Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro - 636$ lowest price ever

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2020 6:39 pm
May 12, 2012
66 posts
45 upvotes
CALGARY
That all depends on why one cannot perceive the difference. Let's say the source material does not require a better piece of equipment to decode, then it will not make much difference. If one plays a good recording with sufficient resolution, it's likely different components will provide a different sound signature. Not to say one is better than the other. To rate an equipment, the appreciation of the sound/music, and the hearing sensitivity are both key items.

In my mind, until you try it out yourself, one cannot tell which is better.
Mar 18, 2008
507 posts
154 upvotes
coffeebean wrote: Serious question, not trying to criticize, If a person can't tell the difference between their on-board PC Motherboard DAC and a dedicated soundcard DAC, then are they likely able to distinguish the benefits of a $600 headphone compared to a $200 headphone?

Other than the psychological placebo effect....
It's easier to tell the difference between headphone than it is with amps or dacs, with dacs being the most difficult.
Mar 18, 2008
507 posts
154 upvotes
People keep asking if these are better than this or that, but you need to know what kind of sound signature you are looking for. The 1990 pro will not be a pleasant experience for someone who is sensitive to treble spikes. I personally think the HD6XX are better headphones, so in this case, higher price does not mean better. I would also choose the Sundaras over these.
Dec 24, 2014
80 posts
8 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
coffeebean wrote: Personally, any over / around ear headphone is for home use. It's a bit clownish to be wearing that stuff on the streets like some hoodrat. It's also unsafe to isolate from your surroundings outside. For Portability I only go for bluetooth earbuds or earhook headphones.

So Sony's WH-1000XM3 headphones would only be for home use. But the wireless capability allows you to pace around while thinking of a solution for work, for example.
Fair enough! Then ultimately it comes down to your personal preference for if you need the Active Noise Cancellation feature while at home, and your preference for sound signatures from Beyerdynamic or Sony. Like I said, Sony is bass oriented, while Beyerdynamic goes hard on the trebles. Only your ears and brain can tell the difference so you'd have to give either or a try :)
Feb 22, 2013
825 posts
667 upvotes
mopex wrote: People keep asking if these are better than this or that, but you need to know what kind of sound signature you are looking for. The 1990 pro will not be a pleasant experience for someone who is sensitive to treble spikes. I personally think the HD6XX are better headphones, so in this case, higher price does not mean better. I would also choose the Sundaras over these.
Somewhat similar to asking yourself if you’re a Lexus, BMW or Mercedes owner/buyer.
May 18, 2012
966 posts
769 upvotes
MARKHAM
How do these compare to the beats headphones that i hear some medical doctor created? All the young folks are wearing them, should I buy one of those instead?
Deal Addict
May 18, 2007
1344 posts
400 upvotes
moufasa wrote: How do these compare to the beats headphones that i hear some medical doctor created? All the young folks are wearing them, should I buy one of those instead?
this one will go far in comedy
:arrowl: Thanks if Helped! :D
Mar 18, 2008
507 posts
154 upvotes
moufasa wrote: How do these compare to the beats headphones that i hear some medical doctor created? All the young folks are wearing them, should I buy one of those instead?
Yes, but don't stop at just one. Collect all the different colors and models. Display them on your walls. Looks really nice.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2044 posts
4121 upvotes
coffeebean wrote: Will these be any better than High-End bluetooth headphones like the Sony WH-1000XM3 on high quality Spotify?
XM3 sound good for Bluetooth headphones, but when you listen to even a good $200 pair of cans with a decent amp and dac and source there really isn't a competition.
Mar 18, 2008
507 posts
154 upvotes
coffeebean wrote: Face With Tears Of Joy
Did you set that up just for this thread? Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
That's next level reply skills if he did.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7094 posts
1861 upvotes
T dot 6
coffeebean wrote: Will these be any better than High-End bluetooth headphones like the Sony WH-1000XM3 on high quality Spotify?
Short answer: yes
Longer answer; they aren't really compatible as they are in different classes. the Sony WH-1000XM3 is very very good for what it is, portable, wireless, noise cancelling, closed headphones. Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro is non meant for portable use, its wired, no ANC and open headphones and with appropriate amplification will sound better then the WH-1000XM3. If you are happy with the WH-1000XM3, stop now, take the blue pill, get on with your day and your wallet will thank you. If want to take the red pill and go down the rabbit hole of high fidelity headphones, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Addict
May 18, 2007
1344 posts
400 upvotes
Jaytee wrote: Short answer: yes
Longer answer; they aren't really compatible as they are in different classes. the Sony WH-1000XM3 is very very good for what it is, portable, wireless, noise cancelling, closed headphones. Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro is non meant for portable use, its wired, no ANC and open headphones and with appropriate amplification will sound better then the WH-1000XM3. If you are happy with the WH-1000XM3, stop now, take the blue pill, get on with your day and your wallet will thank you. If want to take the red pill and go down the rabbit hole of high fidelity headphones, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/
Thanks for the explanation. TIL open back headphones have better sound quality than closed ones. Used to think isolation from outside improves sound quality....
:arrowl: Thanks if Helped! :D