Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Blink Mini – indoor plug-in smart security camera, 1080p , night vision, motion detection, two-way audio - 2 cameras $39

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 5th, 2022 8:00 am
Apr 24, 2020
154 posts
190 upvotes
Ottawa
TigerKingDeals wrote: I have the outdoor solar panel it is a great addition. To outdoor cameras. Extends the battery life of expensive lithium batteries if placed good. Amazon has a nice promo on solar panel mount, outdoor camera and sync module for 108 which is normally $180... add this to the 2 minis and thats a pretty good low cost kit. I have the largest USB that is supported by module and thats how I get around the subscription.
There are videos on youtube explaining how to use the sync module and 256GB USB to avoid subscription plan if you want more details.

I personally added a SanDisk 256GB Ultra Fit USB 3.1 for around $30. The sync module is picky with USBS and this one sits flush in sync module which I mount with an outlet wall mount (a $10 to $15 item).
Dec 31, 2006
116 posts
83 upvotes
Westmount
TigerKingDeals wrote: You are correct that it will record live motion when triggered for a maximum clip length of 60 seconds followed by a minimum re trigger time of 10 sec. At least that is how it works on Outdoor / Indoor cameras. I don't have any minis yet. Planning on buying two though (one for each floor) and then ordering two pan tilt mounts when released on Oct 20 (Price will be 37.99 each). These will allow you to move cameras around and if located in central location will make an excellent option to monitor my dog lol.
Thank you.
TigerKingDeals wrote: There are videos on youtube explaining how to use the sync module and 256GB USB to avoid subscription plan if you want more details.

I personally added a SanDisk 256GB Ultra Fit USB 3.1 for around $30. The sync module is picky with USBS and this one sits flush in sync module which I mount with an outlet wall mount (a $10 to $15 item).
Can you link the Youtube videos if you can please? Just so I'm clear, if I get a sync module + compatible USB then I dont have to pay for a subscription? Will the sync module allow me to view live and record at the same time?
Last edited by shomeni on Oct 4th, 2022 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 17, 2013
134 posts
143 upvotes
Toronto
TigerKingDeals wrote: There are videos on youtube explaining how to use the sync module and 256GB USB to avoid subscription plan if you want more details.

Does the sync module allow you to see the recordings on your phone?
Jul 9, 2014
699 posts
237 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I found the blink camera not working properly as a security camera.
  1. It does not capture the whole event, sometime, the video record gets cut-off sequencely
  2. The camera also trigger without any movement, I am not sure why, but they mentions because the sensitive in the temperature
Apr 24, 2020
154 posts
190 upvotes
Ottawa
shomeni wrote: Thank you.

Can you link the Youtube videos if you can please? Just so I'm clear, if I get a sync module + compatible USB then I dont have to pay for a subscription? Will the sync module allow me to view live and record at the same time?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7523 posts
8088 upvotes
Vancouver
WalletNotSafe wrote: With wyze, the continuous via microSD means I can playback that entire period where motion was detected (prior to motion and after motion) to see the whole thing.
Actually if you set the Wyze recording mode to motion-triggered it starts the local microSD recording at the minute boundary before the motion is detected, and continues to the minute boundary after motion is no longer detected. It can do that because it has a rolling RAM buffer. This is independent of the 12-sec / once-per-5min free online motion recording.

Conveniently the online motion event clip view in the Wyze app has a Playback button that takes you straight to that time in the microSD recording to play it back remotely.
Apr 24, 2020
154 posts
190 upvotes
Ottawa
Long story short with Sync Module 2 and no subscription:
- Does not record while watching live video. You can set early notifications to off. This will make sure initial video is recorded. Then you can watch it or switch to live view but won't be recorded.
- You can view videos on your phone but they are slower to load and don't have thumbnails.
- Basically make it less useful and more inconvenient so you subscribe...
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1880 posts
1043 upvotes
London
Thanks OP. I hope this is just what I need.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2004
1023 posts
433 upvotes
WalletNotSafe wrote:
Update: I also thought I was grandfathered into the old nonsubscription plan, but just recently been seeing a popup in the app that my "trial" is ending. Which trsnslates to me as "your time with blink is ending".
I've had my Blink system for two years where I have been subscription free and the pop-up is now showing in the Blink app that my trial is ending. The honeymoon is now over.

One thing that I'm concerned about is when running in a standalone mode using a Sync 2 + USB key, the load times of the videos appear to be long (10+ second). When I have a bunch of videos of wasps, spiders, birds as videos, checking what I consider to be false positive videos will be a major time consuming task.
Jul 17, 2016
142 posts
28 upvotes
Calgary, AB
It blew my mind as to why people are still buying subscriptions to store the footage when there are many other high-quality cameras (same features) out in the market that can store the footage locally on the SDCard and you can retrieve it/playback it any time as long you have an internet connection to your phone.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2014
1262 posts
549 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
mgmjtech wrote: It blew my mind as to why people are still buying subscriptions to store the footage when there are many other high-quality cameras (same features) out in the market that can store the footage locally on the SDCard and you can retrieve it/playback it any time as long you have an internet connection to your phone.
What are these alternatives?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6684 posts
4249 upvotes
Toronto
growler wrote: I've had my Blink system for two years where I have been subscription free and the pop-up is now showing in the Blink app that my trial is ending. The honeymoon is now over.

One thing that I'm concerned about is when running in a standalone mode using a Sync 2 + USB key, the load times of the videos appear to be long (10+ second). When I have a bunch of videos of wasps, spiders, birds as videos, checking what I consider to be false positive videos will be a major time consuming task.
I stopped viewing clips from sync 2 because of that. All clips are from racoons, birds, wasps and fam members who refuses to say "disarm" which I programmed Alexa to disarm and rearm after 5 mins.

Other then that, I just leave the USB on and don't clean up. Will see what happens at 99% if it will delete old clips and write new. It's always been 2 months and still at 1%.
Mar 7, 2017
93 posts
34 upvotes
I just added the blink camera to my grandfathered plan. I got a notification saying it was a trial. I decided to see if I deleted the trial under my Blink account what would happen. So now on my grandfathered plan I have my old camera still on free cloud storage. My new camera is cannot save to the cloud anymore. Even if I have a grandfathered plan. Hope this helps.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
1589 posts
965 upvotes
Hamilton
1080P is almost outdated as 2K and 4K are the new std nowadays. I'd expect more sales are coming.
Looking for outdoor camera to add my indoor cams with blink sync module 2.
A pair of outdoor with similar price would be a deal. It was OOS at HD and the price was $59 for a pair yesterday.
Xing my fingers.