Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Asus RT-AX92U AX6100 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 6 Mesh Router $169.99 - Two pack also available for $319.99

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 2nd, 2022 9:27 am
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2018
1529 posts
2457 upvotes
Hamilton

[Amazon.ca] Asus RT-AX92U AX6100 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 6 Mesh Router $169.99 - Two pack also available for $319.99

Also available at Best Buy, Memory Express, and Canada Computers.

$319 - Two pack available for a all-in-one mesh system: https://www.amazon.ca/ASUS-AX6100-WiFi- ... X5ZW&psc=1

Two pack with Gundam Tumber: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/as ... r/B0016194

Wifi 6 Caveat: This router only supports Wifi 6 on the second 5GHz band, so if you use it in a wireless mesh setup, the first 5GHz band will be used for clients at Wifi 5 speeds and the second Wifi 6 band will be used for backhaul. If you wire the units with ethernet, both bands will be available for clients. You can manually switch on the second band for BOTH backhaul and clients, but this is will compromise the mesh network's speed.

For a cheaper Wifi 5 setup, the ASUS CT8 2 pack is a great deal: best-buy-asus-zenwifi-wireless-ac3000-t ... f-2561545/
Last edited by ownthesky on Aug 26th, 2022 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thread Summary
Looking to upgrade your WiFi? RFD Reviews has a roundup of the best mesh routers!
24 replies
Apr 22, 2018
120 posts
106 upvotes
I've been wanting to upgrade my house's WiFi to WiFi 6 or 6E.

I currently have the Nest WiFi system (1 Nest Router, 1 Google Router, 2 Nest Points). Anyone have any recommendation/suggestion regarding an upgrade to this system (AX-92U) or wait for a WiFi 6E to futureproof?
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2018
1529 posts
2457 upvotes
Hamilton
vinneil wrote: I've been wanting to upgrade my house's WiFi to WiFi 6 or 6E.

I currently have the Nest WiFi system (1 Nest Router, 1 Google Router, 2 Nest Points). Anyone have any recommendation/suggestion regarding an upgrade to this system (AX-92U) or wait for a WiFi 6E to futureproof?
I wouldn't upgrade to a Wifi 6E system right now or really any time soon- router manufacturers are treating it like what was done with 3D TV's to push sales. It's just an expansion of Wifi 6, but at a massive price increase. There's very few clients that support it, the range is much worse than 5 GHz, and you can get the same speed for much cheaper with Wifi 6 routers. The underlying tech is exactly the same, the only difference is that regulators around the world are allowing them to slap a 6 GHz antenna on it. Wifi 7 is the upgrade and the first chip came out in the spring, so if you're wanting to wait for an upgrade, that's the tech to wait for.

The prices for Wifi 6 mesh systems have fallen dramatically and they are a much better value. I don't know much about Google's forward and backward compatibility, but with an ASUS AiMesh system, you could always add a 6E unit down the line if you want.

As an aside, 5GHz will get much better later this year or early next year when Industry Canada approves the "5.9 GHz" range that were clawed back from automakers in the USA last year.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2139 upvotes
Toronto
shit.... I just bout the ASUS RT-AC68U last week from Amazon on sale for $150.

Should I return the AC68U and buy this AX92U for only $20 more??

Mind you, I don't really need the wifi capability/coverage as I have three Ubiquiti APs on all 3 levels of my house and get excellent coverage.

I just need this for running firewall duties.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2018
1529 posts
2457 upvotes
Hamilton
Repooc wrote: shit.... I just bout the ASUS RT-AC68U last week from Amazon on sale for $150.

Mind you, I don't really need the wifi capability/coverage as I have three Ubiquiti APs on all 3 levels of my house and get excellent coverage.

I think you'd appreciate that the AC92U runs both Merlin and OpenWRT, while the AX92U has no non-Asus firmware support.

Out of curiosity, what kind of connection are you using? Would you benefit from a multi-gig WAN port?
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
20144 posts
29043 upvotes
Toronto
Repooc wrote: shit.... I just bout the ASUS RT-AC68U last week from Amazon on sale for $150.

