Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

AUKEY DR03 1080p Dual Dash Cams $99.99 after coupon

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2020 4:46 pm
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3381 posts
1991 upvotes
Mississauga
duraikmurugan wrote: DR02 has similar discrete design. It comes to $95 with $15 coupon. I've been debating between the two. DR03 has rear angle of 160 where DR02 has 152
DR02 dual camera is still $179.99, DR02 front only camera is what is coming up as $95 with $15 coupon.
Mar 23, 2017
440 posts
581 upvotes
Toronto
Sejad wrote: Definitely like the look/sound of Viofo A119 V3, but I’m still not sure if I should install it in my Corolla Hybrid 2020 ad I’m afraid it would drain my hybrid battery possibly. I asked people over on Toyota Nation forums for advise with the hybrid and dashcams.
Use a fuse tap to add it to your ac fuse and it only turns on when the car is in accessory mode.

The dashcam should also be wired into your 12v electrical which is different than the hybrid system. That's why hybrids still have a traditional car battery.
Mar 11, 2013
765 posts
767 upvotes
Brampton
bubuski wrote: DR02 dual camera is still $179.99, DR02 front only camera is what is coming up as $95 with $15 coupon.
Thank you for pointing it. I'll go with the DR03 then.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5756 posts
4095 upvotes
Snowcrash01 wrote: Use a fuse tap to add it to your ac fuse and it only turns on when the car is in accessory mode.

The dashcam should also be wired into your 12v electrical which is different than the hybrid system. That's why hybrids still have a traditional car battery.
I’m not sure how to do any of that lol.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7831 posts
8519 upvotes
Vancouver
Sejad wrote: I’m not sure how to do any of that lol.
Example fuse tap: https://www.amazon.ca/MiniUSB-Hardwire- ... B072LPTK92

The fuse box on your car is easily accessible, so it's good place to tap into a 12vdc power circuit that's always-on. These kits have a plug that piggybacks on an existing fuse slot, so you just plug it in.

Kits like this one also have a power-drain protection circuit that prevents your dashcam from draining the car battery if you leave it for many days with the camera on.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2008
5981 posts
5839 upvotes
BC
Scote64 wrote: Example fuse tap: https://www.amazon.ca/MiniUSB-Hardwire- ... B072LPTK92

The fuse box on your car is easily accessible, so it's good place to tap into a 12vdc power circuit that's always-on. These kits have a plug that piggybacks on an existing fuse slot, so you just plug it in.

Kits like this one also have a power-drain protection circuit that prevents your dashcam from draining the car battery if you leave it for many days with the camera on.
https://www.amazon.ca/AUKEY-Hardwire-De ... ics&sr=1-1

Aukey also has a motion sensing hardwire kit that plugs into the ODB-II port.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5756 posts
4095 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: Example fuse tap: https://www.amazon.ca/MiniUSB-Hardwire- ... B072LPTK92

Sigh, so much cord and so many variables, I would rather have someone professional install it so I don’t install it into a wrong fuse.
Nov 24, 2012
435 posts
245 upvotes
Saint-Laurent
Most important feature for me on a dash cam is the night vision / videos. It sucks big time when at night the license plates of the cars are not clear . Even more when there is low light.

Do you know actually that you have two batteries in your car? And the radio , gas engine starting etc, has nothing to do with the hybrid battery. Is like saying that breathing gets you fat. Wait...maybe it actually does.
Sejad wrote: I’m skeptical with doing a hardwire mod as I have a Hybrid engine. I’m afraid it would drain my hybrid battery which needs to have a reserved charge for the car to start.
Aug 6, 2010
105 posts
126 upvotes
Oakville
Hmm, yeah, the reviews say night time is not good for this cam.

Any recs on other dual cams? I don't mind a higher price. I've been meaning to get one for a month now...

Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7831 posts
8519 upvotes
Vancouver
sajeesh wrote: Hmm, yeah, the reviews say night time is not good for this cam.
I would disagree - this dashcam with the Sony IMX323 sensor is as good as any cam in its price range for night recording.

You have to understand the problem with night recording and reading licence plates in order to know what you're looking for in a sensor. The reason you have trouble reading licence plates when the car is in motion is that the image of the licence plate on the sensor is moving during the frame time, causing it to be blurred. When you're stopped at a light and the other car is too, everything is nice and sharp. The only way to capture a sharp image while moving is to have a shorter frame time, like 60 Hz or even 120 Hz recording. But with a shorter frame time, the pixels gather less light, so the signal has to be amplified more. You are amplifying the noise along with the signal, so unless you increase the signal-to-noise ratio of the sensor, you will get a noisy image that's just as bad as motion blur once you smooth out the noise. The problem gets worse at night because there is less ambient light, so the signal has to be amplified even more. You get a better signal-to-noise ratio by using a larger sensor chip with bigger pixels that gather more light in a given frame time. Bigger sensor chip means more expensive, and it's the single most expensive component of the dashcam, so expect it to drive the price.

With a dashcam like this using the IMX323 chip, you will get a decently-exposed image at night, and it will look reasonably sharp at first glance. But when you look at the image details in areas close to the car where there is fast relative motion, you will see lack of detail because the image has been amplified to hit the desired exposure and the increased noise has been more aggressively smoothed out.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5756 posts
4095 upvotes
raver4444 wrote: Most important feature for me on a dash cam is the night vision / videos. It sucks big time when at night the license plates of the cars are not clear . Even more when there is low light.

