage of PCI 4.0 SSD speeds. Launching a game, for example, is not any faster. Transferring files between two PCI 4.0 drives is about the only way to use their speed right now. It's a "nice to have" but I wouldn't hold out for one personally, if something else comes along that you like. Most games and programs are written assuming people have average hard drives.
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
14167 posts
4628 upvotes
London
The Legion 5 is cheaper and much better
Oct 10, 2019
180 posts
160 upvotes
CanadaCPU wrote: While it's a nice speed upgrade when running benchmarks, note that virtually nothing currently or on the horizon will be able to take advantage of PCI 4.0 SSD speeds. Launching a game, for example, is not any faster. Transferring files between two PCI 4.0 drives is about the only way to use their speed right now. It's a "nice to have" but I wouldn't hold out for one personally, if something else comes along that you like. Most games and programs are written assuming people have average hard drives.
When you are doing a normal day of work on your laptop that has an SSD with 5 GB/s for reading and up to 4.4 GB/s for writing,

you don't get a "bit" of a speed boost?
Jul 14, 2019
545 posts
879 upvotes
FrankDracman wrote: When you are doing a normal day of work on your laptop that has an SSD with 5 GB/s for reading and up to 4.4 GB/s for writing,

Not really - there has been a bunch of objective testing on this already comparing PCIe 3.0 and 4.0 drives. For most people and for normal usage, you will notice zero difference between SATAIII SSD (~550 MB/s), a PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD (~3500 MB/s) or a PCIe 4.0 NVMe (~7000 Mb/s). The difference is so tiny that you can only really measure it with benchmarks (usually under 1 second on a 20 second job). It's because so few programs actually need that kind of transfer performance, and so few programs (and games) are written to take advantage of that kind of performance.

There is an enormous and noticeable difference going from a traditional spinner HDD to even a SATA III SSD, but beyond that there is very little real-world difference for the average user, despite the faster drives being better. Transferring files between two PCIe 4.0 drives or certain heavy video editing cases will benefit, but not much else (at the moment, anyway).

All else equal, yeah of course go for the PCIe 4.0 drive, why not, but if you are holding out for that feature specifically, I think you may be doing yourself a disservice and limiting options. PCIe 4.0 SSDs also run hotter, which is a negative for laptops.

I'm not trying to say it's bad or anything, it performs exactly as it's supposed to in benchmarks, you just don't really see any of that translate into real-world usage because not much else is able to harness those speeds.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
5836 posts
4519 upvotes
FrankDracman wrote: When you are doing a normal day of work on your laptop that has an SSD with 5 GB/s for reading and up to 4.4 GB/s for writing,

Depends on work load. Bulk data on/off SSD will (copying files) but everything else, bandwidth means very little. I can count in one hand number times 2GB/s on old SSD comes in play.

Much like 3090 can't really take advantage of PCI-E 4 yet.

Don't get me wrong, if you are a youtuber and ingest a lot of data and video edit, you will benefit from it. Gaming, not really.