• Nov 4th, 2015 11:19 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
3706 posts
2478 upvotes
Calgary

[Amazon.ca] Breville BES840XL Infuser Espresso Machine $389.99 - $364 PM with BB

Saw this Breville BES840XL on sale for $389.99 which by itself is a good deal. PM with BB & one can bring it down to $364 which is probably the cheapest one will be able to buy this espresso machine new.

reviews are awesome on amazon.ca & .com as well. its a very nice espresso machine for a coffee enthusiast who doesnt want to plunk down $xxxx for a high end machine. pair this with a good grinder & one has a very good espresso setup for the home or even a small office.
18 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3040 posts
3006 upvotes
This is single boiler -- how important is a dual boiler machine?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
3706 posts
2478 upvotes
Calgary
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: This is single boiler -- how important is a dual boiler machine?
im not a barista or even a coffee snob. just a guy who enjoys 2 cuppa java a day. below is a review from amazon.com comparing this 840xl to the breville double boiler machine (i think its the bes920 but i could be wrong). as far as i can gather, the primary difference is a separate boiler for for instant steam. DB is probably the best way to go if one makes a lot of cappacinos/lattes/au-laits at one go. dont know how accurate the review is but the guy seems to think the 840xl comes darn close or rivals the breville DB on most counts when it comes to single shots. ofcos, a good grinder is crucial.

http://www.amazon.com/review/ROXBSNNP3UZ9L
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2006
2257 posts
2386 upvotes
Toronto
scotsum wrote: im not a barista or even a coffee snob. just a guy who enjoys 2 cuppa java a day. below is a review from amazon.com comparing this 840xl to the breville double boiler machine (i think its the bes920 but i could be wrong). as far as i can gather, the primary difference is a separate boiler for for instant steam. DB is probably the best way to go if one makes a lot of cappacinos/lattes/au-laits at one go. dont know how accurate the review is but the guy seems to think the 840xl comes darn close or rivals the breville DB on most counts when it comes to single shots. ofcos, a good grinder is crucial.

http://www.amazon.com/review/ROXBSNNP3UZ9L

Thank you, looks like decent machine.
I actually have breville 800esxl for couple years and happy with it. Wonder if I notice any improvements in coffee if I get this one.
Aug 5, 2015
147 posts
249 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I got this machine last November during Bay Days for a similar price (Believe $360 or so) and I have to say I love it. This is a great beginner entry machine for those who are just starting to be a coffee snob. As per OP, you also need a good grinder and good beans as well (if you are looking to purchase bulk beans or packaged ones from the supermarket, this isn't for you).

I make a latte, mocha or espresso everyday, maybe two over the weekends, the quality is excellent. Note that regular maintenance is required (monthly cleaning maintenance).

I have to say tho, the filter baskets are initially hard to pull out but overtime it gets easier with use.

In terms of the single-boiler vs double-boiler options... in all seriousness, unless you are a coffee snob, appreciate the efficiency of the machine and can taste the difference.. then yeah, go for it. Otherwise... the price difference is too much to pay for a dual boiler vs. this machine. So with this single boiler machine, for example, after you pull the shot, the temperature in the boiler is different than what you the ideal temperature is to froth the milk. Thus you will need to run the frother for about a minute to get it up to the ideal temperature before you froth your milk. Versus a dual boiler will run different water temperatures thus eliminate the inconvenience.
Banned
Dec 18, 2011
3995 posts
977 upvotes
Mississauga
Would not recommend one at all. Breville is my favorite kitchen brand, and its an extremely well built machine, but it's a hassle making them. I much prefer a Tassimo. Pop in, press a button, wait 30 seconds, done. Tastes great every single time.

Breville you have to make sure you're getting the right amount of pressure, make sure its tapered properly, etc. Plus cleaning is a PITA.
May 12, 2008
87 posts
42 upvotes
Vancouver
I bought one and had to refund it after a month of trying to make it put out good espresso. If you are really not fussy about your drink then it may work for you, but if you want really great espresso, you do have to put out about $800~ to get amazing shots. All I got out of the Breville was either sour or bitter, never had any "notes". I didn't even know what people are talking about when they say they taste "chocolate" or "syrupy". I thought they were crazy.

