Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] AWANFI Jump Starter 1200A Peak Current 18000mAh Multi-Function Car Jump Starter - $69.98

• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2020 2:48 pm
[OP]
Oct 14, 2008
858 posts
291 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] AWANFI Jump Starter 1200A Peak Current 18000mAh Multi-Function Car Jump Starter - $69.98

I've been browsing for a cheap jump starter because one of my cars has needed a jump a couple of times recently. On both occasions I didn't have access to another vehicle at the time so my old fasioned Jumper cables were of no use. More of a peace of mind purchase.

Anyways, for a standard mid size it seems anything over 400 peak amps should be good enough. This one has a $20 coupon bringing the price down to $69.98 and looks to be a good price/value for specs/features/battery/accessories that you get.

https://www.amazon.ca/AWANFI-Starter-18 ... B07XQ8NMBC
5 replies
Dec 14, 2013
60 posts
52 upvotes
AJAX
Still waiting for a charger that can be used to charge a car via the cigarette lighter.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
6774 posts
1635 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
aandaleb wrote: Still waiting for a charger that can be used to charge a car via the cigarette lighter.
How would that work if the car battery is dead?
If you're talking solar or crank powered, those things have been around for a long time but don't work as well.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
13119 posts
4804 upvotes
Toronto, ON
newt_101 wrote: How would that work if the car battery is dead?
If you're talking solar or crank powered, those things have been around for a long time but don't work as well.
I think he's talking about jump starting a car using a charger/battery hooked up to the cigarette lighter/12V power outlet instead of connecting directly to the 12V battery. The problem with that is that typically the cigarette lighter/12V power outlet is protected by a fuse of around 10amps. But in order to jump start the car, you'll need much more than that. So I don't think it will ever work using the cigarette lighter/12v power outlet.

I did see a video that featured a supercapacitor charger that connected to a "dead" battery via the cigarette lighter to build up enough power to jump start a car. It works by drawing from a car bettery that still has power but not enough to start a car and build up its internal capacitors. Not really the ideal device though because you need to wait to "charge up" the booster. It's featured in this video starting at 6:51:

Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9385 posts
2018 upvotes
Winnipeg
aandaleb wrote: Still waiting for a charger that can be used to charge a car via the cigarette lighter.
there is. I have it. Its an 12v charging adapter cable with meter its called a "jump starter helper". You can't jump thru the a 12v socket. The fuse,port and awg are insufficent they will burn out. You can charge a little tho. So the 12v plug goes to the jumper cable port. It has a meter and indicates battery charge level and slowly charges as best as it can to bring it up if too low to start. I believe it has a light when done or when it can no longer offer enough juice to raise beyond the acceptable level to start.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B073P6 ... UTF8&psc=1

but it only works if its just a little below and healthy battery.Its really not that great can't charge long enough fast enough that route as those lithium jumpers are mostly what capacitor jumpers? Charge the capacitor for brief peak amerpage for short bursts to turn it over so the alternator takes over?

It basically all works under the same principle as this which you could add to any 12v supply port on any jump starter or even another car

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/wagan-tech ... 0104226051