Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Audio-Technica ATH-M50x headphones $148

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2019 3:45 pm
Nov 25, 2016
476 posts
332 upvotes
The headband and earpads material started peeling off after about 6 months of use. Very overrated headphones imo. This is a good price but I definitely don't recommend this product.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
12635 posts
3678 upvotes
Ottawa
The M50x are better headphones that most people make them out to be. I guess they were overhyped somewhat....can't please them all.

Actually they have a fairly even sound (solid bass and sub-bass), and clear highs. Slightly exaggerated low and mid bass and some unevenness in the treble which give them clear slightly bright sound, but overall enjoyable if you are not looking for accuracy. I don't find their soundstage very expansive, but most closed cans tend to be like that for me.

All in all I can enjoy using these, and have recommended these to my friends in the past and they have been all happy.

...but I can't use them at all because the clamp too tight on my big head though. I wanted to take them off after about 30 minutes.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and not paying full price like Joe Shmoe did. This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
766 upvotes
Moncton
Gtaphotog wrote:
May 20th, 2019 5:19 pm
Listen to a song like Contact by Daft Punk or some David Gilmour on the Bose & then on the AT M50s and you'll get a sense of what type of sounds/frequencies you can't pick up on the Bose.
Exactly, bose uses cheap parts and a heavy amount of eq. It works ok for simple bubble gum type music, play something more subtle and it falls apart.
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
766 upvotes
Moncton
nicermog wrote:
May 20th, 2019 5:42 pm
The headband and earpads material started peeling off after about 6 months of use. Very overrated headphones imo. This is a good price but I definitely don't recommend this product.
I had the m40x for years and didn’t have this problem, upgraded to the m50x months ago and they still look mint. You must still have warranty left if yours are defective, but I haven’t seen many reports like yours.
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
766 upvotes
Moncton
frugalfruit wrote:
May 20th, 2019 5:12 pm
What is complex sound? All drivers can reproduct complex sound with different levels of distortion. If you don't like bose headphones, that is fine, but to say that you don't care for rtings rankings is dismissing objectivity.

They do allow you to create your own rankings. Click on Create your own on the top right where they display the Usage ratings.
Specifically because of the way they test things like frequency response by only playing one at a time. Bose nails these tests, but they have difficulty once there is too many instruments playing at once. Listen to something lien Radiohead to hear the difference easily.
Nov 25, 2016
476 posts
332 upvotes
KevinC268 wrote:
May 20th, 2019 6:02 pm
I had the m40x for years and didn’t have this problem, upgraded to the m50x months ago and they still look mint. You must still have warranty left if yours are defective, but I haven’t seen many reports like yours.
I got it 5 years ago. The place I was staying had generally warm and humid weather so I don't know if that was a contributing factor. Just google "m50x flaking" and you will get a bunch of photos showing the damage.

Maybe they are designed to be used only in pristine "studio" environments :rolleyes:
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
766 upvotes
Moncton
nicermog wrote:
May 20th, 2019 6:16 pm
I got it 5 years ago. The place I was staying had generally warm and humid weather so I don't know if that was a contributing factor. Just google "m50x flaking" and you will get a bunch of photos showing the damage.

Maybe they are designed to be used only in pristine "studio" environments :rolleyes:
Well maybe they don’t do well in humidity, but you can pretty much google any popular headphone and peeling and get results. You got to keep things in context.
Nov 25, 2016
476 posts
332 upvotes
let me put it this way, if you google headphones flaking many of the results are photos of m50x as well. unless they have changed the pleather material recently, it is potentially a big enough issue to be a dealbreaker.
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
766 upvotes
Moncton
nicermog wrote:
May 20th, 2019 6:50 pm
let me put it this way, if you google headphones flaking many of the results are photos of m50x as well. unless they have changed the pleather material recently, it is potentially a big enough issue to be a dealbreaker.
the m50x are also one of the most popular models of headphones. You will see the all the top selling over ear headphones (unless google makes one, you will have to use bing or duckduckgo to see those). Only pair Ive had that flaked were a cheap pair of sony headphones, but I wasnt that upset since they were cheap.
Feb 11, 2016
322 posts
216 upvotes
KevinC268 wrote:
May 20th, 2019 6:08 pm
Specifically because of the way they test things like frequency response by only playing one at a time. Bose nails these tests, but they have difficulty once there is too many instruments playing at once. Listen to something lien Radiohead to hear the difference easily.
FR is tested by playing one frequency at a time. This has been the industry standard for decades. Nothing unique about rtings. Only IMD(inter-modulation distortion) tests are done by playing 2 frequencies at the same time. AFAIK headphones generally exhibit the same level of IMD as THD.

