Amazon.ca

Asus ZenWiFi Mesh Routers (2-pack) XT8 - $429.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2022 3:44 pm
54 replies
May 16, 2019
36 posts
7 upvotes
Bestbuy had this router system for 399 a while back. I'm sure around cyber monday or such it'll drop to that price also.
Nov 15, 2020
6 posts
7 upvotes
Excellent system. I'm using wireless backhaul and my PC that’s 40’ away from my Telus modem is getting about 90% of the speed I'd get plugged into the modem.
May 28, 2007
344 posts
316 upvotes
CALGARY
I have 4 of these in order to have 5GHz reach everywhere including driveway and backyard.
They work flawlessly for stationary devices where you lock it in to a specific router.
Moving devices (phone) work, but it doesn't always choose the best one to connect to.
Nov 9, 2020
20 posts
13 upvotes
mindmeeting wrote: Excellent system. I'm using wireless backhaul and my PC that’s 40’ away from my Telus modem is getting about 90% of the speed I'd get plugged into the modem.
Hey, thanks for the input. Does it reach gigabit or close enough speed on Wi-Fi? I have a 1.5 gig connection with Bell and was planning on buying this.
Nov 15, 2020
6 posts
7 upvotes
tinkushal wrote: Hey, thanks for the input. Does it reach gigabit or close enough speed on Wi-Fi? I have a 1.5 gig connection with Bell and was planning on buying this.
I have a Telus Gigabit plan, which *only* promises 940 Mbps, and I routinely get 800-900Mbps from 40’ away. I say routinely because I need to occasionally optimize the connection in the (excellent) Asus software.

Images
  • telus now.jpg
Last edited by mindmeeting on Oct 5th, 2022 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 9, 2020
20 posts
13 upvotes
mindmeeting wrote: I have a Telus Gigabit plan, which *only* promises 940 Mbps, and I routinely get 800-900Mbps from 40’ away. I say routinely because I need to occasionally optimize the connection in the (excellent) Asus software.

Thanks. Do you only connect one device while checking the speed? Also, is this with walls ? Seems excellent speed on wifi
Jul 6, 2008
134 posts
118 upvotes
tinkushal wrote: Hey, thanks for the input. Does it reach gigabit or close enough speed on Wi-Fi? I have a 1.5 gig connection with Bell and was planning on buying this.
On wired backhaul, I get ~1.2 Gbps wifi immediately next to the nodes. When I had wireless backhaul between the nodes it was ~700 mbps next to the nodes.
I think Wifi 6E performs even faster, this is Wifi 6 so it is a little outdated already.

It's a good set of routers in their AiMesh line. Lots of additional features, handles a ton of IoT devices without any problem to more demanding devices. The mobile app is decent, firmware updates are frequent.
Also shares a lot of metrics over UPnP/IGD if you're into that.

They have 2.5G WAN ports, but all the LAN ports are gigabit. So interestingly they can serve faster speeds over wifi than LAN, albeit under ideal conditions. That's one downside for sure. You can always get another AiMesh device with 2.5G LAN ports in the future, or opt for something else entirely.

I picked up some open-box from an outlet for $400ish almost a year back. So this is a great price, but yeah they have been superseded already.
Apr 26, 2009
902 posts
817 upvotes
Calgary
Does anybody know if you can setup different SSID’s for the 2.4 and 5 channels? I’ve used both the Deco and Orbi mesh routers and neither of them let you setup different SSID’s.
Nov 21, 2018
95 posts
208 upvotes
GTA
TerrorByte wrote: On wired backhaul, I get ~1.2 Gbps wifi immediately next to the nodes. When I had wireless backhaul between the nodes it was ~700 mbps next to the nodes.
I think Wifi 6E performs even faster, this is Wifi 6 so it is a little outdated already.
The XT12 also supports merlin firmware, which I wish it did for mine.

I got the Zenwifi ET12, so the Wifi 6e version of this system. So just to speak on the speeds, my only device that can (now, finally) get on the 6 GHz band is my Pixel 6, which I haven't seen get wireless >1.4 Gbps ever (I have that Bell 3 Gbps plan, and using the 2.5 GHz WAN/LAN ports w/ wired backhaul). But I get over 1 Gbps everywhere I get signal (I found I had to use the wireless MAC filter to deny my Pixel 6 the ability to connect to the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz bands, as I found it will often switch off 6 GHz).
Nov 21, 2018
95 posts
208 upvotes
GTA
UltimateB wrote: Does anybody know if you can setup different SSID’s for the 2.4 and 5 channels? I’ve used both the Deco and Orbi mesh routers and neither of them let you setup different SSID’s.
ASUS routers allow you to do that. I think by default it is even set up to have them on seperate SSIDs IIRC. The option is called "Smart Connect" and you can just turn it off.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2017
1095 posts
1697 upvotes
Vancouver
I have a Shaw 1Gig connection and between the Shaw XB7 modem's 2.5Gbps LAN port to XT8's 2.5Gbps WAN port, I get a little over 1Gig speeds. But to achieve the same bandwidth over your connected devices whether it is wired or wireless then that depends on other factors and your use case.
Images
  • Speedtest - Test 1.jpg
  • Speedtest - Test 2.jpg
Nov 9, 2020
20 posts
13 upvotes
TerrorByte wrote: On wired backhaul, I get ~1.2 Gbps wifi immediately next to the nodes. When I had wireless backhaul between the nodes it was ~700 mbps next to the nodes.

