• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2021 4:33 pm
[OP]
Sep 22, 2010
528 posts
573 upvotes
Victoria

[Amazon.ca] Behringer Ultra-Linear Measurement Condenser Microphone $55.53

Not quite at the all time low of $46.98. Linear Microphone for analyzing room acoustics.

Anyone have any experience with this one?
21 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
2081 posts
1105 upvotes
SW ON
Why would anyone need it?
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2003
3078 posts
324 upvotes
Vancouver
alpovs wrote: Why would anyone need it?
For their OnlyFans recordings.
Jan 13, 2013
498 posts
521 upvotes
Saguenay, QC
calvados.boualrd wrote: Not quite at the all time low of $46.98. Linear Microphone for analyzing room acoustics.

Anyone have any experience with this one?
Let's say I'm starting to record myself singing from time to time, very amateur stuff, would a beginner benefits from using this?

I'm currently using a USB Condenser Mic with ASIO4ALL with Reaper so I have nothing remotely semi-pro for now, but I'm starting to look into it to improve the quality of my recordings.
Jul 8, 2009
110 posts
36 upvotes
Montreal
orditeck wrote: Let's say I'm starting to record myself singing from time to time, very amateur stuff, would a beginner benefits from using this?

I'm currently using a USB Condenser Mic with ASIO4ALL with Reaper so I have nothing remotely semi-pro for now, but I'm starting to look into it to improve the quality of my recordings.
Just wait until the Blu Yeti goes back on sale. Best bang for the bucks podcast wise.
--
Jan 13, 2013
498 posts
521 upvotes
Saguenay, QC
chuck_0 wrote: Just wait until the Blu Yeti goes back on sale. Best bang for the bucks podcast wise.
Except I'm not talking about podcast but amateur singing
[OP]
Sep 22, 2010
528 posts
573 upvotes
Victoria
alpovs wrote: Why would anyone need it?
Did you not read the OP?

Linear Microphone for analyzing room acoustics.
Jan 11, 2016
206 posts
85 upvotes
Peterborough
orditeck wrote: Let's say I'm starting to record myself singing from time to time, very amateur stuff, would a beginner benefits from using this?

Nope. Grab an Shure sm58 to start and a half decent preamp, like a Focusrite Scarlett. Bare minimum.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
2081 posts
1105 upvotes
SW ON
calvados.boualrd wrote: Did you not read the OP?

Linear Microphone for analyzing room acoustics.
I guess I should have phrased the question "why would anyone need to analyze room acoustics?" And buy a special microphone for it.
[OP]
Sep 22, 2010
528 posts
573 upvotes
Victoria
alpovs wrote: I guess I should have phrased the question "why would anyone need to analyze room acoustics?" And buy a special microphone for it.
Sweet mercy, you really need your hand held eh?

From the amazon link in the OP: To get the best sound in any room, you must first understand the room's acoustics. The ECM8000 is a specialized condenser microphone designed for use with real-time analyzers, such as our ULTRACURVE DEQ2496, to provide an accurate acoustic picture of the room. You can then use your graphic EQ to fine-tune your system's performance to perfectly match the characteristics of any acoustic environment.

A small jazz club sounds much different from a large theater, which in turn sounds completely different from a rock arena. To get the best sound in any room, you must first understand the room’s acoustics – and since every room is acoustically unique, you need the right gear to dial-in consistently perfect sound.

The ECM8000 is a specialized condenser microphone designed for use with real time analyzers, such as our Ultracurve DEQ2496, and provides an instantaneous acoustic picture of the room. You can then use your graphic EQ to fine-tune your sound system’s performance to perfectly match the response characteristics of the room. The ECM8000 is a high-precision, ultra-affordable measurement mic that should be a part of every serious audio engineer’s toolkit.

Trust us, when you need it to dial-in a particularly challenging room – you’ll say it’s worth it weight in gold.

Great Sound From Every Angle
The ECM8000’s ruler-flat frequency response from 15 Hz to 20 kHz, and its omnidirectional pickup pattern give you a clear, accurate reading of any room’s unique sound characteristics. Like standard condenser mics used for recording or live performance, the ECM8000 requires phantom power (+15 to +48 V). We’ve included a microphone clip, stand adapter and a rugged carrying case, for a long life of smooth operation.

Prime Performance, Amazing Affordability
The ECM8000 may very well become the single most-valuable tool in your bag of tricks, and it is ultra-affordable. Take the guesswork out of EQing, with the incredibly-accurate ECM8000 – both at the gig and in the studio.
Jul 8, 2009
110 posts
36 upvotes
Montreal
orditeck wrote: Except I'm not talking about podcast but amateur singing
oh sorry. Someone suggestion a sm 58 and an interface. Go with that.
--
Nov 23, 2004
786 posts
1392 upvotes
Ontario
alpovs wrote: I guess I should have phrased the question "why would anyone need to analyze room acoustics?" And buy a special microphone for it.
Live audio mixing is the main use for these. To summarize in an overly simple explanation without boring you with the details and all the possible use cases.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
2521 posts
907 upvotes
Mississauga
I am looking for one.. but this does not have USB input so cant use it in REW...
Dec 10, 2007
346 posts
97 upvotes
ChrisS489 wrote: Nope. Grab an Shure sm58 to start and a half decent preamp, like a Focusrite Scarlett. Bare minimum.
Not to get too off topic, but where do you go from there? What are the worthwhile upgrades?
Jan 4, 2010
276 posts
184 upvotes
Mississauga
BoxsterS wrote: For their OnlyFans recordings.
Not to get too off topic, but where do you go from there? What are the worthwhile upgrades?
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
2081 posts
1105 upvotes
SW ON
mindabsence wrote: Live audio mixing is the main use for these. To summarize in an overly simple explanation without boring you with the details and all the possible use cases.
Thank you. The OP can't explain what he posted.
Jan 11, 2016
206 posts
85 upvotes
Peterborough
I can really only comment on what I have and what works for me. I have the behringer x32 for recording multiple instruments. It's both a pre amp and audio interface. So it uses low latency asio drivers. But if you're only recording one instrument then I would suggest a one or two input preamp audio interface with low latency. FOCUSRITE, PRESONUS, RME. When I was looking for a recording interface before I bought the x32 those are some of the names I researched. Then look up and research the pros and cons for each.
You might want something with a MIDI input so you can add a midi intrument after.

32gigs of RAM min if you're planning on writing songs and using a lot of fx/vst plugins. I don't use Reaper so I can't comment. I use cakewalk by band labs because it's free and has plenty of features and I'm used to it.

If you don't mind torrenting things to try out plugins it's the cheap way to go but then if you use the plug-in buy it. Vsttorrents is a good Google search term.
I haven't upgraded hardware so I can't comment. I just have my audio interface mics, guitars and drums and a pretty fast pc. M.2 drive or a fast sata drive. Youtube is my favorite resource.
When you're recording vocals you might have 10-60 tracks of just vocals that's one reason youll need a lot of RAM and a fast pc.
Iggynatz wrote: Not to get too off topic, but where do you go from there? What are the worthwhile upgrades?
Sep 22, 2005
145 posts
57 upvotes
Thanks OP. Just what I needed to do my DIRAC setup on my amplifier.