Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Aukey Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with Customizable RGB Backlight $45.49 (after coupon)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2021 1:23 am
Oct 19, 2019
398 posts
510 upvotes
Toronto Night Sky
flamingotripod wrote: How quiet are these switches? If someone was in a meeting by you could they hear it?
emjhay wrote: depending on the typist how mad they are in replying on an email. In general its fine.
Please do not spread out false information. This keyboard uses outemu blue switch which is one of the loudest switch you can get for a mechanical keyboard. I guarantee you if you are in the meeting with someone no matter how quiet you try to type they will still hear it crystal clear. At night, I promise your wife/partner will get angry at you and tell you to throw it away the next day.

If you are looking for a quiet switch then I would suggest either brown or red, but red can take some time to get used to its linear feedback.

If you are new to mech keys and want a quiet keyboard, you should skip all the blue switch no matter how cheap they are. Don't end up buying them because of the sale and then later become frustrated and return it.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1512 posts
875 upvotes
NOYB
catlover1299 wrote: Please do not spread out false information. This keyboard uses outemu blue switch which is one of the loudest switch you can get for a mechanical keyboard. I guarantee you if you are in the meeting with someone no matter how quiet you try to type they will still hear it crystal clear. At night, I promise your wife/partner will get angry at you and tell you to throw it away the next day.

If you are looking for a quiet switch then I would suggest either brown or red, but red can take some time to get used to its linear feedback.

If you are new to mech keys and want a quiet keyboard, you should skip all the blue switch no matter how cheap they are. Don't end up buying them because of the sale and then later become frustrated and return it.
No one is spreading misinformation.

They were talking about another reddragon keyboard with red switches that I posted in the thread, not this Aukey.
*Zoomer + VoIP.ms + Lucky Mobile + Public Mobile user* SPEND WISELY

Stay away from OT/PRC and whoever acts like genuine pieces of xxxxx there.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5489 posts
2100 upvotes
Debtario
birdbird wrote: ...That being said though, some keyboards are really hella expensive (Razer, Steelseries etc.). Are they truly "worth" the prices?
Hard to say, "worth" is highly subjective. A keyboard is one of the devices you constantly use to interact with your computer (other being mouse and monitor), so it may be worth it to buy something that feels good to use seeing as you'll be using it a lot, just for comfort/quality of life improvements.

With the gamer brands (razer, steelseries, corsair, logitech etc) I'd say not worth it - you are paying a premium for the name and marketing, but you usually also get plenty of bells and whistles like macros, customizing software, USB passthough, etc. Many of these brands also tout their custom/exclusive/in house switches that are supposed to make you a gaming god, but often than not turn out to be clones or other rebranded chinese switches.

With the actual premium keyboard brands like Filco, Leopold, and Varmillo, the focus tends to be on solid build quality and materials - everything from the PCB soldering to PBT doubleshot keycaps and using name brand or specialty switches, which drives up the cost considerably.

There are also better value contenders out there like the Anne pro 2, Durgod, and keychron that try to offer quality at more affordable prices.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Aug 11, 2014
388 posts
261 upvotes
How come there are so few deals on cheap/Chinese branded red switch mech keyboards?

Is it because people who look for a cheap entry-level board are attracted to the "omg clickyzzz" sound of blue switches?

Just something I never figured out.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5489 posts
2100 upvotes
Debtario
catlover1299 wrote: Please do not spread out false information. This keyboard uses outemu blue switch which is one of the loudest switch you can get for a mechanical keyboard. I guarantee you if you are in the meeting with someone no matter how quiet you try to type they will still hear it crystal clear. At night, I promise your wife/partner will get angry at you and tell you to throw it away the next day.

This is true. I love the feel of blue switches, but using it in a cubicle or late night in a household is a no-go. Maybe my family has sensitive hearing, but they can hear the blues going even from downstairs lol. Outemu blues are even louder than MX blues, and also have a metallic "ping" reverberation that seems to really travel, like a quiet but high-pitch bell ding.

