Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] BlackBerry KEYone (Silver) Unlocked $339.99 w/ Amazon OR Black Edition $398.86 w/ Amazon Third-Party

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2019 4:56 pm
[OP]
Jul 3, 2015
258 posts
624 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON

[Amazon.ca] BlackBerry KEYone (Silver) Unlocked $339.99 w/ Amazon OR Black Edition $398.86 w/ Amazon Third-Party

EDIT/UPDATE:
- [Nov. 27 - Morning] Price keeps fluctuating... It jumped back up to the original $619.64 price for a bit earlier this morning.
- [Nov. 27 - Afternoon] It's at $419.72, but by a third-party seller that's fulfilled by Amazon [LINK DELETED]. That same seller is also selling the BlackBerry KEYone Black Edition for $409.72 [LINK DELETED].
- [Nov. 29 - Morning] That same third-party seller, Wireless Experts Inc., now has the original Silver listed at $307.72 [LINK DELETED].
- [Dec. 02 - Morning] The original Silver appears to be sold out from Wireless Experts, but the price of the Black Edition has dropped a bit to $398.86 [LINK DELETED].
- [Dec. 05 - Morning] Looks like the stock from Wireless Experts Inc. are sold out, and their listings are down; however, with reports of them possibly having some shady practices -- for the Black Edition stock, at least -- the links to their listing have been removed from the post.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Amazon.ca is selling the BlackBerry KEYone (original silver) for $339.99 outright.

Not sure if it's been lower at other retailers that sell it (or if people will even consider this price low enough to be "good"... lol), but this is the lowest I've seen it go on Amazon. And who knows, maybe someone here on RFD would want one.

Getting the easy jab out of the way first:
- Yes, it's a BlackBerry...

But it's a pretty good Android device, especially for those that still like to use a physical keyboard. Sure, it's not the new Key2 or even the "Black Edition" KEYone, but this original "silver" KEYone still gets the job done.

I got one not long after it first came out to use a "complimentary/work" device alongside a Galaxy Note because I still type faster on a physical BlackBerry keyboard than I do touchscreen, but I ended up using it as a primary device a lot more than I thought I would.

Product specs:
- Released: 2017
- SIM: Nano-SIM
- Screen size: 4.5"
- Resolution: 1080 x 1620 (434 ppi)
- Chipset: Qualcomm MSM8953 Snapdragon 625
- CPU: Octa-core 2.0 GHz Cortex-A53
- GPU: Adreno 506
- RAM: 3 GB
- Internal storage: 32 GB
- Expandable storage: Up to 256 GB
- Rear / front camera: 12 MP / 8 MP
- Battery: 3500 mAh

Amazon's product notes:
- Smart keyboard with touch navigation, flick typing for faster predictive text, customizable shortcuts and embedded fingerprint sensor. Nano Sim
- Anodized aluminum casing and textured soft touch grip with impact-resistant frame with stunning 4.5-inch touch screen display with Corning Gorilla glass 4 protection
- All day power with 3505Mah battery with quick charge 3.0, charging 50% in just 36 minutes; powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 processor with faster LTE for Super-fast file sharing
- 100% Android with latest Android nougat OS with access to over a million apps and services from Google play. Long-lasting battery life
- 12MP (1.55Μm large pixel) rear Camera with great low light photos and industry leading Sony IMX378 sensor

My random thoughts:
- Updated to Android 8.1 "Oreo" for me.
- Feels "snappier" than I thought it would be for something that's considered a "mid-range" smartphone.
- Solid battery life based on moderate usage.
- Fingerprint sensor is quick for unlocking the device.
- Programming quick launches on the physical keyboard is useful.
- The "Convenience" key on the side to quick launch whatever app you want is, well, convenient.
- I'm still a fan of the BlackBerry Hub (even though it was better on the old BB10 OS).
- The "Word Substitution" feature was great with the old BlackBerry OS, and it still works well here with Android.
Last edited by Sojoph on Dec 5th, 2018 11:49 am, edited 10 times in total.
42 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
1565 posts
2909 upvotes
Toronto
I have a Motion. And it's fine. But I'm thinking of waiting for the Key2 to get a decent sale.
[OP]
Jul 3, 2015
258 posts
624 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
Skilas wrote: I have a Motion. And it's fine. But I'm thinking of waiting for the Key2 to get a decent sale.
Yeah, I really want a Key2 as well (and curious to see what BlackBerry/TCL may do with the Key3 or whatever it'll be called).

