• Sep 10th, 2021 10:31 am
[OP]
Mar 17, 2006
422 posts
30 upvotes
Montreal

[Amazon.ca] Benq projector HT3550i $1800

More offers from Amazon.ca
Benq ht3500i has plenty of very good reviews. Bestbuy increased price from 1900$ to 2100. But amazon.ca sale at 1800.
Price martch at bestbuy local store verified.

https://www.amazon.ca/BenQ-HT3550i-Proj ... 50i&sr=8-2
21 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2010
1196 posts
822 upvotes
The Great North
Sepharite wrote: Is it truly 4K?
"The HT3550i is a 4K projector, and every bit of that resolution is visible on screen. It's also HDR-compatible, but like all projectors, you shouldn't expect great things.
That lumen rating is really the HT3550i's biggest liability. 2,000 lumens is certainly not dim, and even just a few years ago would have been plenty. But in this era of ultrabright projectors, it's well behind. If it had a better contrast ratio this brightness wouldn't be an issue"

Pros:
Excellent detail
Vibrant, accurate colors
Clean image with little video noise
Built-in Android TV streaming

Cons
Not particularly bright
Mediocre contrast ratio
Sep 1, 2017
99 posts
140 upvotes
I don't understand why you are posting this? I'm here for hot deals not regular prices!!!!
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2009
1184 posts
714 upvotes
This PJ is on my wishlist but this is regular price, not sale price ... ???
[OP]
Mar 17, 2006
422 posts
30 upvotes
Montreal
I track this projector for almost a year. BB sale price increased from 1900 to 2100. But amazon decrease price to 1800.
Due to shortage of stock and 6 to 10 times overseas shipping cost higher than 2019, $1800 is good price for coming half year I think.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
2099 posts
1645 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
This is a great projector. You need a dedicated dark room. This is not for your living room. I’d also recommend the silver ticket wvs at line of screens. Having the speakers behind the screen really creates that theatre experience and allows you to go as big as possible.

Stock shortage has been going on with this for a year now. I’m glad I didn’t wait for a deal because there wasn’t one.
[OP]
Mar 17, 2006
422 posts
30 upvotes
Montreal
I watched some movies using this projector. It is not bright enough. It seems 2000lum is key issue for this projector.
Dec 24, 2010
284 posts
282 upvotes
timothy_montreal wrote: I watched some movies using this projector. It is not bright enough. It seems 2000lum is key issue for this projector.
If you are in a bright room or want really bright projector you need to get the TK850i
This is why BenQ has 2 models. Both 4K one is designed for true home theatre room of dark environment. The other is designed for the living room where the user cannot control the lighting or for users who need very bright for sports or gaming. Here is the BestBuy link

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/be ... i/14966008
Jan 15, 2017
342 posts
390 upvotes
people are really picky I guess, I have been using an Optoma HD20 for years which is 1700 lumens and it works just fine. You just need a reasonably dark room, which I thought was standard for most projectors.
[OP]
Mar 17, 2006
422 posts
30 upvotes
Montreal
My room is very dark. And I watched some 4k movies last night. In some night scenes, it is hard to see details. I had Optoma uhd30 before. It is 3000 lum and totally different. Just because when it started each time, I must calibrate. Otherwise , it iwas half dark half normal. I had to return it.
For hdr movie, maybe need much brighter pj. I guess.
[OP]
Mar 17, 2006
422 posts
30 upvotes
Montreal
I returned pj to BB today. It is painful.
What I learned is that:
1 Be careful to watch reviews on youtube. Maybe They are paid by some brand.
2 wait and see if you can not afford 6k and more real 4k pj.
3 Amazon and youtube reviews or recommandation can not be trusted. Maybe avsforum is better.
4 TV maybe an option.

Good luck everyboday.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4696 posts
2245 upvotes
Parry Sound
This is a fantastic projector with incredible picture quality as long as you keep the ambient light to a minimum. If you want something brighter, they have the TK850i but you do lose some colour accuracy.

Anyway, this price is regular price. Why is this even posted?
This message has not been approved by The Office of The Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2014
1660 posts
1011 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
timothy_montreal wrote: wait and see if you can not afford 6k and more real 4k pj.
What do you mean by "real 4k"?
Apr 23, 2020
173 posts
1675 upvotes
Sievert wrote: What do you mean by "real 4k"?
It refers to pixel-shifting, which allows a 4K image to be displayed using a chip with a physical resolution less than 4096 x 2160.

I seriously doubt many people could tell the difference. Most people can't distinguish UHD and FHD on a 80" screen from more than 10 feet away.
http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

"In our new reality of 4K resolution and pixel shifting technologies, there is ZERO correlation between native resolution (the number of physical pixels on the chip) and the actual resolution of the picture you see on the screen. The chip's physical resolution, at least in the home theater world, has become irrelevant."

https://www.projectorcentral.com/4k-pro ... efined.htm

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)