• Last Updated:
  • Jul 2nd, 2018 8:28 pm
[OP]
Nov 24, 2012
725 posts
174 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA

[Amazon Canada] Audioengine HD6 Powered Bluetooth Speakers $699.99

I'm sure this post will stir up some discussion.

The Audioengine HD6 are on sale for $699.99. These were $999.99 when they first came out which I think was outrageous but this price seems to be a bit more palatable.

Audioengine has a good reputation and the A2+ and A5+ were well reviewed. The reviews for these are a bit of a mix bag, but at this sale price it could be an option.

I was thinking of getting these to accompany my turntable as well as my tv - they sure are pretty. Anyways, hopefully the discussion here will help me make a decision.

Note: If you're going to bash this deal please post an alternative in both value, sound quality, and aesthetics. I am looking for something with vintage looks and new tech (ie. bluetooth etc.)
Last edited by TomRFD on Jun 21st, 2018 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited title
For Sale: Fender American Special Stratocaster Brand New In Box! Save 375!!! Message me for details
17 replies
Deal Addict
May 24, 2003
3956 posts
594 upvotes
Lincoln, Ontario
Amazing PRice, I purchased a set last year from Canada Computers.... ordering a second one and selling my A5+'s for this price...
Sep 5, 2006
542 posts
335 upvotes
Calgary
Any opinions on these vs a pair of Elacs with a separate amp?
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
3809 posts
988 upvotes
Vancouver
davidclegg wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 1:38 pm
Any opinions on these vs a pair of Elacs with a separate amp?
I would expect the Elac's to be better, much better with the right amp, for critical listening. For the convenience of not taking up much space and for pairing your Bluetooth devices and using for background music or music in your home gym, the HD6 would be an excellent choice.

Last edited by NewsyL on Jun 14th, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2006
1229 posts
481 upvotes
Thunder Bay
Why spend big bucks on these speakers when you can utilize older 70's vintage speakers
and a small bluetooth amp??

Seems like a no brainer to me....
I live in that solitude which is painful in youth, but delicious in the years of maturity. -Al
Jul 31, 2010
129 posts
178 upvotes
GROSS wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 4:11 pm
Why spend big bucks on these speakers when you can utilize older 70's vintage speakers
and a small bluetooth amp??

Seems like a no brainer to me....
Don't get me wrong, I do like Audioengine and they do make good speakers (I own a pair of A2's myself). But I have to agree that the price they are asking for the HD6's cannot be justified. Nevermind 70's vintage speakers, you can get a good pair of new bookshelf speakers with a solid bluetooth amp for much cheaper.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
3809 posts
988 upvotes
Vancouver
Can we add some links to good bluetooth amps?

I have a pair of 80's rocktastic speakers that had their surrounds redone a few years ago and are just sitting gathering dust.

Mar 24, 2007
749 posts
211 upvotes
xbr50 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 4:40 pm
Don't get me wrong, I do like Audioengine and they do make good speakers (I own a pair of A2's myself). But I have to agree that the price they are asking for the HD6's cannot be justified. Nevermind 70's vintage speakers, you can get a good pair of new bookshelf speakers with a solid bluetooth amp for much cheaper.
+1 I have the A5+'s got them from directcanada for like 270... for that price it's amazing... but now they're just overpriced...
Jul 17, 2012
504 posts
185 upvotes
Kamloops
moofachuka wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 10:29 pm
+1 I have the A5+'s got them from directcanada for like 270... for that price it's amazing... but now they're just overpriced...
I had my a5+ when ncix was hot at the time and 300 bucks with 50 gift card. sold it for 280 bucks on craiglist later. now using kanto and pretty happy.

is this one much better than a5+? it's nice just too big.
Dec 23, 2007
13 posts
12 upvotes
Calgary
These still seem a bit overpriced for what you get from a sound perspective. Some will pay the premium because of the aesthetics, but I wouldn't do that. If you are committed to buying a connected bookshelf speaker, the Ai40 from Fluance will sound better for less than half the price, so I would choose the better sounding option at the cheaper price every time:

https://www.fluance.com/powered-2-0-blu ... ers-walnut

I am waiting until SVS releases their Prime Wireless to evaluate the connected wireless bookshelf market. If forced to buy a speaker today though, I'd recommend considering the Fluance speakers above or even the Edifier R1850DB if you would like to have the option to connect a sub.
Dec 23, 2007
13 posts
12 upvotes
Calgary
NewsyL wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 8:34 pm
Can we add some links to good bluetooth amps?

I have a pair of 80's rocktastic speakers that had their surrounds redone a few years ago and are just sitting gathering dust.

I just bought a chromecast audio and connected it to my old amp. For $45 you have a connected bluetooth receiver. If you want a bluetooth stereo receiver, here is an interesting article from the wirecutter:
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-stereo-receiver/

There are a lot of options, but the Sony they recommend is $168 at Visions or Amazon:
https://www.amazon.ca/Sony-STRDH190-Rec ... B078WFDR8D
Oct 24, 2003
852 posts
260 upvotes
North York
moofachuka wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 4:32 pm
Hmmm Zeos review was not good...
Did not know he reviewed this. Thanks! Not being able to select input and have all inputs mixed together seems like a big flaw. Now I understand why some reviewers mentioned that bluetooth is always on and how your neighbours could connect to it accidentally, and start playing music on top of what you were already playing.