Red switches aren't completely silent, only very quiet if you type without bottoming out, and even then you still get noise from the keys coming back up and stopping. otherwise good ol rubber dome or laptop chiclet keys are quieter. Reds are much more responsive and take less force to press, favoured by gamers, though some touch-typers say they make more typos with reds. IMHO I don't mind them, but I'm not a WPM speed champ either.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2011
2210 posts
464 upvotes
Winnipeg
I'm going to try this out for typing, cool!
😉
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2852 posts
1414 upvotes
I bought a Cherry Brown (Cooler Master Storm) tenkeyless keyboard 5 years ago. Still working like new. It's noticeable loud at night. Blue would be definitely bother everyone nearby anytime of the day.
Last edited by bogolisk on Jan 13th, 2021 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2852 posts
1414 upvotes
M1K3Z0R wrote: I felt the same way until I had to work with excel, for numerical data entry the numpad is quite efficient.

That said there are the TKL (no numpad) and 60% (No numpad, no arrow keys, no pgup/down/end/pause etc and no F keys) layouts if you want a keyboard that takes up less space.

Be careful what you wish for though, I got a ducky one 2 mini recently (60% layout) and while it is compact and awesome, you don't know how much you use the arrow keys and function keys until they are gone - or in my case you need to learn what function key they are mapped to, which if you change to custom keycaps you'll need to memorize lol.
I agree with you aboud arrow and function keys. However, I've switched to tenkeyless and never look back. Touch-typing is all from muscle memory. Mine doesn't doesn't remember the keypad, using it would just slow me down.
Last edited by bogolisk on Jan 13th, 2021 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
May 27, 2008
287 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
Any good recommendations or sales on a full keyboard (with num pad) with brown switches?
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2006
1604 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
Outemu Blues are really nice, dunno what is with all the hate.

I'd go for this if only it was Hot Swappable though haha, only going that route for future keyboards unfortunately.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5489 posts
2100 upvotes
Debtario
bogolisk wrote: I agree with you aboud arrow and function keys. However, I've switched to tenless and never look back. Touch-typing is all from muscle memory. Mine doesn't doesn't remember the keypad, using it would just slow me down.
TKL is the perfect compromise IMO.

Still rocking my CM storm Quickfire rapid TKL from 2012. It was made by costar, same OEM as Filco and it's a beast. Only $50 back then, though it came with ABS keycaps that have worn smooth by now.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1926 posts
1619 upvotes
Toronto
3express wrote: How come there are so few deals on cheap/Chinese branded red switch mech keyboards?

Is it because people who look for a cheap entry-level board are attracted to the "omg clickyzzz" sound of blue switches?

Just something I never figured out.
I'd guess it's the other way around - i think Reds and Browns at some level sells better as they're advertise it for gaming, leaving blues collecting behind, so they'd need discount it to make way.
JonR29230 wrote: Would any of you guys recommend the Razer V3 keyboard?
I don't think it's a particularly bad looking board and all, but it's a bit hard for me to recommend Razers. They are not cheap, not particularly good (quality-wise) for their price range, their lack of customisation is a bit annoying - some don't really care about it, just want a keyboard and done, but some might want some different caps or switches...

Kagaho wrote: Want a smaller one. No need for the Numpad. Who uses the Numpad?
I use my keeb for both work and light gaming - while I could use the extra mouse space by going TKL, numpad is rather useful for work...
I've been playing mostly csgo these days, so Im still using the whole board (and annoyed a bit by the space it takes from the desk), but when I'm playing LoL, I just use a 22-key keyboard gamepad (which funnily enough is a numpad, but used sideways) and push my keyboard out of the way.

birdbird wrote: Probably passing on this because blue switches will probably drive me insane with the noise lol.

Will wait for a red switch hot deal.

That being said though, some keyboards are really hella expensive (Razer, Steelseries etc.). Are they truly "worth" the prices?
@M1K3Z0R nailed it - but to add on benefits from brands like razer, corsair, logitech, and such is the after-sale. It's a lot easier to walk through warranty on those brands if you need. But it's hardly worth it price wise. A decent keyboard should in theory last a few decades of hard use (see IBM Model M for example, you can see lots of keyboards from early 90s still in perfect form) - so having to worry about after-sale on those prices is just beyond me. If they were all sub 100, fair game, but closer to 300 its almost laughable
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14550 posts
5742 upvotes
Ottawa
I love typing on clicky switches. I have a MX Blue switch keyboard and also picked up a Unicomp Ultra Classic....the closest thing you can get to a modern Model M...to relive the fond memories of typing on those IBM keyboards.

