• Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2020 6:39 pm
[OP]
Dec 10, 2003
472 posts
394 upvotes
Vancouver #1

[Amazon.ca] Best Budget Audiophile Speakers - Pioneer SP-BS22-LR $129.90

These are usually $150 so warm deal at $130. Not sure why camel is not showing the correct price.

"Speaker champ for 5 years now." Steve Guttenberg (CNET reviewer) Many other speaker reviewers have declared these to be the best speakers for the money. If you look at any budget audiophile list, these will be at or near the top.

Here's his comparison to Micca RB42 which is $180.
Last edited by TomRFD on Apr 20th, 2020 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
61 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
5957 posts
2071 upvotes
For those curious, these have gone down to $110 in the past (I bought them in August 2018 for this price). Seems like Cx3 is incorrect. Yes yes 'time machine' and all that but I like to know the actual previous lows of items so I know what kind of deal I'm getting
Last edited by game_fanatic on Apr 20th, 2020 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
4434 posts
4693 upvotes
Alberta
I'm pretty sure budget audiophile is an oxymoron.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21099 posts
3997 upvotes
YUL
Lush78 wrote: I'm pretty sure budget audiophile is an oxymoron.
Yep. Most entry level audiophile speaker cables cost more than these speakers
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16013 posts
2630 upvotes
najibs wrote: Yep. Most entry level audiophile speaker cables cost more than these speakers
Don't be pedantic. Let's just say excellent value for the money and move on.
Automatic down-votes: D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
7616 posts
12846 upvotes
Montreal
JAC wrote: Don't be pedantic. Let's just say excellent value for the money and move on.
I read a few times don't be pandemic. Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4862 posts
2982 upvotes
molie2403 wrote: Edifier R1850DB are a better option and now they are on sale at 150 - https://www.edifier.com/ca/en/speakers/r1850db .
Better cost effective option if you want self-powered, with remote. I'm skeptical of these as if the amp dies, the whole thing is useless. Speakers live long, and amps can be swapped and upgraded over time.

These speakers would need a receiver, but those Class D CHI-Fi amps do very fine.

My only gripe about these are....they're not that great looking.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1826 posts
750 upvotes
Calgary
bhrm wrote: Better cost effective option if you want self-powered, with remote. I'm skeptical of these as if the amp dies, the whole thing is useless. Speakers live long, and amps can be swapped and upgraded over time.

These speakers would need a receiver, but those Class D CHI-Fi amps do very fine.

I have them as rear satellites and they work great for that purpose. Agreed that they don't look that great, but with the speaker grilles on they're much nicer. Also should note to prospective buyers that these don't accomodate banana plugs, and have a tapered rear end.
Jul 31, 2012
435 posts
536 upvotes
Toronto
Ships from and sold by ELECTRONIQUE HI-FI INC.

Direct from Amazon is $142.13
Nov 18, 2014
379 posts
448 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Are you confusing audiophile with audiofool?
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
16213 posts
7896 upvotes
Ottawa
I take it as a good thing that this product actually is designed by somebody who also knows how to make so called "audiophile" products. So in this case, the label budget audiophile does make some sense.

reference: https://www.cnet.com/news/can-the-desig ... t-129-one/
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.
Jun 15, 2015
143 posts
98 upvotes
Victoria, BC
They've gone as low as 99 before(that's what I paid). They are great though. I basically got the whole setup, the center channel, the two towers and the rears(these) for a killer price last Black Friday.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
4434 posts
4693 upvotes
Alberta
I was only having fun with that comment. Poor humor in bad times. Upvoted for peace.
[OP]
Dec 10, 2003
472 posts
394 upvotes
Vancouver #1
molie2403 wrote: Edifier R1850DB are a better option and now they are on sale at 150 - https://www.edifier.com/ca/en/speakers/r1850db .
I have been looking at Edifier options thoroughly. Missed out on crazy deals from Grand and Toy, still kicking myself over it. S2000 would sound amazing. They are great value considering the amp is included in the price and have great sound.

I'm not sure how well the sound is on the 1850 compared to the pioneers tho. Based on reviews, the pioneers would have a huge advantage in sound quality but we are talking about double the price once you add in an amplifier. And that would put you in the S2000 price range. It would be hard to imagine the pioneers beating the S2000.

You can also use the pioneers in a home theater setup with your audio video receiver. It all depends on what you need and want.
Dec 9, 2011
177 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
blind56 wrote: I have them as rear satellites and they work great for that purpose. Agreed that they don't look that great, but with the speaker grilles on they're much nicer. Also should note to prospective buyers that these don't accomodate banana plugs, and have a tapered rear end.
I have these and can confirm they DO accommodate banana plugs
Jul 15, 2018
881 posts
1315 upvotes
Rob fords basement
Those pioneers will fill the room much better and have a much more impactful and enjoyable experience than little bookshelf speakers if youre not listening to near field only

Edit: thought these were the floorstanders, my bad
Last edited by Nubby666 on Apr 20th, 2020 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Dec 10, 2003
472 posts
394 upvotes
Vancouver #1
sm7800 wrote: I have these and can confirm they DO accommodate banana plugs
Tell us how they sound kind sir.
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
13352 posts
24863 upvotes
bhrm wrote: Better cost effective option if you want self-powered, with remote. I'm skeptical of these as if the amp dies, the whole thing is useless. Speakers live long, and amps can be swapped and upgraded over time.

70’s is the new 2020 . Am ordering an avocado green fridge and stove soon .
Apr 8, 2020
704 posts
952 upvotes
I bought these as main LR speakers until I saw the center was bad and the q150s went on sale. I returned the center and now use these as surrounds, and they're great. Highly recommend for that purpose.

Confirming banana plugs as well, no idea why someone would say they don't, that's literally my connection.