Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Asus ZenWiFi Mesh Routers (2-pack) XT8 - $429.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2022 3:44 pm
Nov 9, 2020
20 posts
13 upvotes
ndiniwachojeff wrote: Anyone interested in splitting a pair in the GTA? I only need one as a node that will pass WAF for decor.
Might be interested but don’t know if each works individually
Jul 6, 2008
134 posts
118 upvotes
tinkushal wrote: Might be interested but don’t know if each works individually
They will work individually yes. Could also get another ASUS AiMesh router, they're all compatible with each other.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7050 posts
1593 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
milkmilk wrote: Right. Fundamentally, wifi was designed for stationary devices unlike the cellular network.
Even in a "mesh" setup, a device still connects to just a single router, and as far as I know, there's nothing in the market that can do the hand off properly due to technology constraint.
Yes there is and it's called "fast roaming" as I have mentioned above. This is why a "mesh" network is better than just having multiple access points in the same network.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Nov 23, 2017
811 posts
549 upvotes
number8888 wrote: It's call "fast roaming" aka IEEE 802.11r. Lots of mobile devices support this now including iPhones since 4S and it has been around for a long while. A properly configure Mesh network would have this enabled and the AP switching should be seamless.
802.11r is for fast authentication when the client switches between APs and is not the only tool used for mesh. For what I described, there's 802.11k and 802.11v, the former provides a list of nearby APs to the client and the latter operates on signal strength to suggest to the client for roaming to different APs. The problem for mobile phones is that with all these enabled you still get sticky clients, and that's even if the client can make use of these protocols, it comes down to how the client implements these standards. Apple products are notorious for being sticky due to their implementation.
Feb 19, 2009
611 posts
891 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
milkmilk wrote: I have 4 of these in order to have 5GHz reach everywhere including driveway and backyard.
They work flawlessly for stationary devices where you lock it in to a specific router.
Moving devices (phone) work, but it doesn't always choose the best one to connect to.
That must be some house.
I use a single RT-AX88U in a 3,000 SQFT house and get full coverage, including driveway and backyard.
Maybe not gigabit speeds everywhere, but never noticed an issue.
Nov 9, 2020
20 posts
13 upvotes
TerrorByte wrote: They will work individually yes. Could also get another ASUS AiMesh router, they're all compatible with each other.
Thanks. Is the coverage by one of these as good as stated coverage of 2,750 sq feet?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
7055 posts
4904 upvotes
Ottawa
Anelephant wrote: Nope, I think you asked me that in the other thread as well. I have my ASUS router set on "Wireless router" mode, but my Bell Gigahub is the main modem and I just have the ASUS connected like any other LAN device (I also use a wired backhaul to get to my AIMesh node through coax, using a MoCA 2.5 Gbps adapter, works amazingly). I didn't go through all the effort to config the Gigahub to disable its wifi etc (do you guys connect through putty/ssh or something to do that?).
On one hand, it doesn't "feel" optimal to have two different wifi networks broadcasting so close together, but realistically, I have absolutely no wireless performance issues. As a side benefit, for some reason my microwave doesn't connect properly to the wifi network from my ASUS when using tri-band smart connect, so I just connect the one device to it. The wifi range on the GIgahub is trash though lol
Wow today my ASUS Ax86u finally got 2gb down speed. I think use pppoe is the way to go, if you have wifi 6e devices you just need to turn on 6g wifi, disable the rest on your modem.
Images
  • DC86FBB1-A16D-4C64-A08D-156759261A3C.png
Buy Nice or Buy Twice.
Nov 9, 2020
20 posts
13 upvotes
sonyHdr12 wrote: Wow today my ASUS Ax86u finally got 2gb down speed. I think use pppoe is the way to go, if you have wifi 6e devices you just need to turn on 6g wifi, disable the rest on your modem.
What speed to you get on wifi? Near the router and in other room?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
7055 posts
4904 upvotes
Ottawa
tinkushal wrote: What speed to you get on wifi? Near the router and in other room?
I don’t trust Speedtest , that’s too fast, I don’t use cable only wifi, it my thinkpad x1e intel ax201 wifi 6 card
Images
  • 3FDB7E2D-16A2-4FB7-BCAF-B08A9FA843E3.jpeg
Buy Nice or Buy Twice.
Nov 9, 2020
20 posts
13 upvotes
sonyHdr12 wrote: I don’t trust Speedtest , that’s too fast, I don’t use cable only wifi, it my thinkpad x1e intel ax201 wifi 6 card
This is excellent. Bell Home hub 4000 has never given me more than 700 on wifi
May 28, 2007
344 posts
316 upvotes
CALGARY
acidcaribou wrote: That must be some house.
I use a single RT-AX88U in a 3,000 SQFT house and get full coverage, including driveway and backyard.
Maybe not gigabit speeds everywhere, but never noticed an issue.
2 node was fine in my previous house, but it's really really bad in this newer house.
Also because I don't live in Toronto Face With Tears Of Joy A townhouse there can get you a 2500sqft+ house here.

Having more nodes solved the issue. 3 is probably enough, but I got them on sale in pairs.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2018
1183 posts
1757 upvotes
Hamilton
superskid wrote: Curious as too why people are picking this one in the thread vs https://store.google.com/us/config/nest ... o?hl=en-US

For $30 less you get 6e and a 3rd access point.
No multigig port, so if you have 1.5 Gbps fibre, you’re permanently throttled at 1.0 Gbps.

I’d wait for reviews, triband 6E can often underperform triband 6 because the 6 GHz band sucks for backhaul connections between units since it can’t penetrate materials. It’ll probably change when 6 GHz becomes universal in phones etc and 5 GHz becomes the standard backhaul band, but most homes will be full of 5 GHz devices for years.