It's a good set of routers in their AiMesh line. Lots of additional features, handles a ton of IoT devices without any problem to more demanding devices. The mobile app is decent, firmware updates are frequent.
Also shares a lot of metrics over UPnP/IGD if you're into that.

They have 2.5G WAN ports, but all the LAN ports are gigabit. So interestingly they can serve faster speeds over wifi than LAN, albeit under ideal conditions. That's one downside for sure. You can always get another AiMesh device with 2.5G LAN ports in the future, or opt for something else entirely.

I picked up some open-box from an outlet for $400ish almost a year back. So this is a great price, but yeah they have been superseded already.
Thank you for your input. Do you have Bell Fibe 1.5 too?
Nov 15, 2020
6 posts
7 upvotes
tinkushal wrote: Thanks. Do you only connect one device while checking the speed? Also, is this with walls ? Seems excellent speed on wifi
No, my wife will be on Netflix TV while I check speed on my PC …
Nov 29, 2008
189 posts
48 upvotes
mindmeeting wrote: I have a Telus Gigabit plan, which *only* promises 940 Mbps, and I routinely get 800-900Mbps from 40’ away. I say routinely because I need to occasionally optimize the connection in the (excellent) Asus software.

What device are you using to test? I have an AX-88U and a gig plan also. Wired I can easily get 940Mbps, but using my MBP M1 Pro, I only get ~600Mbps, right next to the router.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
6880 posts
4547 upvotes
Ottawa
Anelephant wrote: The XT12 also supports merlin firmware, which I wish it did for mine.

I got the Zenwifi ET12, so the Wifi 6e version of this system. So just to speak on the speeds, my only device that can (now, finally) get on the 6 GHz band is my Pixel 6, which I haven't seen get wireless >1.4 Gbps ever (I have that Bell 3 Gbps plan, and using the 2.5 GHz WAN/LAN ports w/ wired backhaul). But I get over 1 Gbps everywhere I get signal (I found I had to use the wireless MAC filter to deny my Pixel 6 the ability to connect to the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz bands, as I found it will often switch off 6 GHz).
Can you test you router speed (inside) please, I only get 1.5 GB down and 1gb up speed with bell 3G plan, thanks
Images
  • 8F2166CA-9216-43B5-8943-E8E2BB5EAB7A.png
Buy Nice or Buy Twice.
Nov 23, 2017
800 posts
541 upvotes
milkmilk wrote: I have 4 of these in order to have 5GHz reach everywhere including driveway and backyard.
They work flawlessly for stationary devices where you lock it in to a specific router.
Moving devices (phone) work, but it doesn't always choose the best one to connect to.
The roaming is a problem for any mesh wireless network. A router cannot force a client to connect to the nearest access point, but only suggest to the client that there is a better one nearby. Ultimately it is the client that decides where to connect. Some clients like laptops have a setting where you can adjust the roaming aggressiveness, so that it will more likely try to connect to the nearest access point. For mobile devices though there's nothing of the sort that I'm aware of. One way to mitigate this is to try to space out or reduce the transmission power of the access points such that there is just enough overlap between them, not too small but not too big of an overlap.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2018
1162 posts
1695 upvotes
Hamilton
The Wifi 5 version (ASUS CT8) is on sale for $189.99 at Best Buy, which is an incredible deal. If you’re on slower broadband with no immediate plan to update to gigabit fibre, it’s an excellent alternative.
Jun 8, 2019
509 posts
602 upvotes
Why are these mesh devices 4x the price of normal routers?
I own a service with Public Mobile and with Fido.
Jul 6, 2008
134 posts
118 upvotes
tinkushal wrote: Thank you for your input. Do you have Bell Fibe 1.5 too?
Yeah I do, didn't opt for 3Gbps.

Right now networking is at an interesting point. The tech is moving rapidly and lots of potential bottlenecks to overcome.

- On the wifi front, the latest Wifi 6 and Wifi 6E use channels (DFS) that can't be accessed if you're near airspace. And your network card has to be beefy to achieve those speeds. You get interference from everything: other devices, other networks (hello GTA), wireless speakers, microwaves, etc).
I think Wifi 6 tops out at ~1.2Gbps, but it depends on the router
- On the wired front you need capable wiring and ports. You need Cat5e (short run) or Cat6 cabling for > 1Gbps. Most devices only have gigabit ports. These routers do (WAN 2.5Gbps only), so you'll need to incorporate a switch if you want wired > 1Gbps to a device.
- Then on your actual devices, the speed test needs to run off of RAM at those high speeds (400 MB/s). So you'll actually get different results from different browsers/devices.

See router, wifi, wired screenshots
Images
  • Screenshot 2022-09-13 14.36.02 - Copy.png
  • Screenshot 2022-09-18 19.39.12 - Copy.png
  • Screenshot 2022-09-13 14.43.29 - Copy.png
Last edited by TerrorByte on Oct 5th, 2022 10:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.