Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] AUKEY Dual Dash Cam, 1080P HD Front and Rear Camera, 6-Lane 170° Wide-Angle Lens

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2018 1:40 pm
[OP]
May 9, 2015
184 posts
167 upvotes
Guelph, ON

[Amazon Canada] AUKEY Dual Dash Cam, 1080P HD Front and Rear Camera, 6-Lane 170° Wide-Angle Lens

78 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2010
2414 posts
1942 upvotes
Calgary
You beat me to it, OP.

My dual setup is great. I added the $20 (US) GPS antenna (not available in Canada, and Amazon.com won't ship it here, but there are a few on eBay.ca and .com). Info: https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Antenna-Da ... B072BPP411

I'd say this Aukey is the best dual system hands down at even $180. If I was just getting one for forward facing, I'd opt for the 4K, which is somewhat sharper, though the 1080p units are no slouch.

Note that these coupons have ended Sunday night in the past.

These are capacitor units, so there is no true parking mode. If you supply always-on power to it, you can manually set up motion detection or time interval each time you want to use it, but it is not instant-on. I'm never going to bother with that; I just leave it running in parking lots as my car's accessory socket is always on. I forgot to unplug it one night, and it drained my battery over a couple of days.

Temperature operating range is much wider than most battery units.

Comprehensive Review:

Last edited by FatWallet on Jun 20th, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
In your pants!
Feb 25, 2013
5 posts
9 upvotes
Vancouver
FatWallet wrote:
Jun 20th, 2018 12:04 am
You beat me to it, OP.

My dual setup is great. I added the $20 (US) GPS antenna (not available in Canada, and Amazon.com won't ship it here, but there are a few on eBay.ca and .com). Info: https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Antenna-Da ... B072BPP411

I'd say this Aukey is the best dual system hands down at even $180. If I was just getting one for forward facing, I'd opt for the 4K, which is somewhat sharper, though the 1080p units are no slouch.

Note that these coupons have ended Sunday night in the past.

These are capacitor units, so there is no true parking mode. If you supply always-on power to it, you can manually set up motion detection or time interval each time you want to use it, but it is not instant-on. I'm never going to bother with that; I just leave it running in parking lots as my car's accessory socket is always on. I forgot to unplug it one night, and it drained my battery over a couple of days.

Temperature operating range is much wider than most battery units.
I keep a rotation of 10000mah powerbanks to plug it in. Lasts for about 8 hours of 2CH recording for one powerbank. I'm scared of draining my car battery lol.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3023 posts
2051 upvotes
FatWallet wrote:
Jun 20th, 2018 12:04 am
These are capacitor units, so there is no true parking mode. If you supply always-on power to it, you can manually set up motion detection or time interval each time you want to use it, but it is not instant-on.
I just leave mine permanently set to motion-detection mode, because that causes it to auto-start recording as soon as the car starts to move, and keep on recording until the car is parked for a few minutes with no motion in front of the camera.
Oct 19, 2013
13 posts
2 upvotes
Richmond, BC
Thank you so much. Have been waiting for this.
Jan 7, 2014
667 posts
182 upvotes
calgary
is this any beter than Yi?
May 7, 2006
285 posts
24 upvotes
Vancouver
I noticed the night vision on this camera is not that good, during play back. If you pause frames and such , plates are blurry very hard to get accurate reading of vehicles. As well, the night time driving major reflections. Day time, is perfect.

Think I will have just end up, getting one from Black Box my car and get a Korean one.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
4404 posts
787 upvotes
blitz23 wrote:
Jun 20th, 2018 2:22 am
hows this 4k?
its 'fake' 4k, most 4k dashcams are fake rez , u want real 4k its gonna cost over 200+ at least, i was reading googling, something bout the camera not having an 8MP lense or something 8mp = real 4k , fake ones got 4mp

also aukey cams are NOT wifi and no app right? unlike the nice app of the yi dashcam, its PITA to take out microSD card from cam, it always bounces/springs out and u can easily lose it in the dark car floor
*SIG: OptiPlex™ 790 i5-2400 @3.1ghz 12gb DDR3 ram win10pro w/radeon rx460 rogers 500u @$24.99 using D-Link DIR-890L AC3200
Apr 27, 2012
260 posts
105 upvotes
Ottawa
My car's power outlet is always on. I just installed this and the camera continues to record even when parked and my car is not on. Does anyone know how to turn the unit off or my power outlet off automatically when my car turns off? I don't want to have a dead battery is I don't use the car for a couple of days especially in the winter!
Banned
Aug 27, 2017
142 posts
60 upvotes
benzylique wrote:
Jun 20th, 2018 7:04 am
My car's power outlet is always on. I just installed this and the camera continues to record even when parked and my car is not on. Does anyone know how to turn the unit off or my power outlet off automatically when my car turns off? I don't want to have a dead battery is I don't use the car for a couple of days especially in the winter!
LOL try mentioning your car model first?

the EASIEST way is to buy a hardwire kit (~20 no tax on prime) and then attach it to a circuit like power windows if you have an American car. For German cars it's very model specific but same level of difficulty.
Apr 27, 2012
260 posts
105 upvotes
Ottawa
tawpkek wrote:
Jun 20th, 2018 8:12 am

the EASIEST way is to buy a hardwire kit (~20 no tax on prime) and then attach it to a circuit like power windows if you have an American car. For German cars it's very model specific but same level of difficulty.
Sorry it's a Nissan Altima 2011. I'll look into it... Any equipment that's needed other than the kit?
Jul 15, 2003
586 posts
104 upvotes
Ottawa
tawpkek wrote:
Jun 20th, 2018 8:12 am

An even easier way is to use this OBD2 adapter - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B074YZ1GKL.

It can be set to either stay powered indefinitely or to automatically turn off five minutes after the car shuts down.

This one gives you the most flexibility with a USB jack at the end, but the same listing also has mini and micro versions.

I have one and it works wonderfully.