• Last Updated:
  • Nov 4th, 2021 12:00 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
1599 posts
1269 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Blue Yeti Microphone - $129

I havent seen this microphone on sale in a while. Combined with the TD points offer ($40 off for 3 points -> amazon-ca-get-30-off-min-purchase-80-wh ... s-2498206/), this mic worked out to 89.99. Otherwise 129 isnt a bad deal given regular is 180
44 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2016
1194 posts
2284 upvotes
dynamic mic all the way

FIGHT ME AND MY NERD GUNz
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
3371 posts
1110 upvotes
BC
Is this good for noisy kids in the background? Looking for something that will cancel background noise.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2016
1194 posts
2284 upvotes
Ren wrote: Is this good for noisy kids in the background? Looking for something that will cancel background noise.
Nvidia rtx voice software for nvidia rtx GPUs have noise suppression which already does wonders for any microphone that you use. The only issue is if you stay quiet for long enough it will start to treat your kids as the main sound and you as background noise and stop blocking them out.

Dynamic microphones if you want the best noise suppression, but majority will need an audio interface to plug into before plugging into computer to boost the input volume because their input is magnitudes lower than condenser mics
Dec 29, 2017
325 posts
275 upvotes
sushibucket wrote: dynamic mic all the way

Shure MV7 is an amazing Dynamic USB. Basically an SM7B but a USB version.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
10200 posts
7158 upvotes
Toronto

True then you also need an XLR / interface, can easily cost several times the Yeti. Different market

Edit: I stand corrected, low end dynamic setup can be had for comparable price.
Last edited by Angultra on Oct 28th, 2021 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
1900 posts
4105 upvotes
Vancouver
Ren wrote: Is this good for noisy kids in the background? Looking for something that will cancel background noise.
I find duct tape works pretty well
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
5043 posts
1781 upvotes
Kitchener

I'm planning on picking up the motu m2 audio interface and xm8500 mic this black Friday. I've been wanting an amp/DAC anyway so under $300 for amp/DAC/ADC/mic seems right.

Currently using a fifine USB condenser... I might miss being able to be a couple inches away from it. But I'm hoping noise isolation will be better with dynamic.
Last edited by Thundercloud on Oct 28th, 2021 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
This space is intentionally left blank.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
10200 posts
7158 upvotes
Toronto
Not really, software like zoom already has some built-in. OBS noise cancelling filter for something more advanced. Or if you have an RTX card can get extreme noise cancelling:

Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2016
1194 posts
2284 upvotes
Angultra wrote: True then you also need an XLR / interface, can easily cost several times the Yeti. Different market
Nope theres a $70 behringer

Behringer 302USB Premium 5-Input Mixer with XENYX Mic Preamp and USB/Audio Interface https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B005EHILV4/ref ... P6FYXCE16B

That plus the most basic $40 amazonbasic dynamic mic will outperform many condenser mics for noise suppression
Last edited by sushibucket on Oct 28th, 2021 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 26, 2019
142 posts
77 upvotes
sushibucket wrote: Nvidia rtx voice software for nvidia rtx GPUs have noise suppression which already does wonders for any microphone that you use. The only issue is if you stay quiet for long enough it will start to treat your kids as the main sound and you as background noise and stop blocking them out.

Dynamic microphones if you want the best noise suppression, but majority will need an audio interface to plug into before plugging into computer to boost the input volume because their input is magnitudes lower than condenser mics
This does not answer anything. Is 'this' mic good for eliminating background noise (please consider not everyone will have RTX hardware).
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
10200 posts
7158 upvotes
Toronto
aks005 wrote: This does not answer anything. Is 'this' mic good for eliminating background noise (please consider not everyone will have RTX hardware).
This mic is a condenser which is not good in and of itself for eliminating bg noise. But as posted there are software solutions to help since these USB condenser mics are plug & play and very popular. Dynamic will have more natural bg isolation.
Jan 8, 2007
568 posts
204 upvotes
Edmonton
I have the Blue Snowball Ice mic and it simply works.

https://www.amazon.ca/Blue-Microphones- ... B006DIA77E

Never have I had issues with background noise in my recordings and in my streaming. It's $69 and worth every penny. I would only assume the Yeti would work even better, but if it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Change my mind.
I got kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
Apr 26, 2019
142 posts
77 upvotes
Angultra wrote: This mic is a condenser which is not good in and of itself for eliminating bg noise. But as posted there are software solutions to help since these USB condenser mics are plug & play and very popular. Dynamic will have more natural bg isolation.
Thanks for the answer. In comparison, are mic like this a better option or is this worse (in not capturing background noise). I am looking for a low price decent option, not very high end solution -

https://www.amazon.ca/YOTTO-Microphone- ... 07WFW673W/
Jun 28, 2021
183 posts
244 upvotes
I have this mic and the upgraded Yeti X. This mic has a "direction" setting, so you can set it to focus on sound directly in front of the mic (where your head is). You can reduce the gain and still be heard, while noise coming from other directions will be lessened.

That said, it doesn't automatically suppress background noise or anything like that. It's a sensitive mic and the directional setting won't prevent noisy kids from being audible on your conference calls.

As other people have mentioned, looking at a dynamic mic or software options might be a better buy.
May 25, 2013
26 posts
17 upvotes
Chilliwack
I've worked many years in pro audio and I won't go with anything except a decent neodymium pickup on a super carotid mic.

The key to cutting out a lot of the background noise is turning down the gain as much as possible. Game is not to be used as a volume level it's more to be used as how much do I have to have this on in order to receive the bare minimum signal and then you use the volume to push it up even more so afterwards (not the gain).

And if you really want to get into it, a compressor and gate system using a dbx 166 or something is simple enough to use and fun once you know how to use it.

But start with trying to keep your gain down. Usually the gain is on the microphone and a lot of people use it like a volume control when you should be using your computer for volume control.

Or you use a dac line in to usb off a audio rig like me. I just happened to have all the stuff playing around because I do the occasional weddings and outdoor performance stuff.

My Preference would be a Beta 58a Shure XLR with a mixing board for the male voice, or a SM58 shure for a female.
Last edited by daroota on Oct 28th, 2021 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17756 posts
804 upvotes
What is the point of these? My kid wants one for when they games but I assumed a headset would be better?