I would get the RT-AC86U for $150

[Amazon.ca] Asus RT-AC86U/CA Dual Band Wireless Router $150

RT-AC86U has the same CPU as the RT-AX92U and same amount of RAM and supports 3rd-party Merlin firmware.
Destiny is all
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2139 upvotes
Toronto
ownthesky wrote:
I think you'd appreciate that the AC92U runs both Merlin and OpenWRT, while the AX92U has no non-Asus firmware support.

Out of curiosity, what kind of connection are you using? Would you benefit from a multi-gig WAN port?
Yes, I definitely plan on running Merlin... the quick reading I've done so far on the AX92U, seem that would not be possible... seems like I'll just keep my AC86U (sorry, there was a typo in my post... it's an 86U, not 68U)

Dhanushan wrote: I would get the RT-AC86U for $150

[Amazon.ca] Asus RT-AC86U/CA Dual Band Wireless Router $150

RT-AC86U has the same CPU as the RT-AX92U and same amount of RAM and supports 3rd-party Merlin firmware.
This is exactly my thought... I was looking at the specs and realized they have the sane RAM and CPU... for some reason I thought that ASUS would have beefed up the internals on the AX92U

Oh well... wallet safe! Thanks guys!
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2018
1529 posts
2457 upvotes
Hamilton
Repooc wrote: for some reason I thought that ASUS would have beefed up the internals on the AX92U
The AX92U is kind of an odd duck, I get the feeling that they wanted to get a Wifi 6 router on the market, but couldn't get the costs down without relying on older tech. Hence the same internals and the Wifi 5 band. Still a great deal, especially if you can hardwire the 2-pack.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
1102 posts
282 upvotes
Vancouver
would this be a better buy than ax86u?

it's available now for 300 on amazon
Jan 17, 2009
886 posts
527 upvotes
Toronto
how good is the asus mesh system? If i'm walking around my house will it automatically swap connection to the closer router?
Jun 30, 2022
66 posts
39 upvotes
Sorry to side track but I have an 86 too, but with stock firmware. Am I missing out on something by doing that? I don't have a specialized use case
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
20144 posts
29043 upvotes
Toronto
ownthesky wrote: The AX92U is kind of an odd duck, I get the feeling that they wanted to get a Wifi 6 router on the market, but couldn't get the costs down without relying on older tech. Hence the same internals and the Wifi 5 band. Still a great deal, especially if you can hardwire the 2-pack.
Different 2.4GHz and 5GHz spatial stream configurations

RT-AC86U 2.4GHz is 3x3
RT-AX92U 2.4GHz is 2x2

RT-AC86U 5GHz is 4x4

RT-AX92U Wi-Fi 5 5GHz-1 is 2x2
RT-AX92U Wi-Fi 6 5GHz-2 is 4x4
Destiny is all
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
20144 posts
29043 upvotes
Toronto
tungx2 wrote: would this be a better buy than ax86u?

it's available now for 300 on amazon
If you are going to use it as the primary router, no.
If you are in a small home/condo with few devices, yes.

RT-AX86U supports WiFi 6 on 2.4GHz band, 2.5G/1Gbps multi-Gig port, faster processor with more RAM and supports Merlin 3rd-party firmware

RT-AX92U makes a good AiMesh node when using wired backhaul.

Asus RT-AX92U Review: A Cute and Effective Little Odd One Out of AiMesh

"The RT-AX92U is a cute little tri-band Wi-Fi 6 router, almost perfect for a small home. On the other, when working as a mesh, its odd specs make things a bit complicated — you might mistake what you’ll get out of it."
Destiny is all
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
1102 posts
282 upvotes
Vancouver
Dhanushan wrote: If you are going to use it as the primary router, no.
If you are in a small home/condo with few devices, yes.

RT-AX86U supports WiFi 6 on 2.4GHz band, 2.5G/1Gbps multi-Gig port, faster processor with more RAM and supports Merlin 3rd-party firmware

RT-AX92U makes a good AiMesh node when using wired backhaul.

