[Amazon.ca] Asus RT-AC86U/CA Dual Band Wireless Router - $179.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 24th, 2021 4:34 pm
[OP]
Jun 10, 2005
521 posts
305 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Asus RT-AC86U/CA Dual Band Wireless Router - $179.99

Pretty good router. According to camel3x this is the first time it's dropped below $200 (at least on Amazon)

Edit: Looks like this was sol at $124.99 previously, but is not reflected on Camel3x. (Thanks Dhanushan).
old deal: amazon-ca-asus-rt-ac86u-ca-wireless-rou ... 9-2456099/
Last edited by Mars2012 on Jun 24th, 2021 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: fixed link/nonRFD affiliate tag removed
Thread Summary
Looking to upgrade your wifi? Check out RFD Reviews' list of the best routers!
19 replies
Mar 5, 2014
44 posts
17 upvotes
Vaughan
Router is solid, can testify. Using in bridge mode, wifi covers home plus outside, basement etc. No issues. Update firmware to Merlin and it rocks
Jun 17, 2019
29 posts
16 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Temporarily OOS. May have to wait awhile.
RFD has been amazing for my digital life!
Cell Plan (AT&T): 3 lines Unlimited Talk/Text with 25GB data for use in CAN/US/MEX ($100US/mo)
Internet Plan (Cogeco): Unlimited 1Gbps down, 30 Mbps up ($80CAD/mo)
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
4901 posts
4787 upvotes
Toronto
Gophermofur wrote: Pretty good router. According to camel3x this is the first time it's dropped below $200 (at least on Amazon)

Edit: Looks like this was sol at $124.99 previously, but is not reflected on Camel3x. (Thanks Dhanushan).
old deal: amazon-ca-asus-rt-ac86u-ca-wireless-rou ... 9-2456099/
I find Camel^3 misses some price changes so I use keepa

Nov 21, 2016
158 posts
142 upvotes
abbotsford
ama1313 wrote: Yes, I was able stack coupon of $25 @staples with price match so $100 was a solid deal. But it is definitely a solid router, very happy with Purchase.
What was the code for that one?
Dec 22, 2010
355 posts
111 upvotes
ama1313 wrote: Yes, I was able stack coupon of $25 @staples with price match so $100 was a solid deal. But it is definitely a solid router, very happy with Purchase.
I'm also wondering about this since I have to purchase a monitor from Staples for $500.
Dec 3, 2007
643 posts
434 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
redflagdealsguy wrote: While the AX86U matures, goes to prom, finishes uni, and comes back a grown man, I'm sticking with the AC86U.

I could use one or two more units next time it drops sub-$150.
OK, time to return the AX58U I just ordered.
Thanks for the input. Was even going to get the Xiaomi AX6, but going from merlin to Google translate Chrome UI is too risky for my blood.

Wasn't entirely confident in Wifi 6, especially since I won't benefit for another couple years.

Reflashing my ac68u has fixed my issues, so may have more time to wait for the AC86U to drop, maybe in time for Prime Day Canada (it's been postponed indefinitely).
Oct 15, 2011
158 posts
167 upvotes
testmann wrote: I'm also wondering about this since I have to purchase a monitor from Staples for $500.
At that time there was promo by staples for 10% off with code 94008. I purchased the router for 249.99 - 10% off and had chat with staples for price match. After i picked up they credited me back $125plus tax the diff for price match in full.
Mar 10, 2014
189 posts
135 upvotes
My RT-AX86U flaked out this morning after only 6 months. Only one light coming on even after resetting a number of times. I didn't have time to upgrade to the firmware as of yet due to work. I have gone back to my original flaked out RT-AC86U from last Dec 2020 and it turns on but if I touch it, it will fail again.

I just bought another RT-AC86U from Staples this morning for $179.99 + ($34.99 for 2 year replacement warranty). Given my luck with routers in the past two years, I decided to pay the extra warranty. I will go back to the RT-AX86U later today and do more trouble shooting. The new RT-AC86U is only an insurance if I cannot get the AX86U to work. What crappy quality or pure bad luck.
Sep 9, 2018
312 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto
jmc111 wrote: My RT-AX86U flaked out this morning after only 6 months. Only one light coming on even after resetting a number of times. I didn't have time to upgrade to the firmware as of yet due to work. I have gone back to my original flaked out RT-AC86U from last Dec 2020 and it turns on but if I touch it, it will fail again.

I just bought another RT-AC86U from Staples this morning for $179.99 + ($34.99 for 2 year replacement warranty). Given my luck with routers in the past two years, I decided to pay the extra warranty. I will go back to the RT-AX86U later today and do more trouble shooting. The new RT-AC86U is only an insurance if I cannot get the AX86U to work. What crappy quality or pure bad luck.
Contact Asus. I bought one off Kijiji that had a questionable history and the WiFi died. They sent me a replacement without asking for a receipt.
Mar 10, 2014
189 posts
135 upvotes
SuperNaut wrote: Contact Asus. I bought one off Kijiji that had a questionable history and the WiFi died. They sent me a replacement without asking for a receipt.
I just called them and I will need to redo the settings again afterwards when I can switch back. Possible the settings were lost. Thanks for the heads up.
Mar 10, 2014
189 posts
135 upvotes
SuperNaut wrote: Contact Asus. I bought one off Kijiji that had a questionable history and the WiFi died. They sent me a replacement without asking for a receipt.
I went to reset the router and spent over 30 minutes trying to get the damn thing to work. After hard reset to factory reset, I entered the information again (SSID, password, etc.) and then it asked to upgrade firmware. After firmware upgrade, it went la la land state. I restarted the router and reset and it kept my admin credentials but factory reset the SSID. I tried to enter the info again but this time it won't even take it. It just crashed. Ended up rebooting the router and pulling the plug completely.

After bunch of troubleshooting, I was able to get the damn thing to talk to the modem again and the router actually responded. What a crappy piece of bios and firmware. It's basically YMMV setup. I called back tech support telling them why
the settings were originally lost this morning and the guy can't even speak good english. So much for their help. He said he can escalate it. OMG. No thanks. I just hung up.