Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] BlackWidow Lite Mechanical Tenkeyless Keyboard: Orange Key Switches - Tactile & Silent | 25% Off | $89.99 -

[OP]
Jun 10, 2004
588 posts
1190 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.ca] BlackWidow Lite Mechanical Tenkeyless Keyboard: Orange Key Switches - Tactile & Silent | 25% Off | $89.99 -

613PMAeCkwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Zero-Compromise Mechanical Switch for Speed & Accuracy: Razer Orange switch technology provides tactile feedback with a quieter click, requiring 45 G of actuation force; ideal for most gaming and typing experiences
  • Included O-Ring Sound Dampeners: Further reduces key noise, travel distance, and typing fatigue
  • Individually Backlit Keys: White LED lighting with full brightness control beyond the customizability of zone-lit keyboards
  • Fully Programmable Macro Support: Razer Hypershift allows for all keys and keypress combinations to be remapped to execute complex commands
  • Tournament-Ready Design: A tenkeyless design with a detachable USB cable provides a portable form-factor for on-the-go gamers. 1000 Hz Ultrapolling

-Callahan-

Lowest Price on CCC EVER!
21 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1691 posts
939 upvotes
Vancouver
This is hard. ABS plastic means this won't look great after a while. You can't swap the keys (Edit: okay apparently you can, but at that point just get a better board if you're going to spend extra), and I know nothing about these orange switches but one reviewer didn't like them. On the other hand, it's on sale

When I was getting a tenkeyless, i went with a this leopold 750r (note, USD), I paid a bit extra but all the extra was worth it to me. I did not want to build a board. I did not want o-rings or dampeners (i had those in my filco, i didn't like the feel of them). So I wanted a board which was well built and didn't have the metallic echo a lot of the cheaperboards have. The (doubleshot) PBT basically means it won't wear down nearly as quickly as the ABS plastic.
I'm not saying my linked keyboard is a deal (infact you need to wait for it to go back in stock). I'm just comparing it to this razer one which is still not low enough to be a "buy it as an entry mech keyboard so you can know what you want for later"

To me, if you're going to spend money on a keyboard, you'd want to make sure it lasts 10 years, so paying a bit extra is worth it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyb ... ying_guide
Last edited by Sypsy on Jul 28th, 2020 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 8, 2013
51 posts
18 upvotes
Sypsy wrote: This is hard. ABS plastic means this won't look great after a while. You can't swap the keys, and I know nothing about these orange switches but one reviewer didn't like them. On the other hand, it's on sale

When I was getting a tenkeyless, i went with a this leopold 750r (note, USD), I paid a bit extra but all the extra was worth it to me. I did not want to build a board. I did not want o-rings or dampeners (i had those in my filco, i didn't like the feel of them). So I wanted a board which was well built and didn't have the metallic echo a lot of the cheaperboards have. The (doubleshot) PBT basically means it won't wear down nearly as quickly as the ABS plastic.
I'm not saying my linked keyboard is a deal (infact you need to wait for it to go back in stock). I'm just comparing it to this razer one which is still not low enough to be a "buy it as an entry mech keyboard so you can know what you want for later"

To me, if you're going to spend money on a keyboard, you'd want to make sure it lasts 10 years, so paying a bit extra is worth it.

The keycaps can be switched out as the switches are Cherry Mx type.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1691 posts
939 upvotes
Vancouver
nickch wrote: The keycaps can be switched out as the switches are Cherry Mx type.
Oops, misread some review. Thanks. I don't really follow the scene after i bought my boards last year.
Sep 30, 2006
341 posts
110 upvotes
Scarborough
This LITE version doesn't have Chroma... not that it's THAT important... but the Chroma v2 was on sale recently (same time as this one, but sold out) at $119..
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1846 posts
1520 upvotes
Toronto
nickch wrote: The keycaps can be switched out as the switches are Cherry Mx type.
It's the same stem, but most (if not all?) razer, corsair and logitech have a non-standard bottom row. so you need a "special" set of keycaps
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
May 8, 2013
51 posts
18 upvotes
neonic wrote: It's the same stem, but most (if not all?) razer, corsair and logitech have a non-standard bottom row. so you need a "special" set of keycaps
Most group buy Base set (GMK abs or PBT) should be able to cover keyboards ranging from 60% and upward.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1572 posts
656 upvotes
Toronto
Is this "silent" just as loud as a Cherry Brown Keys with O Ring?
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2008
2494 posts
978 upvotes
North York
I am using a K-Type, RGB Cherry MX Brows and just got GMK 9009 R3
Jan 5, 2018
55 posts
79 upvotes
jasonchewy wrote: Is this "silent" just as loud as a Cherry Brown Keys with O Ring?
I have the 2014 black widow tournament edition with orange switches. When they say they are silent, they mean that there is no audible sound to the key switch actuating but there is still quite a bit of sound when the keys are bottomed out (ie when the key reaches the bottom). So they aren't necessarily silent but they are alot quieter then the razer green switches. Hope that helps.
Oct 13, 2016
6 posts
2 upvotes
I have this, don't buy it if you think it will be quiet. it's loud (the rings don't seem to do anything and affect the backlight on a few keys). also it's scratchy feeling. pretty cheap price though
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1846 posts
1520 upvotes
Toronto
nickch wrote: Most group buy Base set (GMK abs or PBT) should be able to cover keyboards ranging from 60% and upward.
it's not about the board size, it's the bottom row from those keyboards that have keycap width.
Razer:
Corsair/Logitech:
Standard:
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2007
1014 posts
57 upvotes
Sypsy wrote: This is hard. ABS plastic means this won't look great after a while. You can't swap the keys (Edit: okay apparently you can, but at that point just get a better board if you're going to spend extra), and I know nothing about these orange switches but one reviewer didn't like them. On the other hand, it's on sale

FYI I don't believe in this train of thought that a mechanical keyboard must last 10+ years because most people get tired of their old keyboards within that time. I will say this though:
1) My old Corsair Keyboard was on MX Browns and it was sturdy. However, LEDs started dying one by one.
2) My old Razer Blackwidow was the *worst* mechanical I ever had (purchased in 2010 or so), due to a weak spacebar holder that eventually unseated and broke. This was due to some abuse due to playing GunZ which required a ton of space acutaitons.
3) I'm using a Coolermaster Quickfire Rapid TKL on red switches right now, and it's been good for about 6 years of use and counting. The keycaps are wearing off and I'm swapping them for something else.

Keycaps are easily swappable. Shitty LEDs can be worked on, but many people won't bother. Just get something relatively modern, from a reputable company (Razer is IMO one of the least reliable equiment companies. Nobody I know has had a mouse that lasted over 2.5 years without some significant cosmetic or functional issue).
May 8, 2013
51 posts
18 upvotes
neonic wrote: it's not about the board size, it's the bottom row from those keyboards that have keycap width.
Razer:
Corsair/Logitech:
Standard:
Fair enough but u can always purchase the PBT keycap set from razor to swap out the abs keycaps