It's why I have the Key2 in my Amazon "saved cart". If that price drops to anything I'm comfortable with (around $400-500, depending on my mood for impulse buying that day), I'm buying it lol I would prefer to have it in the black colour, but I think that's only sold by carriers at the moment...
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
11922 posts
3042 upvotes
why dont you guys just get the key 2 le for 360 on koodo ?
Skilas wrote: I have a Motion. And it's fine. But I'm thinking of waiting for the Key2 to get a decent sale.
Sojoph wrote: Yeah, I really want a Key2 as well (and curious to see what BlackBerry/TCL may do with the Key3 or whatever it'll be called).

It's why I have the Key2 in my Amazon "saved cart". If that price drops to anything I'm comfortable with (around $400-500, depending on my mood for impulse buying that day), I'm buying it lol I would prefer to have it in the black colour, but I think that's only sold by carriers at the moment...
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Dec 14, 2006
839 posts
348 upvotes
So limited what I can get for Freedom LTE. :-(
[OP]
Jul 3, 2015
258 posts
624 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
CrazyJo82 wrote: The black edition is now cheaper as the silver... at $409

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B075WY ... V7SY&psc=1
Yep, noticed that yesterday. But it's sold by a third-party and not Amazon (still fulfilled by Amazon, though, so it should be fine). Amazon stopped selling the Black Edition sometime last year, I believe. I was pretty bummed out 'cause I also had that in my Amazon saved cart hoping it'll hit a really good sale so that I can get it (since it has more RAM than the original silver).
GeneralAkbar wrote: Black Ed Keyone or Key2 LE?
Depends, I guess.

Since the Key2 LE is newer, it and its software will be more likely to be supported by BlackBerry a bit longer than the KEYone.

The keyboard for the Key2 is a matte finish (instead of the "clear surface" design TCL went with for the KEYone), which is nice for some people -- I know I prefer the matte finish. The Key2's keyboard feels a bit closer to what the BlackBerry devices of old were like when compared to the KEYone (I still type pretty well on the KEYone, but I'm quicker and more comfortable with the BlackBerry Classic).

If you care for the capacitive keyboard (I use the "swipe right" gesture to delete whole words a lot), the Key2 LE is missing that functionality.

I believe the battery size for the Key2 LE is a bit smaller than the KEYone? And as far as I know, it doesn't support Fast Charging (if that's something that you would use).

For the SoC chipset, the Key2 LE a bit of a step up over the KEYone. In real world performance, though, you probably wouldn't even notice the difference. Having the extra GB over the original silver KEYone is pretty important, in my mind, and fortunately both the KEYone Black Edition and Key2 LE come with 4GB RAM (after updating the KEYone to Oreo, it does feel like it bogs down a bit if I have too many apps open, so I have to close 'em all; I didn't really notice this before the Oreo update).
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
1565 posts
2909 upvotes
Toronto
sexyj wrote: why dont you guys just get the key 2 le for 360 on koodo ?
Mostly the layout, keyboard is smaller. Also the processor is smaller. Less ram. Smaller battery too. If they LE was something ridiculous like $200, I would pick it up on impulse. But for now, I'll wait.
Dec 22, 2017
343 posts
569 upvotes
Skilas wrote: Mostly the layout, keyboard is smaller. Also the processor is smaller. Less ram. Smaller battery too. If they LE was something ridiculous like $200, I would pick it up on impulse. But for now, I'll wait.
The keyboard on the LE is smaller than Key2's but still bigger than Keyone though.

Key2 is currently at $800cad on Amazon. It is hard for me to justify whether Key2 is worth more than double the cost of an LE.

I too am waiting for a promotion from Koodo for the LE.
Aug 17, 2003
988 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
I had both a keyone and a key2. Keyone black edition should be great - keyone's downflaw was it's limited ram. Black edition has more ram.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
11922 posts
3042 upvotes
huh?

the only thing key1 got over le is the trackpad on the keyboard

le got more ram and more energy efficient processor, so the battery should neglect that

the 3gb on the original key1 is really limiting
Skilas wrote: Mostly the layout, keyboard is smaller. Also the processor is smaller. Less ram. Smaller battery too. If they LE was something ridiculous like $200, I would pick it up on impulse. But for now, I'll wait.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
1565 posts
2909 upvotes
Toronto
sexyj wrote: huh?

the only thing key1 got over le is the trackpad on the keyboard

le got more ram and more energy efficient processor, so the battery should neglect that

the 3gb on the original key1 is really limiting
Both the other user and I were saying that we were waiting for the Key2, instead of getting the Key1. Neither of us brought up the Key2 LE.

Since you asked why I don't just get a Key2 LE, I assumed you meant in reference to my post about the Key2. That's what all my comparisons were about.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9449 posts
488 upvotes
It's down to $307.72. I'm tempted. I like my physical keyboard
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3147 posts
682 upvotes
I so want to pull the trigger but I have no budget for this... Angry Face
RFD is bad for your wallet's health 😂