Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro - 636$ lowest price ever

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2020 6:39 pm
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
9729 posts
5625 upvotes
DealCanuck wrote: Don’t you need flac encoded songs for this to notice any difference?
No. You can use WAV, AAC, MP3 or even CDs. (i.e. it's not about the encoding format)
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
2372 posts
1501 upvotes
Montreal
PerformingAzura wrote: I have the dt990 600ohm how does this compare?

I don't use an amp.
600ohm and no amp?! You are clearly missing on something. It's impossible that your device can drive those headphones by themselves.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2007
1344 posts
400 upvotes
zobblplatz wrote: Not at all true. Any decent to high end motherboard will handle these just fine.

I had a pair for a while, worked great with my Z390 Aorus Master.

Personally I wouldn’t buy these again though. I’ll only buy planar headphones in this price bracket.
Why Planar, is that tech better than regular tech at this price range ~$600?
:arrowl: Thanks if Helped! :D
Deal Addict
May 18, 2007
1344 posts
400 upvotes
Will these be any better than High-End bluetooth headphones like the Sony WH-1000XM3 on high quality Spotify?
Dec 24, 2014
80 posts
8 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
coffeebean wrote: Will these be any better than High-End bluetooth headphones like the Sony WH-1000XM3 on high quality Spotify?
Can't say since I don't own both (only DT1990s) but these two headphones are for completely different purposes. While Sony's is wireless and focuses on portability and sound isolation, Beyerdynamics are for home use. You'd get the Beyerdynamic sound signature (clear, high trebles) and Sony usually leans more towards the punchy powerful bass sounds. If you want something for home use and have the supporting equipment (DAC/AMP), the DT1990s are fantastic. I've had them for about two years and I always grab them whenever a piece of music catches my attention and I feel like I need the whole experience.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2007
1344 posts
400 upvotes
clazaa wrote: Can't say since I don't own both (only DT1990s) but these two headphones are for completely different purposes. While Sony's is wireless and focuses on portability and sound isolation, Beyerdynamics are for home use. You'd get the Beyerdynamic sound signature (clear, high trebles) and Sony usually leans more towards the punchy powerful bass sounds. If you want something for home use and have the supporting equipment (DAC/AMP), the DT1990s are fantastic. I've had them for about two years and I always grab them whenever a piece of music catches my attention and I feel like I need the whole experience.
Personally, any over / around ear headphone is for home use. It's a bit clownish to be wearing that stuff on the streets like some hoodrat. It's also unsafe to isolate from your surroundings outside. For Portability I only go for bluetooth earbuds or earhook headphones.

So Sony's WH-1000XM3 headphones would only be for home use. But the wireless capability allows you to pace around while thinking of a solution for work, for example.
Mar 18, 2008
507 posts
154 upvotes
coffeebean wrote: Will these be any better than High-End bluetooth headphones like the Sony WH-1000XM3 on high quality Spotify?
Well, you always sacrifice sound quality for advantages as far as portable use goes with headphones like the Sonys, so it's not difficult to get better sound quality from cheaper or same priced, fulled sized, open headphones.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
5732 posts
2268 upvotes
Canuckland
chatbox wrote: No. You can use WAV, AAC, MP3 or even CDs. (i.e. it's not about the encoding format)
I mean to notice any difference
Nov 1, 2017
788 posts
306 upvotes
chatbox wrote:
Technically, all headphones, earphones, earbuds require an amp to function.

How are you even able to (satisfactorily) use a 600ohms headphones without an amp?
xblackdemonx wrote: 600ohm and no amp?! You are clearly missing on something. It's impossible that your device can drive those headphones by themselves.
Well I am using a desktop PC, and my onboard audio has a mode for an audio device over 110ohms.... (so I guess I do have an amp?) The headphones work fine on my phone though; it's quieter, but the max volume is perfect for me. On my desktop the max volume starts to hurt.

I used to have an ASUS XONAR STX sound card which had support for 600ohms, but I didn't notice a difference switching between onboard and sound card, so I permanently switched to onboard and sold the sound card.
Last edited by PerformingAzura on Jun 30th, 2020 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
9729 posts
5625 upvotes
DealCanuck wrote: I mean to notice any difference
I understood your question. That's still my answer.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
7602 posts
1684 upvotes
Mont-Royal
mopex wrote: Well, you always sacrifice sound quality for advantages as far as portable use goes with headphones like the Sonys, so it's not difficult to get better sound quality from cheaper or same priced, fulled sized, open headphones.
that makes more sense, cheaper.
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
9729 posts
5625 upvotes
PerformingAzura wrote: Well I am using a desktop PC, and my onboard audio has a mode for an audio device over 110ohms.... (so I guess I do have an amp?) The headphones work fine on my phone though; it's quieter, but the max volume is perfect for me. On my desktop the max volume starts to hurt.

I used to have an ASUS XONAR STX sound card which had support for 600ohms, but I didn't notice a difference switching between onboard and sound card, so I permanently switched to onboard and sold the sound card.
...still has an amp.

Just because there's sound coming out from the headphones, that doesn't mean it's 'right'. (Just because a pancake is flat, doesn't mean it'll taste good.)
Last edited by chatbox on Jun 30th, 2020 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
3022 posts
734 upvotes
BC
PerformingAzura wrote: Well I am using a desktop PC, and my onboard audio has a mode for an audio device over 110ohms.... (so I guess I do have an amp?) The headphones work fine on my phone though; it's quieter, but the max volume is perfect for me. On my desktop the max volume starts to hurt.

Just remember that amps provide different levels of power at different frequencies. So while you might get sufficient volume you might be lacking high end, low end and dynamics. This is especially true for planars.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2007
1344 posts
400 upvotes
Ren wrote: Just remember that amps provide different levels of power at different frequencies. So while you might get sufficient volume you might be lacking high end, low end and dynamics. This is especially true for planars.
Serious question, not trying to criticize, If a person can't tell the difference between their on-board PC Motherboard DAC and a dedicated soundcard DAC, then are they likely able to distinguish the benefits of a $600 headphone compared to a $200 headphone?

Other than the psychological placebo effect....
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
3022 posts
734 upvotes
BC
coffeebean wrote: Serious question, not trying to criticize, If a person can't tell the difference between their on-board PC Motherboard DAC and a dedicated soundcard DAC, then are they likely able to distinguish the benefits of a $600 headphone compared to a $200 headphone?

Other than the psychological placebo effect....
Well to be honest, both are very entry level audio solutions, so even though I haven't heard either of them I would lean towards yes. The simplest solution would be to audition a different dac/amp solution with a good pair of headphones. Just remember that just because some people like these headphones doesn't mean you will. The more expensive they get, the more they have to lean towards your taste in music.