Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Asus Vivobook S 15.6 OLED Slim Laptop Core i5-12500H/16GB/512GB/1080p 600 nits $949 + tax

Jan 4, 2021
29 posts
39 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Asus Vivobook S 15.6 OLED Slim Laptop Core i5-12500H/16GB/512GB/1080p 600 nits $949 + tax

Beating previous deal by another $50 - https://forums.redflagdeals.com/amazon- ... x-2555387/

The key highlights are a really powerful CPU (21906 CPU mark) and a super bright OLED screen (600 nits).

BestBuy price - $1099
Thread Summary
If you're looking for a new computer for work or school, check out RFD Reviews' list of the best laptops for students!
17 replies
Jun 19, 2010
358 posts
669 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I got this laptop the last time it was posted. Powerful CPU, runs cool, great screen, battery life is just okay. But returned it because this is worst fingerprint magnet I've ever seen in my life. It literally gets fingerprint/smudges EVERYWHERE. Outer top cover, on the keyboard, on the palm rest area, even the trackpad tracks fingerprint !

That really really annoyed me.
Apr 17, 2017
333 posts
225 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Recent RBC gift card promo came in handy :-)
Nov 25, 2013
281 posts
405 upvotes
Markham
Very noisy according to the review on Amazon... Even while idle.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2021
1113 posts
1961 upvotes
Kaminakun wrote: Very noisy according to the review on Amazon... Even while idle.
This is the main issue with Intel CPUs unfortunately. Very energy-inefficient, they run hot, loud, and with mediocre battery life.
Aug 10, 2007
19 posts
5 upvotes
Received mine today. Default fan profile is pretty aggressive; changing to "whisper" profile brings the fan speeds to quiet levels. CPU package temps hovered around 59-60ºC (ambient 23.5ºC) while playing a 4k mkv on a tv and using chrome on laptop display, on the whisper profile. Not sure how that amazon review was able to measure the fan speeds as there's no sensors according to hwinfo64.
The plastic surfaces are kind of matte, so I haven't seen any fingerprints. The keycaps are smoother, and while I haven't seen any fingerprints, I can see how they might be more prone to picking them up. Overall, I'm happy Thumbs Up Sign.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2012
1770 posts
1140 upvotes
Markham
Is the keyboard layout the same as the one shown on the pictures?
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23196 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore
I've never bought a laptop from Amazon before. What are their exchange and return policies for opened laptops?
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2012
1770 posts
1140 upvotes
Markham
Sgt_Strider wrote: I've never bought a laptop from Amazon before. What are their exchange and return policies for opened laptops?
30-day no questions asked.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23196 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore
Uranium101 wrote: 30-day no questions asked.
Is it 30-days from the order date or when I receive it?

Thank you. I'm a little nervous about OLED for a laptop given lots of static content. I feel like burn-in is inevitable.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
6021 posts
3615 upvotes
Toronto
Endlesscc wrote: Wonder would the $200 worth it for better screen and dedicated 3050

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00120210
It depends on your eyes.

Your link is to a 14" model; the OP's is 15.6".

For my eyes (deteriorating a bit), I'd prefer a 15.6" display at the higher resolution. And yes, the resolution upgrade would be worth $200 to me.

For FullHD, 14" is fine.

On the other hand, I'd prefer no discrete GPU for power/heat reasons. For the same reason, I'd prefer AMD.
Feb 11, 2016
608 posts
498 upvotes
Does OLED makes sense for laptops? I have the same app open full screen for 8+ hours. Not much I can do as I work on it.

I am worried about burn-in. Thinking Face
Dec 22, 2010
755 posts
738 upvotes
Ontario
mihird wrote: The key highlights are a really powerful CPU (21906 CPU mark) and a super bright OLED screen (600 nits).
I gotta say this is really awkward laptop. Too much spec and price for everyday or office laptop, and too less to be a gaming laptop. It weighs almost 4lb (1.8kg), so it doesn't have mobility either.
Sep 28, 2012
168 posts
327 upvotes
I bought a Vivobook 2 years ago and it broke already. One of the hinges seized and the top cracked when tried to open the laptop.
so I am not too happy with the model/brand.
Aug 20, 2018
19 posts
6 upvotes
So I purchased this one. Long story short, I am returning this after being on a call with amazon and asus customer support to resolve my issue.
1. BT connection is bad. My noise cancelling headphone has been perfect with my previous laptop, tablet, and phone. However, this new asus laptop did not pick up my headphone. My Sony XM3 has been great for my zoom calls, etc before. Not anymore with this laptop as it had consistent problem of staying continuously connected. It often did not even pick up my headphone's mic. After reinstalling the BT driver, windows updating, the problem did not go away, and they (amazon and Asus) suggested me to return this item.
2. Screen is too blurry. I needed to dim the screen. This is my first time using a large OLED screen. I'm not sure if I will ever try OLED laptop screen. My wife said she has no issues looking at the screen, so it must be my poor vision that is not compatible with OLED screens. I never had this issue with other laptop/monitor screens.

TB4 connectionS (2!) is great. It allowed me to connect to a docking station while being charged AND left a room for an external video card in the future.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)