Do you know actually that you have two batteries in your car? And the radio , gas engine starting etc, has nothing to do with the hybrid battery. Is like saying that breathing gets you fat. Wait...maybe it actually does.
Yes I do know there’s two batteries lol. When I was reading the manual, it seems if the hybrid engine battery is drained the car won’t start. I have no clue what is connected to what so I don’t want to mess with it.
Mar 24, 2020
4 posts
Sejad wrote: I’m skeptical with doing a hardwire mod as I have a Hybrid engine. I’m afraid it would drain my hybrid battery which needs to have a reserved charge for the car to start.
Don't need to worry at all, I have a hybrid. Plug it into the fuse box in an always-on circuit, get an appropriate hardwire mod with a low voltage auto-shut off and you should be good to go. Also look for a camera such as the Aukey with sensors["parking mode"] so they don't stay on all the time and record only when the sensors go off. You can easily get about 8 hours of recording without the low-voltage cut off kicking in.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07YBDMD8V/ref ... NrPXRydWU=
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7831 posts
8519 upvotes
Vancouver
Sejad wrote: Yes I do know there’s two batteries lol. When I was reading the manual, it seems if the hybrid engine battery is drained the car won’t start. I have no clue what is connected to what so I don’t want to mess with it.
In most hybrids the 12v system and the hybrid engine battery are completely separate, and one does not affect the other. Designs differ between the different manufacturers though, and I have heard of hybrids that can use the engine battery to start the car. In many cases hybrid engines have safety systems that won't allow the engine to start if one subsystem is down. But for example in a Prius if you drain the 12v battery, you won't be able to start the car because the starter runs off the 12v battery.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1949 posts
1476 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: I would disagree - this dashcam with the Sony IMX323 sensor is as good as any cam in its price range for night recording.

You have to understand the problem with night recording and reading licence plates in order to know what you're looking for in a sensor. The reason you have trouble reading licence plates when the car is in motion is that the image of the licence plate on the sensor is moving during the frame time, causing it to be blurred. When you're stopped at a light and the other car is too, everything is nice and sharp. The only way to capture a sharp image while moving is to have a shorter frame time, like 60 Hz or even 120 Hz recording. But with a shorter frame time, the pixels gather less light, so the signal has to be amplified more. You are amplifying the noise along with the signal, so unless you increase the signal-to-noise ratio of the sensor, you will get a noisy image that's just as bad as motion blur once you smooth out the noise. The problem gets worse at night because there is less ambient light, so the signal has to be amplified even more. You get a better signal-to-noise ratio by using a larger sensor chip with bigger pixels that gather more light in a given frame time. Bigger sensor chip means more expensive, and it's the single most expensive component of the dashcam, so expect it to drive the price.

With a dashcam like this using the IMX323 chip, you will get a decently-exposed image at night, and it will look reasonably sharp at first glance. But when you look at the image details in areas close to the car where there is fast relative motion, you will see lack of detail because the image has been amplified to hit the desired exposure and the increased noise has been more aggressively smoothed out.
So are the 60 fps dashcams better at capturing license plates while in motion and with the lights at night?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7831 posts
8519 upvotes
Vancouver
adilh53 wrote: So are the 60 fps dashcams better at capturing license plates while in motion and with the lights at night?
There's no way to know without looking at more detailed sensor specs, i.e., the sensitivity and signal-to-noise ratio. A sensor chip manufacturer can put more pixels on the same chip area and increase the maximum frame rate to pump up the headline specs (2k resolution! 60 fps!) without increasing their manufacturing cost very much because it's the same chip area. But neither of those things will improve the ability to read moving licence plates or make out more detail in low-light images at night as long as the underlying chip remains the same.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2015
1340 posts
1977 upvotes
I once had a super expensive Garmin fail on me and couldn't be repaired. After that I use a cheap chinese brand Apeman something mini. But it has helped during accidents and also just peace of mind. The quality will not be that good. Especially night time or rainy weather. The sensors and resolution are just not good enough.

But it comes down to peace of mind, price, and general usefulness. $99 for solid dual cam 1080p front and rear is huge. Even if you don't hardwire. They have enough internal battery to record in the event of a collision detection. Just having a front dash cam has kind of been bad because it won't necessarily get the plate if it is a sideswipe etc.

I am likely going to buy these. Can always pay car guys to install hardwired if you want. But I will see how it is just by normal connections first. The quality of 1080p is good enough to save you in terms of rear enders of erratic driving etc. If you have a super expensive vehicle splurge and get Blackvue 4K or something. Otherwise these will suffice.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37687 posts
5446 upvotes
Winnipeg
SizzleChest wrote: https://www.amazon.ca/AUKEY-Hardwire-De ... ics&sr=1-1

Aukey also has a motion sensing hardwire kit that plugs into the ODB-II port.
What does this mean? Time lapse recording will capture 30 images per second?

Time-Lapse Recording: Switch on time-lapse recording in ‘Setup.’ This
function will capture a picture per second to make a video played at
30fps
WTB amazon gc @90%