Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

ASUS RT-AX82U AX5400 Dual-band WiFi 6 Gaming Router GUNDAM EDITION, Mesh WiFi - $209

Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2007
3662 posts
725 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.ca] ASUS RT-AX82U AX5400 Dual-band WiFi 6 Gaming Router GUNDAM EDITION, Mesh WiFi - $209

Did a search didn’t see it come up.
Looks like a good deal?
42% off on Amazon on sale for 209.99
146 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2007
3744 posts
6577 upvotes
Calgary
Review of the router from Dong Knows:
https://dongknows.com/asus-rt-ax82u-ax5 ... er-review/
Dong Knows wrote:Conclusion

The Asus RT-AX82U AX5400 Dual-Band Gaming Router is an excellent Wi-Fi 6 solution. It ranks close to the RT-AX86U, and which one you should pick depends mostly on your style.

If speed is what you care about, the RT-AX86U offers more. But if you’re living in a home with sub-Gigabit Internet, the difference between the two is minimal. That’s where the RT-AX82U’s fancy design will get you, and then the friendlier price won’t hurt.

Of course, you can always get both. In this case, though, picking which to be the primary router of the AiMesh system will be challenging. But that’s a good problem to have.
Nov 1, 2020
149 posts
395 upvotes
Good find OP I definitely would've bought one if not for already having 3 Asus routers in mesh
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2007
3662 posts
725 upvotes
Toronto
hotsauce007 wrote: That thing looks hideous lol
but you have breathing RGB mode Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2014
6046 posts
4048 upvotes
Parry Sound
ericgm wrote: Good find OP I definitely would've bought one if not for already having 3 Asus routers in mesh
For anyone thinking of using this for a mesh setup, you should be aware that one of the bands will be shared with backhaul.

Best to buy tri-band if your plan is to mesh.
This message has not been approved by The Office of The Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2007
3662 posts
725 upvotes
Toronto
Would this be worth upgrading from a Google router mesh (2nd gen) ?
Aug 5, 2008
500 posts
349 upvotes
shoei wrote: Would this be worth upgrading from a Google router mesh (2nd gen) ?
The AX82U has wifi 6 and should be a lot faster, but the range might be a bit less than a mesh system. Whether you need the range of mesh depends on your house layout and construction.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2006
1396 posts
1058 upvotes
GTA
MayorOfToronto wrote: For anyone thinking of using this for a mesh setup, you should be aware that one of the bands will be shared with backhaul.

Best to buy tri-band if your plan is to mesh.
This is not an issue you use wired backhaul.
"Just because something is on sale doesn't mean a) you can afford it, b) you should buy it, c) you need it, d) you're not spending far more buying it than not buying it at all"
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2014
6046 posts
4048 upvotes
Parry Sound
ndiniwachojeff wrote: This is not an issue you use wired backhaul.
If it's wired backhaul then it's not acting as a mesh node but as a WAP.
This message has not been approved by The Office of The Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2007
3662 posts
725 upvotes
Toronto
j4y-T wrote: The AX82U has wifi 6 and should be a lot faster, but the range might be a bit less than a mesh system. Whether you need the range of mesh depends on your house layout and construction.
What Asus secondary would you recommend with this?
Aug 5, 2008
500 posts
349 upvotes
shoei wrote: What Asus secondary would you recommend with this?
I've read good things about the AX86U (there's even a Char's Zaku version of that one if you want to keep the Gundam theme). However, as others have mentioned, if you create a mesh network with dual-band routers, your throughput will be halved at the satellite nodes. If you want a wireless mesh system, it's best to look for tri-band routers/mesh systems (the third band is used as a backhaul which leaves two bands with full throughput available for clients).
Last edited by j4y-T on Jan 31st, 2023 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2007
3662 posts
725 upvotes
Toronto
im thinking about going for the netgear nighthawk
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7991 posts
2225 upvotes
Alberta
Is this overkill for a 300 Mbps internet plan? My D-Link AC1900 needs to be powered off/reset every 4-7 days. Or wait for Asus AX58U AX3000 to go on sale....better value? Missed out on the $179 Asus AX86S awhile ago.
Dec 29, 2013
318 posts
232 upvotes
Toronto
AX58U AX3000 was receiving 900 mbps on PPoE (3.0Gbps Bell Fibre from HH4000) and 130/130 wifi to PS5

Would this receive faster from modem and powerful just with wifi?.. I have not found any better option than wifi extender-ethernet to PS5 (500/120 on AX1500 extender)…
Dec 30, 2018
97 posts
72 upvotes
Would this be overkill if I have a 3 story small home with multiple devices connecting on a Rogers 1 gbps plan? Currently using a rogers modem
Nov 28, 2016
770 posts
422 upvotes
Grimlocks wrote: Would this be overkill if I have a 3 story small home with multiple devices connecting on a Rogers 1 gbps plan? Currently using a rogers modem
Never a overkill with a good wifi.
Put one node per floor.
Lurking on RFD for years. Finally decided to make an account...😂
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
3580 posts
2795 upvotes
Pothole city
Bought the regular black version before the Holidays for 199$. It replaces an older DIR-888 Wireless AC1900 Dual-Band Gigabit.
Nobody is complaining about the WiFi signal anymore (2 story house).
Asus admin interface is also really good.

Custom ROM https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng
Feb 2, 2017
1821 posts
2692 upvotes
Other Side of Tracks
If you mount the router on the wall it could come off as a Mondrian Neoplasticism inspired design piece!
I don't want to set the world on fire, I just want to start a flame in your heart.