• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2021 12:12 pm
[OP]
Jan 28, 2021
145 posts
330 upvotes
Little Portugal

[Amazon.ca] AUKEY Mini Dash Cam 1080p Full HD Dash Camera for $49.99+FS

I found a deal on Aukey Mini dash cam, reg $66.99, you could use the code on the page to save $17. Shipping is free.
$17 off with promo code M4MZEPG5

Features:
  • Compact Design : This small, low-profile dash camera for cars can be perfectly hidden behind the rear mirror, ready to back you up in the event of any incident on the road.. Besides, the operation is simple and friendly to new users
  • Sharp Video Quality and WDR Technology : GC2053 CMOS sensor with 1080p recording & wide dynamic range captures clear high-definition video even at night
  • Full Six-Lane View : Wider coverage with 170° field of view means greater protection. The wide-angle lens of this car dashboard covers more, capturing crucial peripheral actions
  • Emergency Recording & Loop Recording : Emergency Recording automatically captures unexpected driving incidents and protects the recordings from overwriting by loop recording. Loop Recording allows continuous use by writing over old, unneeded footage.
  • 24h Parking Monitoring : Used with AUKEY PM-YY hardwire kit (NOT INCLUDE) can realize all-day monitoring even your car is turned off.
Images
  • 61NNka5HV2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
  • a.png
Thread Summary
Looking for more options? Check out RFD Reviews' list of the best dash cams!
43 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4868 posts
1409 upvotes
Wat
No mention of whether this is a capacitor dashcam?
Jul 19, 2011
65 posts
10 upvotes
KANATA
Wiseman wrote: No mention of whether this is a capacitor dashcam?
Dashcamtalk https://dashcamtalk.com/aukey-dra5-mini/
Should I Purchase?

The AUKEY DRA5 Mini is a simple, discreet dash cam with decent video quality. The use of a capacitor instead of a lithium battery and a 24 month warranty are strong positives.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
1624 posts
482 upvotes
Vancouver
Excellent for the price only feature I wish it had is wifi.
Mar 21, 2005
199 posts
69 upvotes
I’ve been looking for a dash cam. I will wait for a WiFi one.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
3585 posts
2271 upvotes
Kitchener
ultimate wrote: I’ve been looking for a dash cam. I will wait for a WiFi one.
For some reason, I said that in my head with a Russian accent.
Why can't we all just get along?
Mar 10, 2011
378 posts
274 upvotes
Niagara
jeff1970 wrote: For some reason, I said that in my head with a Russian accent.
Why? Why? Why you do this? I go back and read and now everything is in Russian accent.
See sumtin'. Say sumtin'. ('less someone else already did)
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2539 posts
366 upvotes
Burnaby
good to know.
ASUS RAMPAGE II EXTREME; i7-950; GTX 560; 16G Mem; 2TB HD; 24x DVD-RAM;
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4895 posts
4969 upvotes
Vancouver
Gotta love their illustration of the 170 deg wide angle view - which is complete nonsense draw up by some marketing hack who didn't understand how it works. The Aukey cameras actually have about a 140 deg horizontal angle of view in the image, which is the widest that makes sense without distorting the image. In order to provide that horizontal angle of view, the lens itself needs a wider circular angle of view. The rectangular image sensor has to fit inside that circle, with about a 5% margin all around to avoid lens edge effects.
Nov 16, 2013
252 posts
414 upvotes
New Brunswick
I travel for work and have had a dash cam for a year and a half. A dash cam is meant to provide proof in the case of an accident. You do not need wi-fi. I’ve travelled over 50,000 KMs since I got this dash cam and I haven’t had to access it ONCE because it’s a dash cam and I haven’t had an accident.

Great price. Will pick one up for my wife’s car.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
1058 posts
938 upvotes
EverJay wrote: I travel for work and have had a dash cam for a year and a half. A dash cam is meant to provide proof in the case of an accident. You do not need wi-fi. I’ve travelled over 50,000 KMs since I got this dash cam and I haven’t had to access it ONCE because it’s a dash cam and I haven’t had an accident.

I think wifi is a useful feature as you can easily check to see if your camera is working. Start up the app, connect via wifi, see if it recorded my last trip. Something you should do once a month is check to see if you can retrieve recorded video off your unit.
Oct 12, 2020
48 posts
46 upvotes
EverJay wrote: I travel for work and have had a dash cam for a year and a half. A dash cam is meant to provide proof in the case of an accident. You do not need wi-fi. I’ve travelled over 50,000 KMs since I got this dash cam and I haven’t had to access it ONCE because it’s a dash cam and I haven’t had an accident.

You should still access it at least once a month to make sure it's still recording to the card, Wi-Fi just makes this easier. The last thing you want is to notice that it wasn't working when you're in an accident. I had a cheap fake 4K Chinese dash cam and decided to upgrade to a garmin 56 and Wi-Fi is just so much better than having to take out the SD card, get an adapter for your phone, and deal with slow transfer speeds.
Jul 15, 2017
28 posts
41 upvotes
I just recently bought a car and am new to dash cams. Do I need anything else to install this and does anyone have a link to a guide I can follow? I drive a 2010 Honda Civic.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2713 posts
1286 upvotes
Are you gotta do is buy a micro SD card adapter to plug it into your phone to see the latest files if you wanted to show someone at the actual scene of a crime. This is what I do and it works fine. And if you just want to check your dash cam once a month just unhook the whole cam and plug it into your computer I have the Aukey dr02 model
Nov 24, 2012
389 posts
214 upvotes
Saint-Laurent

You are missing a big % of morons on our roads !!! When you would want to upload videos almost daily...WIFI is king !

Aug 11, 2014
547 posts
428 upvotes
Even without wifi, this would still be convenient enough for people with phones that have a microSD slot.

At this point in 2021, I'm not sure if more or fewer than 50% of people still have phones with microSD slots tbh.
Jun 18, 2016
597 posts
1666 upvotes
raver4444 wrote: You are missing a big % of morons on our roads !!! When you would want to upload videos almost daily...WIFI is king !

Literally no one cares that you were upset about someone on the road for 16 seconds of your day.

Thank you for sharing though, it clears up one thing for me. I’ve always wondered what type of people post these bottom of the barrel videos to the internet. Now I know.