Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] ASUS TUF Laptop, 15.6” 144Hz 1080P, Ryzen 7 4800H, GeForce RTX 2060, 16GB DDR4, 1TB SSD ($1599.99-$200 =$1399.99)

Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
1036 posts
465 upvotes
CanadaCPU wrote: Intel's 10th gen mobile CPUs are a nightmare and that isn't looking like it will change until at least 2022. You are going to want the Ryzen 4XXX variant regardless if you value things like performance, thermals, lower cost, and battery life.

Ryzen 5000 mobile will be available early 2021 as well and the gap will widen by a further ~20%. Exciting times to be buying a laptop compared to only a couple years ago.
Any expectations the price of RAM to drop significantly? I mentioned this before. My 2011 HP Laptop came with 6 GB of RAM and a 500 GB HD back then. It only cost under $350 or in today's dollars less than $400. I'm seeing desktops and laptops with 16 GB of RAM. Given the 9-10 year difference and normally the amount of RAM usually doubles every one or two years (Moore's Law), I expected in 2020 PC RAM to start at 24 GB RAM as a baseline. However, I see new PC Windows Laptops still being sold with only 4 GB of RAM which was less than the industry norm back in 2010/2011.
Feb 4, 2019
313 posts
455 upvotes
CanadaCPU wrote: Keep an eye out for the Asus G14 - that is probably the best Ryzen laptop out there right now with a worthwhile discrete GPU. COVID has everything so messed up in the electronics world right now I am very curious to see what Black Friday sales bring.
Best Buy USA is having a ridiculous sale on the R9/2060/1TB selling it for $1199 USD (~ $1575 CAD). Would love to have something anywhere close to that for the Canadian version of that model which starts at $2500 CAD. While the models are slightly different (colour and presence of the AniMe matrix), the cross border price difference is massive and frustrating. Which is in contrast to the R7/1660 version which regularly goes on sale in Canada at a very nice price.
Nov 25, 2015
134 posts
348 upvotes
Montreal, QC
AGTOM83 wrote: Best Buy USA is having a ridiculous sale on the R9/2060/1TB selling it for $1199 USD (~ $1575 CAD). Would love to have something anywhere close to that for the Canadian version of that model which starts at $2500 CAD. While the models are slightly different (colour and presence of the AniMe matrix), the cross border price difference is massive and frustrating. Which is in contrast to the R7/1660 version which regularly goes on sale in Canada at a very nice price.
Is G15 just as good as G14 in your opinion?
Jul 27, 2018
145 posts
84 upvotes
kenderu wrote: Can't believe there's no webcam on it, if there was it would've been the perfect laptop.
That's a bummer. I'ts kinda necessary right now, although I probably have a usb one laying around.
Feb 4, 2019
313 posts
455 upvotes
thief101 wrote: Is G15 just as good as G14 in your opinion?
This video should help you more than I could:

Jul 14, 2019
545 posts
879 upvotes
sheyenne wrote: Any expectations the price of RAM to drop significantly? I mentioned this before. My 2011 HP Laptop came with 6 GB of RAM and a 500 GB HD back then. It only cost under $350 or in today's dollars less than $400. I'm seeing desktops and laptops with 16 GB of RAM. Given the 9-10 year difference and normally the amount of RAM usually doubles every one or two years (Moore's Law), I expected in 2020 PC RAM to start at 24 GB RAM as a baseline. However, I see new PC Windows Laptops still being sold with only 4 GB of RAM which was less than the industry norm back in 2010/2011.
RAM prices are supposed to drop a little bit actually, but probably not enough to make it worth waiting. If you need something now just get it.

8GB is the bare minimum for a laptop, try to get 16GB if possible - it's very common these days and can easily be found in machines under $1000. Make sure you actually need that much RAM though and will actually use it.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
1036 posts
465 upvotes
CanadaCPU wrote: RAM prices are supposed to drop a little bit actually, but probably not enough to make it worth waiting. If you need something now just get it.

8GB is the bare minimum for a laptop, try to get 16GB if possible - it's very common these days and can easily be found in machines under $1000. Make sure you actually need that much RAM though and will actually use it.
Thanks. We can probably wait until our existing one dies (probably within the next few months but the HDD is still perfect). It's not a must-have, yet.

We had a 16 GB HP laptop last year from HP we bought at Costco. That was barely adequate given my usage. But it was a great experience in trying out HP. We will never buy HP again. It ran fairly "hot" under a low load and fans were loud. We couldn't wipe the system to the original factory before returning it back. It would crash halfway through. We resorted to manually wiping everything using third-party applications. It took a long time. Also, HP uses some unique SSD drives that were hybrid and we couldn't install third-party drive monitoring applications because of that.