• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2021 4:18 pm
[OP]
Dec 19, 2009
5 posts
23 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

[Amazon.ca] Backyard compostable leaf plates - 25 pack

I use these every now and then as my choice of disposable plates and bowls. They are pretty good and made from leaves only. Only problem is they are more expensive than usual disposable plates, but I don't mind because they are pretty and environmentally friendly. Was surprised to find $10 off coupon and this is the lowest price they have been for all variants. The 50 pack bowls are also $10 off and they can be found at https://www.amazon.ca/Foliumware-Compos ... r=8-8&th=1
81nPEZVKFiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Not all those who squander are lost...
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 21, 2015
9869 posts
66527 upvotes
Ontario
100% SHILL!!! or the owner.

No rfders will spend that much money just to be "environmental friendly"

I think Costco plates are biodegradable as well. They also have plates that are made with palm leaves
Last edited by Thatdealguy on Jan 23rd, 2021 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Costco is closed today (April 4th 2021) even in Quebec
Deal Fanatic
Dec 7, 2011
9423 posts
14409 upvotes
$16 for 25 plates... You do realize this is RFD don't you?

I agree about wanting to cut down on waste, but at this point in time, I'm more concerned about saving money.

Sorry OP, maybe you weren't financially affected by covid.

Even then, I fail to see how this is a hot deal.
Apr 29, 2007
642 posts
314 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Hmmm interesting idea
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4752 posts
3251 upvotes
At this price you could just get regular plates and wash them and be more efficient at saving the planet.

Delivery from Amazon for disposable plates is the worst thing you can do to the planet.
Feb 6, 2015
56 posts
44 upvotes
Mississauga
It's a deal on the original price for a product that has been reused and renewed, I think it's fantastic - if everyone converted to using leaves, twigs and bamboo plus heat press instead of paper, plastic or styrofoam....Oh the cascade of events that would happen! Upvote!
Jul 8, 2013
184 posts
183 upvotes
AMHERST
Crasstar2002 wrote: It's a deal on the original price for a product that has been reused and renewed, I think it's fantastic - if everyone converted to using leaves, twigs and bamboo plus heat press instead of paper, plastic or styrofoam....Oh the cascade of events that would happen! Upvote!
Also Upvote for this reason! I don’t think many of will need disposable plates until after the pandemic anyway, but a deal is a deal

And it is my wish also that “made with ____ fibre” dishes get kicked out to make way for authentic products like those! Plastic mixed with bamboo =/= 100% bamboo
Sep 1, 2008
374 posts
462 upvotes
These RFD people are bashing on a $16 item after $10 off, but having no problem with $80 espresso mugs after $30 off. Oh the hypocrisy!
Nov 10, 2011
860 posts
819 upvotes
St. Catharines
Thatdealguy wrote: I think Costco plates are biodegradable as well. They also have plates that are made with palm leaves
$28 for 50 from Costco.ca, shipping included. 8" square plates. $31.63 after tax. Would be cheaper if available in warehouse.

1 package from Amazon costs $15.99 (free shipping, no tax), 2 packages cost $41.98
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some days I think that I am the only person who knows how to use Google.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3251 posts
1996 upvotes
Montreal
Aren't all paper plates biodegradable/compostable, even the ones from dollar store?

Seems like such an expensive/pointless product unless you are hosting a posh greeny orgy.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1931 posts
544 upvotes
WL1980 wrote: At this price you could just get regular plates and wash them and be more efficient at saving the planet.

Delivery from Amazon for disposable plates is the worst thing you can do to the planet.
Yeah, but that would involve some actual work, and who wants to do that to "save the planet"? Much more convenient to have these overpriced, pretentious-friendly eco plates delivered to your home by environmentally-friendly cargo planes and diesel trucks than to actually wash regular plates.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1433 posts
481 upvotes
Ottawa
OP i upvoted because i think it is good that people care about the environment. However i highly doubt that these are any more environmentally friendly than your regular paper plate. If it carries such a high price, you would assume the amount of processing required to make them should be also higher.

The most environmentally friendly choice is regular plates.
Feb 5, 2008
75 posts
25 upvotes
St Catharines
csi123 wrote:
The most environmentally friendly choice is regular plates.
Then let the dog lick them clean, and back into the cupboard. No water wasted and good for the environment, plus a happy dog.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2006
1503 posts
750 upvotes
Edmonton
Thatdealguy wrote: 100% SHILL!!! or the owner.

I think Costco plates are biodegradable as well. They also have plates that are made with palm leaves
Cool your jets champ. No need to be so accusatory.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6431 posts
288 upvotes
Etobicoke
Using tree leaves to wrap food is a great idea and is practiced in many places around the world. These leaf plates look very cool. I would definitely use it in place of paper plates. But the price is just too high considering it is designed to be single-use just like paper. If it can be cleaned in the dish washer and reused a few times (to make the cost equiv with paper plates) I would definitely go for it.
Jan 4, 2011
49 posts
31 upvotes
Wow expensive $$$... totally pointless to buy regardless of whether you are a treehugger or not, we can't have house parties or gatherings for any type of celebration in most part of Cdn.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
3466 posts
532 upvotes
Toronto
Thatdealguy wrote: 100% SHILL!!! or the owner.

Not too sure about that.

Many have bought a tesla for this reason, and it's pretty expensive for what you get...
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
3466 posts
532 upvotes
Toronto
csi123 wrote: The most environmentally friendly choice is regular plates.
I think these have a different purpose. For example, road trips, destination stays, home events (for the future of course), picnics, etc.

Heck, even fast food businesses could start using something similar. Just like any new "technology," the more who adopt it, the cheaper it will become.