Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Bowflex PR1000 $689 and back in stock!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2020 2:10 pm
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
672 posts
468 upvotes
ranjy wrote: PR1000 is not worth it - if you want to get a Bowflex nothing wrong with it, just don't get this. As mentioned already, the resistance rods aren't upgradeable, so if you go to the gym regularly you will max out in short order on some of the workouts.

Source - I researched myself in March/April...I ended up buying a Bowflex PR3000 + weight upgrade to 310 lbs + squat bar + lat bar + tricep rope
See there is hacked way to upgrade the weight on PR1000.
Aug 10, 2001
835 posts
157 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
McGarnagle wrote: I wish those 552 dumbbells or any type of powerblocks would come back in stock Disappointed But Relieved Face
I spoke with Customer Service at Powerblock. They said their manufacturing and delivery of product is unreliable right now. That was the gist of the message. That was about 5 weeks ago.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2003
5007 posts
3737 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
I had a PR3000 back in the day. Garbage. Garbage. Garbage. I had never done any sort of weight training at that point and I almost immediately maxed out the bench press.

Rack, bar, weights and dont look back.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
2441 posts
2597 upvotes
What is this monstrosity?

BTW, I bought one of the first models from Sears in the early 2000's. I can confirm, it's a very crappy workout, about as good as resistance bands, which cost a LOT less.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
672 posts
468 upvotes
Melkor wrote: I had a PR3000 back in the day. Garbage. Garbage. Garbage. I had never done any sort of weight training at that point and I almost immediately maxed out the bench press.

Rack, bar, weights and dont look back.
Well, everyone is different...
I just setup mine tonight, to be honest, I was pretty disappointed with it at the first try. Because the power rod is like sprint or resistant band, unlike the free weight system you feel the weight right the way, this thing makes you feel it's underweighted in the beginning of the pulling.
But I get used to it quickly, if you select the appropriate weight, it just works fine. I am impressed how many workouts can be done on one single machine. The spec says 210 pounds resistance, but the actual weight is probably 120-150lb. One guy on youtube said, you just forget the weight scale, choose what is good for your workout. I think this thing is good enough for most of people, unless you are a super man, that is different story. Also, try not to use your body weight to pull.
It looks like the manufacturer purposely add a bracket to cover the spare rod hole obstructs people from upgrading, but I think it can be removed by a grinder if I really need to upgrade it to higher weight in the future.
If I have a compliant now, it's Bowflex doesn't provide the workouts training app for this machine.
Last edited by hiker007 on Oct 5th, 2020 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2011
1559 posts
417 upvotes
Canada
hiker007 wrote: Well, everyone is different...
I just setup mine tonight, to be honest, I was pretty disappointed with it at the first try. Because the power rod is like sprint or resistant band, unlike the free weight system you feel the weight right the way, this thing makes you feel it's underweighted in the beginning of the pulling.
But I get used to it quickly, if you select the appropriate weight, it just works fine. I am impressed how many exercises can be done on one single machine. The spec says 210 pounds resistance, but the actual weight is properly 120-150lb. One guy on youtube said, you just forget the weight scale, choose what is good for your workout. I think this thing is good for most of people, unless you are a super man, that is different story.
It looks like the manufacturer purposely add a bracket to cover the spare rod hole obstructs people from upgrading, but I think it can be removed by a grinder if I really need to upgrade to higher weight in the future.
If I have compliant now, it's Bowflex didn't make an App for the workouts go with this machine.
what model did you buy again?
==
Telus iPhone 11 Pro
Jan 27, 2017
97 posts
26 upvotes
I got this a month ago. The price dropped by $100 since.

That said, it's great. I love it. No more driving 30 minutes round trip, fight for parking, change in dressing room for a public gym.

Very versatile machine. Can do a bunch of different exercises encompassing various muscle groups. For those that do power weight training, this may not be the best - but for most people, the weight resistance is sufficient (I consider myself average and there's plenty of more weight for me to add before I begin maxing out).

It's a long-term investment for myself. I love working out in the morning after bed, without leaving home, or during lunch breaks (while working from home).

Be warned it will take about 1-2 hours to assemble once out of the box.

While I did get this machine, I also got the Bowflex adjustable dumbbells from Costco. That's my basement gym and now just need to add some cardio related device.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2008
3919 posts
1722 upvotes
BC
McGarnagle wrote: I wish those 552 dumbbells or any type of powerblocks would come back in stock Disappointed But Relieved Face
Save a search and set up notifications on Kijiji to your phone. I scored a like new pair of PB just a cpl weeks ago for a really crazy deal.
They were having a baby and needed to clear stuff out. Life goes on so stuff like this will still pop up occasionally.
Jun 12, 2020
97 posts
132 upvotes
If you're lucky, the best deal is the Marcy home gym at Costco for $400: https://www.marcypro.com/marcy-150-lb-s ... ym-mwm-990

It's in-store and has been restocked at least twice at my local Costco. It's usually there for a few days but they only stock ~5 sets at a time.

PS: Scalpers stalk RFD for gym equipment. Don't post it on RFD and let it naturally sell out to people who actually need them. The last time I posted a Costco gym deal, it sold out in 30 min and I later found several scalpers selling it on FB marketplace.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2003
5007 posts
3737 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
hiker007 wrote: Well, everyone is different...
But I get used to it quickly, if you select the appropriate weight, it just works fine. I am impressed how many workouts can be done on one single machine. The spec says 210 pounds resistance, but the actual weight is probably 120-150lb. One guy on youtube said, you just forget the weight scale, choose what is good for your workout. I think this thing is good enough for most of people, unless you are a super man, that is different story. Also, try not to use your body weight to pull.
It looks like the manufacturer purposely add a bracket to cover the spare rod hole obstructs people from upgrading, but I think it can be removed by a grinder if I really need to upgrade it to higher weight in the future.
If I have a compliant now, it's Bowflex doesn't provide the workouts training app for this machine.
Let me know how you feel about it in 6 months.
Aug 22, 2019
123 posts
73 upvotes
I have had the Blaze for years. I still use it. More so now that the pandemic has squashed social life. I'm not looking to get super jacked, if you are these aren't for you. I use it to maintain and get in an honest workout. Works well for me. Still use it 3-4x a week. I agree with the weight scale, I don't always agree with the numbers. To each their own. With kids at home and a wife that works shifts, this has always been a great option for me at home. Haven't been to the gym in years. Worst part is the lack of guidance. These can do a ton of exercises, but you need to know what. If you are unfamiliar with said exercises, you won't know how to or do them wrong. This is where the machine fails for most IMO. Thankfully there is lots of videos and sites that have helped.