However, I don't like gaming on them, cause if I do any gaming, it will be late at night. It just makes too much of a racket. Also, the extra actuation force seems counterproductive...I feel that it slows me down if anything....not that I'm a elite gamer but I don't need the keyboard to resist me.....Browns and Reds all the way
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Dec 19, 2015
272 posts
74 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
M1K3Z0R wrote: Hard to say, "worth" is highly subjective. A keyboard is one of the devices you constantly use to interact with your computer (other being mouse and monitor), so it may be worth it to buy something that feels good to use seeing as you'll be using it a lot, just for comfort/quality of life improvements.

With the gamer brands (razer, steelseries, corsair, logitech etc) I'd say not worth it - you are paying a premium for the name and marketing, but you usually also get plenty of bells and whistles like macros, customizing software, USB passthough, etc. Many of these brands also tout their custom/exclusive/in house switches that are supposed to make you a gaming god, but often than not turn out to be clones or other rebranded chinese switches.

With the actual premium keyboard brands like Filco, Leopold, and Varmillo, the focus tends to be on solid build quality and materials - everything from the PCB soldering to PBT doubleshot keycaps and using name brand or specialty switches, which drives up the cost considerably.

There are also better value contenders out there like the Anne pro 2, Durgod, and keychron that try to offer quality at more affordable prices.
Thank you for the explanation! Do you have any recommendations for keyboards? I'll be in the market for one eventually and I've actually never heard of Filco, Leopold, Varmillo.
neonic wrote: @M1K3Z0R nailed it - but to add on benefits from brands like razer, corsair, logitech, and such is the after-sale. It's a lot easier to walk through warranty on those brands if you need. But it's hardly worth it price wise. A decent keyboard should in theory last a few decades of hard use (see IBM Model M for example, you can see lots of keyboards from early 90s still in perfect form) - so having to worry about after-sale on those prices is just beyond me. If they were all sub 100, fair game, but closer to 300 its almost laughable
Same question, any recommendations? Light gaming, mostly productivity I'd say. Don't really care for RGB, but if it has it at only a slight premium then sure.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1926 posts
1619 upvotes
Toronto
birdbird wrote: Thank you for the explanation! Do you have any recommendations for keyboards? I'll be in the market for one eventually and I've actually never heard of Filco, Leopold, Varmillo.

Same question, any recommendations? Light gaming, mostly productivity I'd say. Don't really care for RGB, but if it has it at only a slight premium then sure.

Depends on your budget and where you're buying it.
The Hexgears from aliexpress is a very interesting keyboard, it's probably the most affordable hot-swappable switches.

Durgod and Keychron are somewhat new brands, that are getting lot of attention these days, you probably can get them on major retailers like amazon, canada computers and ME, and some not so known stores like DeskHero and OneofZero;
On those stores you probably can find some Ducky, which might be a great buy, as they often come with PBT caps and good building quality,

Filco are really expensive (here) these days, used to be a lot cheaper when we had NCIX around (I bought mine for $110, back in 2016 for example) so it's hard to suggest something like it. Rosewill RK-9000v2 is somewhat similar to the Filco Majestouch series, as @M1K3Z0R mentioned his quickfire, this rosewill model is also Costar "made" - quotes because I don't think costar actually make them, as in they don't have the actual factories, but hire and do a great quality control.

HyperX have some decently priced models, good build quality, but I don't know about their newer models with "in-house" switches.

Might be a bit pricier here, but I got a Glorious GMMK few years ago on massdrop/drop for like 90 (USD), its a decent option on that price point as well.
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Sep 15, 2018
172 posts
93 upvotes
Ottawa
sphish wrote: Razer Huntsman Mechanical-Optical switches are more of a muted click. Bestbuy has the Gears of War 5 edition for $99 until Thursday.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ra ... h/14769598

Based on youtube reviews and playing with the arrow keys in store. The Logitech G512SE is also more of a muted click but unless you're willing to wait for another $69.99 sale, it's not worth spending full price on since there are other keyboards available around $150+ that offer far more features.
is the razer blue switch keyboard?
Nov 23, 2004
635 posts
982 upvotes
Ontario
93srvman wrote: Any good recommendations or sales on a full keyboard (with num pad) with brown switches?
Check out the Durgod K310 on Amazon. I use the K320 with brown switches and really love it (had it 1.5yrs now, daily driver 8-10hrs a day). My wife just bought the K310 which is the version with the numpad. Great looking and feeling keyboard.