Asus RT-AX92U Review: A Cute and Effective Little Odd One Out of AiMesh

"The RT-AX92U is a cute little tri-band Wi-Fi 6 router, almost perfect for a small home. On the other, when working as a mesh, its odd specs make things a bit complicated — you might mistake what you’ll get out of it."
Thanks.

I'm sure i speak for many ppl who doesn't really game much but have 50+ smart devices at home with 4-5 active ones (phones, laptops and ipads). Coverage is usually not a problem with 1 router for my place, but i'm just concerned about the lag in connections for numerous devices. My TP-Link AX73 is experiencing some lag for smart devices.

So for 50+ devices, is it still a better idea to go with mesh with 92u, even when coverage is not a problem?
Last edited by tungx2 on Aug 26th, 2022 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
20144 posts
29043 upvotes
Toronto
xerane wrote: how good is the asus mesh system? If i'm walking around my house will it automatically swap connection to the closer router?
Works well in my opinion when using the latest version (AiMesh 2.0) newer hardware.

Some devices are stubborn and will not connect to a closer router automatically. You may need to adjust the dBm value of the Roaming assistant setting to have them disconnect and reconnect to a closer router.

Wi-Fi Signal Strength, Broadcasting Power, and that Cool -70 dBm RSSI Value
https://dongknows.com/wi-fi-signal-stre ... explained/

[Wireless] How to enable the Roaming Assistant? (ASUSWRT)
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1036730/
Roaming Assistant feature :

In network configurations which involve multiple Access Points (AP) or wireless repeaters, clients with wireless devices sometimes cannot automatically connect to the best available AP because their device is still connecting to the main wireless router. Enable the Roaming Assistant feature so the client's device will automatically disconnect from the main wireless router if the signal strength is under specific threshold and it will connect to a stronger signal.
Destiny is all
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2018
1529 posts
2457 upvotes
Hamilton
xerane wrote: how good is the asus mesh system? If i'm walking around my house will it automatically swap connection to the closer router?
Works very well for me- I have an XT8 2-pack with an RT-AX92U, all on wireless backhaul. I've never noticed my iPhone lingering on the wrong unit.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2018
1529 posts
2457 upvotes
Hamilton
Variability wrote: This will mesh with the ax86u?
Yes, but because the AX86U is dual band, the backhaul between units will be slower if the AX86U is also connecting to clients on that 5 GHz band.
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
20144 posts
29043 upvotes
Toronto
Variability wrote: This will mesh with the ax86u?
Yes

The Asus RT-AX86U is a safe choice to be an AiMesh host. It’s so far the best dual-band router on the market, after all.
https://dongknows.com/best-aimesh-route ... 2-rt-ax86u

Notes on using AiMesh:
  • Backhaul: Wired (recommended) or wireless (acceptable when using same-tier routers).
  • Recommended nodes:
    Wireless: Dual-band Wi-Fi 6 routers with a 4×4 5GHz band.
    Wired: Any Dual-band Wi-Fi 5 or Wi-Fi 6 routers.
  • AiMesh 2.0 support: Yes (including system-wide Guest network) starting with firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.41535.
Destiny is all
Deal Guru
Feb 2, 2011
10184 posts
5573 upvotes
Toronto
ownthesky wrote: Yes, but because the AX86U is dual band, the backhaul between units will be slower if the AX86U is also connecting to clients on that 5 GHz band.
Dhanushan wrote: Yes

The Asus RT-AX86U is a safe choice to be an AiMesh host. It’s so far the best dual-band router on the market, after all.
https://dongknows.com/best-aimesh-route ... 2-rt-ax86u

Notes on using AiMesh:
  • Backhaul: Wired (recommended) or wireless (acceptable when using same-tier routers).
  • Recommended nodes:
    Wireless: Dual-band Wi-Fi 6 routers with a 4×4 5GHz band.
    Wired: Any Dual-band Wi-Fi 5 or Wi-Fi 6 routers.
  • AiMesh 2.0 support: Yes (including system-wide Guest network) starting with firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.41535.
Would it be better to just get another ax86u?