Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Braun ThermoScan 7 Ear Thermometer - $60.19 (Lowest ever)

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2021 1:28 pm
[OP]
Apr 27, 2010
269 posts
193 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.ca] Braun ThermoScan 7 Ear Thermometer - $60.19 (Lowest ever)

Lowest price ever for the Braun ThermoScan 7 Ear Thermometer.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00DLSRQCI?psc ... yp_imgToDp

Last edited by FPrince on May 10th, 2021 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
21 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
1104 posts
1008 upvotes
Ottawa
Nice, but sort of a niche market for those with 7 ears.
Jan 1, 2012
88 posts
139 upvotes
Vancouver
aidendanger wrote: Nice, but sort of a niche market for those with 7 ears.
Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Tightly-closed EyesThumbs Up Sign That gave me a sensible chuckle, thank you!
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
1104 posts
1008 upvotes
Ottawa
RFD604 wrote: Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Tightly-closed EyesThumbs Up Sign That gave me a sensible chuckle, thank you!
I am glad. I think we can all use a good sensible chuckle as of late!!

Hope everyone is hanging in there ☺️
Feb 14, 2006
858 posts
999 upvotes
Hammonds Plains
$59.99 new alt seller. For 20 cents.. rfd rfd
Dec 24, 2017
835 posts
1824 upvotes
lel
How accurate are these?
Koodo $45 - 4GB +1GB bonus (retention deal). S9 for $360-150 GC
Good toilet paper/paper towel deals
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
2979 posts
839 upvotes
Vancouver
Why would one buy this ear thermometer vs the contactless ones?
Ear thermometer suggests you replace the disposable filter while contactless don't need one.
Dec 12, 2015
64 posts
114 upvotes
North Vancouver
yvrwindsor wrote: Why would one buy this ear thermometer vs the contactless ones?
Ear thermometer suggests you replace the disposable filter while contactless don't need one.
For accuracy. You will never see a doctor using a contactless one. The ear one is important for babies as you need to know their internal temp. For contactless, you don’t really get consistent results as the spot you test is always different. Also, the environmental factors can impact contactless more. If you are wearing a sweater, your armpit will be hotter. If you were outside, your forehead will be cooler. But in the ear , the temp is much more consistent.

You don’t need to replace a filter, just the little plastic pieces that go over the end.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2009
1144 posts
341 upvotes
Mississauga area
If the ThermoScan 7 is anything like the ThermoScan 5, then it's great!

I bought the ThermoScan 5 from Costco when it was on sale and it's very consistent. I'm usually 36.7C and I measured myself every day for about 2 weeks and it always read it 36.6C to 36.8, but mostly 36.7C. When I got my AZ vaccine, I had a low grade fever the day after and I took a temperature every few hours and it showed my temperature slowly climbing throughout the day until my fever topped out at 38C.

As for the disposable plastic ear caps, they're cheap enough and it's not like you'll be taking your temperature that often. The only time I changed the ear caps was when my husband wanted to test it and check his temperature. If it's just my ears, I don't change out the ear caps.
[OP]
Apr 27, 2010
269 posts
193 upvotes
Toronto
Pingalino wrote: How accurate are these?
Better than contactless but less than the ones you insert anally. Your pick!
Nov 1, 2012
321 posts
315 upvotes
Markham
FPrince wrote: Better than contactless but less than the ones you insert anally. Your pick!
If I'm going to check my temperature then I might as well have some fun doing it.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8757 posts
1979 upvotes
These are great for kids, its fast and painless.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Jun 22, 2015
12 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto, ON
These temporal (ear) thermometers are the way to go. Numerous clinical studies show accuracy close to using a oral or rectal thermometer (similar Braun units).

The contactless units are very inaccurate. Contactless (forehead) are completely useless for temperature screening where you want to ensure people don't have a fever (true negative rate) although can provide a confirmation someone has a fever (true positive rate). See Sensitivity and specificity on wikipedia if you want to learn more.
Jul 24, 2015
29 posts
15 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
Pingalino wrote: How accurate are these?
I have this model and it worked accurately for a few months, and then stopped reading correctly. Now it gives readings 1.5 to 4 degrees higher than temperatures actually are. I went through two of these and they both did the same after awhile. They were really good when they worked, I just got shit luck with mine.
Dec 24, 2017
835 posts
1824 upvotes
lel
Grydvil wrote: I have this model and it worked accurately for a few months, and then stopped reading correctly. Now it gives readings 1.5 to 4 degrees higher than temperatures actually are. I went through two of these and they both did the same after awhile. They were really good when they worked, I just got shit luck with mine.
Thanks for the reply. Feels impossible to get a real temperature check for a 2 year old without all hell breaking loose. Not doing the arse method, i would rather just guess
Koodo $45 - 4GB +1GB bonus (retention deal). S9 for $360-150 GC
Good toilet paper/paper towel deals
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8757 posts
1979 upvotes
Grydvil wrote: I have this model and it worked accurately for a few months, and then stopped reading correctly. Now it gives readings 1.5 to 4 degrees higher than temperatures actually are. I went through two of these and they both did the same after awhile. They were really good when they worked, I just got shit luck with mine.
That's unfortunate, we have the ThermoScan 5 from Costco for 7+ years and it's been used with 2 babies/kids and still works great, very easy on batteries too as it's still on the original set of 2xAA batteries that came with the thermometer after 7 years.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Mar 14, 2006
485 posts
116 upvotes
Vancouver
I recently got one of these from Braun and it works really well, better than the previous one I owned which was a few models down (it was about 5 years ago). For a few years we always wondered why my son would have a little higher above average temp readings, not enough to cause alarm bells to go off but just enough to look odd, kids usually temp higher anyways so we didn't think anything of it, but when the second one was born a few years later, using the same one, we started to get higher readings which was enough to alarm us. Eventually I bought a new one and started comparing the 2, the first one was definitely off by a lot and reached out to Braun, they asked for it to do tests and came to the conclusion that it was a bit off (unlucky to get a bad one?) and sent us the 7 which now clocks in correctly. Sounds like a 1 off and not really a model line issue but Braun as a company looked to be very proactive when we raised a concern and they were quick to resolve the issue, we never demanded anything but their customer service made sure that I would definitely trust them in the future.

Also maybe have a backup thermometer, even if its a cheapo or old school one just to have more than 1 data point.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
2523 posts
867 upvotes
Whitehorse
What's the difference between the Thermoscan 5 and 7? I think the display lights up in colour on the 7. Anything else?
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2441 posts
386 upvotes
North York
We went through two of them, the model Costco sold a couple of years ago for close to this price. Both stopped working after a bit more than 18mo, Braun replaced the first, but not the second (replacement) unit.
May 25, 2015
55 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Costco has the 5 version for sale right now at $40. It has backlight too. Is it still worth spending extra $20 for version 7?