Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

ASUS RT-AX82U AX5400 Dual-band WiFi 6 Gaming Router GUNDAM EDITION, Mesh WiFi - $209

Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2007
3749 posts
6586 upvotes
Calgary
shoei wrote: would it be overkill to get this and then mesh it with the AX82U?
No such thing as overkill when it comes to WiFi coverage. :twisted:
Aug 24, 2011
219 posts
56 upvotes
Montréal
PhoTaiGuy wrote: Doing a little bit of research, ASUS also has the GS-AX5400 which has similar (or better) performance than this AX82u. And looks ..better..

Going for $200 at Best Buy right now:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/as ... lsrc=aw.ds
Nice find. Gonna cancel my amazon order and pick this one up probably. 10$ less for same thing except the look Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Tightly-closed Eyes
Jun 16, 2008
395 posts
259 upvotes
Brampton
PhoTaiGuy wrote: Doing a little bit of research, ASUS also has the GS-AX5400 which has similar (or better) performance than this AX82u. And looks ..better..

Going for $200 at Best Buy right now:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/as ... lsrc=aw.ds
Basically the same specs as the AX82U but more gaming features so if it's cheaper go for it...
Group Buys Organized:
Netflix UHD+4K
Prime Video
Spotify
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2006
3385 posts
441 upvotes
Montreal
I already have a tp-link mesh system for my 3 stories house,basically 1 device on each floor, but my original router is not WiFi 6 compliant, will i be able to still extend my wifi with my current mesh system if I only upgrade my router ?

Thanks
I was there at the 32$ price error at dell.ca day AND at the 150$ off price error at fs.ca
RFD price error moto: "Buy now, think later." -Ahzuz
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2007
3749 posts
6586 upvotes
Calgary
Cabanon wrote: aren't both AX5400 model ?
Both have the same internals. Only differences are the firmwares and the aesthetics.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
MayorOfToronto wrote: Again posting about some blog talking about AiMesh. Lol. And even that you seem to misunderstand.

Anyway...
Still digging a hole?
Many other posts referencing other sources, yet you still think you know it all.
I don’t think you know what you’re talking about.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4808 posts
1803 upvotes
ZipSpeed wrote:
For the non-experts like myself, is Asus' implementation of AiMesh the same as Meraki? Or is it another beast altogether?
I think the concepts are the same. You can do wired back haul of course. There's models have/use a seperate band for backhaul. But honestly what makes you think you need or want mesh?
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2004
1235 posts
1245 upvotes
“Mesh” has become a buzzword that manufacturers use to mean multiple devices providing better wifi coverage. Once you start using wired backhauls, a mesh is no longer necessary since you have a direct connection back to your router through the AP you are connect to. Of course no manufacturer is going to bother writing that on the box, and your average consumer absolutely doesn’t care, so we will continue to have the vast majority of the population who will use the word technically incorrectly and a bunch of pedantic people trying to correct them.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Mr Snuff wrote: “Mesh” has become a buzzword that manufacturers use to mean multiple devices providing better wifi coverage. Once you start using wired backhauls, a mesh is no longer necessary since you have a direct connection back to your router through the AP you are connect to. Of course no manufacturer is going to bother writing that on the box, and your average consumer absolutely doesn’t care, so we will continue to have the vast majority of the population who will use the word technically incorrectly and a bunch of pedantic people trying to correct them.
The argument here is, can a router function as a node/satellite in a mesh network when connected via backhaul?
With Asus routers that’s what it appears to be doing.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2004
1235 posts
1245 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: The argument here is, can a router function as a node/satellite in a mesh network when connected via backhaul?
With Asus routers that’s what it appears to be doing.
Then the answer is no, as there’s no point, unless you’re talking about a hybrid system with a mix of wired and wireless nodes.
Mesh = nodes/satellites can talk to each other to find the best way back home.
Once you wire everything there’s no point for the nodes to figure this out since you have a wire which is already the best way back home.

Mesh has also become synonymous with wireless handoff from AP to AP which is a totally different specification, but again, has been adopted incorrectly for marketing reasons.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Mr Snuff wrote: Then the answer is no, as there’s no point, unless you’re talking about a hybrid system with a mix of wired and wireless nodes.
Once you wire everything there’s no point for the nodes to figure this out since you have a wire which is already the best way back home.

Mesh has also become synonymous with wireless handoff from AP to AP which is a totally different specification, but again, has been adopted incorrectly for marketing reasons.
That’s my current setup with my Asus routers.
AiMesh allows adding wired and wireless nodes to form a mesh network.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2004
1235 posts
1245 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: That’s my current setup with my Asus routers.
AiMesh allows adding wired and wireless nodes to form a mesh network.
I went back and reread your original posts. That was likely done for ease of management. Again, your average consumer isn’t going to care that it’s technically not a “mesh” network.

Also since AiMesh is a trademark name for Asus, they can use it however they want. You can be an AiMesh network without being a mesh network. It was mostly likely came up with by someone in product/marketing rather than an engineer.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4278 posts
5209 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Mr Snuff wrote: Then the answer is no, as there’s no point, unless you’re talking about a hybrid system with a mix of wired and wireless nodes.

Well... Technically there us such a things as w wired mesh network. It is however used in more complex networks, and uses shortest path bridging. It is actually defined as part of the "IEEE 802.1aq standard". This is slowly replacing many of the older spanning tree protocols. They do have a nice definition in Wikipedia: "Shortest Path Bridging (SPB), specified in the IEEE 802.1aq standard, is a computer networking technology intended to simplify the creation and configuration of Ethernet networks while enabling multipath routing". And the definition for mesh networking in wikipedia is a little more complete and does NOT limit itself to wireless devices. They are hybrid networks which can adjust paths to self heal and offer more efficient paths. All this is probably a lot more technical that most people care for.

Having said that, most home users basic definition of a mesh network is any mechanism which will allow them to walk around a larger home (or other area) and having their device do automatic handoffs from one wireless AP to another, without any manual intervention by the user. That can be achieved in many ways. In my case, I use a pfsense firewall, so no integrated WiFi. But I have 3 old Cisco 2802i access points in the home. One of them also doubles as a wireless controller. All the Access points are connected back to my main Ethernet switch by wire, and are provisioned by the main access point (which is also the primary wireless controller). They all broadcast the exact same SSIDs (because that is what I want them to do) and handoffs from one access point to another are completely transparent. For my purposes it is the same as a mesh in my "little" network. The same can be achieved with many other AP ecosystems like Ubiquiti [UniFi], TP-link [Omada], and many others.

Are they mesh networks by any definition - yours, mine, wikipedia's, etc... ? I don't think anyone really cares to debate that. Bottom line for most... can I use it to extend my wireless coverage and have a seamless handoff from one AP to another.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2007
3662 posts
725 upvotes
Toronto
So I got this router, set it up but i find the wifi speeds are utterly slow.
Not sure whats going on, maybe i got a dud?
Nov 18, 2014
655 posts
616 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Gaggu P wrote: Definitely correct however the AX86U can be had new for about $270 so the difference becomes smaller.
Where can that be had for 270?
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2996 posts
601 upvotes
Burnaby
good to know.
MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM; AMD Ryzen 5 3600; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB + 16GB; WD Black SN770 1TB;