Unless you know for a fact that IMD is much higher than THD, it is all speculation and we are entering audiophile territory Neutral Face
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
766 upvotes
Moncton
frugalfruit wrote:
May 20th, 2019 7:03 pm
FR is tested by playing one frequency at a time. This has been the industry standard for decades. Nothing unique about rtings. Only IMD(inter-modulation distortion) tests are done by playing 2 frequencies at the same time. AFAIK headphones generally exhibit the same level of IMD as THD.

If you know for a fact that IMD is much higher than THD, it is all speculation and we are entering audiophile territory Neutral Face
Ya, I would have to get someone else to explain the math. Im a music nerd, but not an engineer or even a musician. And honestly, they dont sell bose at stores catering to people like me... they are are only at places like costco and best buy. Im guessing the more casual listener who wants noise cancelling, comfort and listen to fairly simple music will love qc35s. I think stuff like Neurosis - 'Times Of Grace' sounds amazing, while others like my wife think its all wrong and would rather listen to Taylor Swift. Neither of us is right or wrong, we like what we like. Having said that, my music sounds best on m50x, hers on Bose (according to her).
Last edited by KevinC268 on May 20th, 2019 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2004
1566 posts
151 upvotes
Ottawa
nicermog wrote:
May 20th, 2019 5:42 pm
One of the reasons I hate all these fake leather or vinyl ear pieces... I went with Sennheiser since it's fabric.. I'd love to get the m50x though, I think they are great, but I know whether it's 12 months or 3 years, eventually they'll degrade.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
12635 posts
3678 upvotes
Ottawa
KevinC268 wrote:
May 20th, 2019 7:11 pm
Ya, I would have to get someone else to explain the math. Im a music nerd, but not an engineer or even a musician. And honestly, they dont sell bose at stores catering to people like me... they are are only at places like costco and best buy. Im guessing the more casual listener who wants noise cancelling, comfort and listen to fairly simple music will love qc35s.
the Bose definitely has some processing going on, and there is some dynamic range manipulation and equalization based on the volume.

regardless of whether there is any weird processing going on, I love my ANC headphones because I can actually hear the music to some degree over the noise. At home, I might use them if I want to do vacuuming or work outside in the yard. And on an airplane, they are like gold. For the first time after I bought a Bose years ago, I actually slept well and enjoyed my inflight entertainment.

At home, I will stick with my regular wired headphones....just clean untainted sound with open air headphones playing from a transparent source (which in my case is dedicated headphone amp/dac playing lossless files).

Back to topic:
M50X are a little bit bassier than the original M50 from what I recall when I had the M50 years ago. They aren't the most accurate, but I think you could do a lot worse with some of the other $150 ones that claim to be "audiophile".
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and not paying full price like Joe Shmoe did. This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Apr 6, 2018
83 posts
55 upvotes
enko wrote:
May 20th, 2019 7:17 pm
One of the reasons I hate all these fake leather or vinyl ear pieces... I went with Sennheiser since it's fabric.. I'd love to get the m50x though, I think they are great, but I know whether it's 12 months or 3 years, eventually they'll degrade.
You can get replacement Ear Pads of various types to fit the m50x's, if you are still interested in getting a pair.