Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

AUKEY USB-C Portable Charger 30000mAh with Power Delivery

[OP]
Nov 3, 2016
51 posts
17 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] AUKEY USB-C Portable Charger 30000mAh with Power Delivery

It's the highest capacity PD-charging powerbank battery available and it's the cheapest I've seen, lower than the Amazon USA price of US$69.99 and cheaper than the lower capacity Ravpower one.

If you have a MacBook or the Nintendo Switch and want to extend the battery life, this is a great gadget to have. However be advised it can theoretically cause troubles with the TSA due to its 100+Wh capacity, which I believe technically requires a written permission from the airline.
Last edited by WashingLane on Aug 14th, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
14 replies
Apr 9, 2012
404 posts
167 upvotes
where do you see the 100W? Looking for something portable for my xps 15
[OP]
Nov 3, 2016
51 posts
17 upvotes
giju wrote: where do you see the 100W? Looking for something portable for my xps 15
Because the battery is 30000mah and lithium is usually 3.7v, the theoretical capacity would be 30000 x 3.7 = 111 Watt-hours. The actual usable capacity is usually 10% less than that.

100W is the limit imposed by the TSA for carry-on without any extra approval
Lithium batteries with more than 100 watt hours may be allowed in carry-on bags with airline approval, but are limited to two spare batteries per passenger. Loose lithium batteries are prohibited in checked bags. For more information, see the FAA regulations on batteries.
I don't think most TSA agents will care but if one of them wants to be extra rule-abiding, this could be troublesome.
Apr 3, 2007
210 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
The battery indicator of those models drives me nuts.

It starts blinking white when it hits 70% charge and that never stops. So when you take it off the charger, you never know if it's 70%, 100%, or something in-between. At 30000mAh, if you unplug it at 70% because of the while blinking light, you would carry a heavy brick charged 9000mAh less that what you think, i.e. some 3+ full charges less that what you've planned for on your next camping trip.
How hard is it to make the light stop blinking and show steady white when it's 100%, or comply with the de-facto standard of 4 LEDs showing 0-25-50-75-100%, or even simply show the actual percentage.

I got burned a few times with the smaller ones and wouldn't recommend it, unless you want to develop some anxiety issues after a few trips :)
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
22069 posts
1768 upvotes
Shanghai, China
How long does it take to recharge the battery?
[OP]
Nov 3, 2016
51 posts
17 upvotes
Sgt_Strider wrote: How long does it take to recharge the battery?
This is what I saw at the Amazon comment section.
* Charging Time with USB-C Cable (5V 3A) ~9hrs
* Charging Time with USB-C Cable (14.5V 2A) ~4hrs
* Charging Time with Micro USB Cable ~12hrs
* Charging Time with Micro USB Cable + USB-C Cable (5V 4A) ~8hrs
So best to charge it with your Switch or MacBook charger. Otherwise it can take 8-12 hours to fully charge it.
marvinandro wrote: The battery indicator of those models drives me nuts.

It starts blinking white when it hits 70% charge and that never stops. So when you take it off the charger, you never know if it's 70%, 100%, or something in-between. At 30000mAh, if you unplug it at 70% because of the while blinking light, you would carry a heavy brick charged 9000mAh less that what you think, i.e. some 3+ full charges less that what you've planned for on your next camping trip.
How hard is it to make the light stop blinking and show steady white when it's 100%, or comply with the de-facto standard of 4 LEDs showing 0-25-50-75-100%, or even simply show the actual percentage.

I got burned a few times with the smaller ones and wouldn't recommend it, unless you want to develop some anxiety issues after a few trips :)
I agree and I've also have burned by batteries with supposedly "actual" indicators. So now I just let them all charge fully overnight.
Mar 17, 2008
663 posts
164 upvotes
Ravpower is 456 g (for 26,800) vs 640 g for this Aukey (30,000) and it is also less bulky.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
22069 posts
1768 upvotes
Shanghai, China
WashingLane wrote: This is what I saw at the Amazon comment section.

So best to charge it with your Switch or MacBook charger. Otherwise it can take 8-12 hours to fully charge it.

I agree and I've also have burned by batteries with supposedly "actual" indicators. So now I just let them all charge fully overnight.
You mean if I plug the Aukey battery to my MacBook Pro charger via USB-C, it'll fully recharge in about 4 hours?
[OP]
Nov 3, 2016
51 posts
17 upvotes
Yes, the Switch and Macbook chargers support the faster PD charging standard and should cut down the charging time by about half.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
22069 posts
1768 upvotes
Shanghai, China
Is this external battery capable of charging and powering the Switch at the same time?
Jul 21, 2015
291 posts
323 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Anyone seen tests of these?

I know of practically* no OEM USB-C charger that is Benson tested and approved, they all fail one way or another, and depending on the nature of the failure, potentially damage your device.
And I haven't seen anyone else test USB-C things as thoroughly as he does.

* there's a single 15W wall charger that he approves.
[OP]
Nov 3, 2016
51 posts
17 upvotes
I don't know if it charges while powering another device.

Other than Benson Leung there is NathanK who does in-depth testing of USB-C peripherals but he hasn't tested this one yet. He did review the Ravpower one. https://plus.google.com/102612254593917 ... NH22inUQAw it's not great but doesn't look dangerous or completely broken.

At this point I will probably accept even a marginally functioning PD charging battery.
Jan 16, 2009
256 posts
146 upvotes
Lethbridge
Sgt_Strider wrote: Is this external battery capable of charging and powering the Switch at the same time?
I emailed Aukey about the power bank charging itself while powering other devices, and they don't recommend it, saying it could damage the batter. I otherwise quite like mine... I have a Windows tablet that I use, and it's nice to be able to drastically extend its battery life without having to find an outlet.
Banned
Oct 13, 2015
1245 posts
826 upvotes
Sainte-Dorothee, QC
If it can dump start the car engine should be perfect. Thanks
Jan 16, 2009
256 posts
146 upvotes
Lethbridge
likemontreal wrote: If it can dump start the car engine should be perfect. Thanks
Sure you've got the right thread? This is a power bank, but not one of those jump starter power banks.