Ended up going with an Ascaso (Spain) after the refund and it's night and day difference. The shots really come out like syrup and if you spend the effort, you will get "chocolate" or "wine" like flavours.

The Breville is a no brainer operation, almost automatic in operation. The timer is set to stop and there's even auto clean mode. But the output will reflect the simplicity of what you put into making the espresso. For people who really appreciate their drink, look elsewhere. For people who just want a coffee and don't want to spend too much time/effort everyday, go with the Infuser.
Apr 4, 2006
137 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
I'd rather pick up a used Rancilio Silvia for the same price .. new they are around $900
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3040 posts
3006 upvotes
Can you guys provide links to the comparable Ascaso and Rancilio Silvia machines?
Jul 26, 2012
177 posts
42 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
I have had one for about 2 months. The Infuser seems good except I can't make latte art prob cause I am not good at texturing milk.

the infuser has a pressure gauge, and a pid for temperature control.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
3477 posts
2022 upvotes
scotsum wrote: Saw this Breville BES840XL on sale for $389.99 which by itself is a good deal. PM with BB & one can bring it down to $364 which is probably the cheapest one will be able to buy this espresso machine new.

reviews are awesome on amazon.ca & .com as well. its a very nice espresso machine for a coffee enthusiast who doesnt want to plunk down $xxxx for a high end machine. pair this with a good grinder & one has a very good espresso setup for the home or even a small office.
BB has a different product code BREBES840XL. How are you going to PM an anti PMing BB specific product code?
May 12, 2008
87 posts
42 upvotes
Vancouver
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: Can you guys provide links to the comparable Ascaso and Rancilio Silvia machines?
I bought my Ascaso here.

http://www.idrinkcoffee.com/Ascaso_Stee ... id-b14.htm

The Silvia has a lot of supporters and easy to find parts but a tad expensive for what you get that's why I went with Ascaso. For the same price you get the PID so no temp surfing needed. Better bang for your money.

Regardless of what you choose you'll still need a very capable grinder like the Baratza vario or else your espresso will taste like crap no matter how expensive your machine is.

It's a very expensive road to get amazing espresso but very rewarding if you are really into it. I also find the process of making coffee everyday fun and relaxing.
Dec 10, 2005
989 posts
2336 upvotes
Evagelion wrote: I bought my Ascaso here.

http://www.idrinkcoffee.com/Ascaso_Stee ... id-b14.htm

The Silvia has a lot of supporters and easy to find parts but a tad expensive for what you get that's why I went with Ascaso. For the same price you get the PID so no temp surfing needed. Better bang for your money.

Regardless of what you choose you'll still need a very capable grinder like the Baratza vario or else your espresso will taste like crap no matter how expensive your machine is.

It's a very expensive road to get amazing espresso but very rewarding if you are really into it. I also find the process of making coffee everyday fun and relaxing.
Second this... You need a good grinder to enjoy the coffee. and good grinder is not cheap either.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
3706 posts
2478 upvotes
Calgary
Redscott wrote: BB has a different product code BREBES840XL. How are you going to PM an anti PMing BB specific product code?
when i called, the BB csr was willing to PM this espresso machine against amazon. im guessing its possible YMMV depending on which csr u get.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
3706 posts
2478 upvotes
Calgary
dcxx wrote: Second this... You need a good grinder to enjoy the coffee. and good grinder is not cheap either.
absolutely correct. imo the grinder mite be as important (or perhaps even more so) than the espresso machine. im using a baratza v2 virtuoso grinder & it does a more than decent job for me. not cheap at $300 but not as expensive as some that i saw.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3040 posts
3006 upvotes
Silvia vs this Infuser comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6yntDUJcPE

There seems to be lots of negative reviews of the Silvia as well, so I think I'm going to stick with my Breville

FYI I had no issues PM'ing with BestBuy

Now looking at getting a grinder:

The new Smart Grinder Pro is on a massive discount at The Bay: http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... ID=2707744
$224 BCG820BSSXL
Edit: this was a one day sale, now back to regular price, but amazon still has it for $229: http://www.amazon.ca/Breville-BREBCG820 ... 486&sr=1-3

but it's hard to justify that much money when the non-pro 800 version has been $150 many times in the past:
ld-breville-smart-grinder-brebcg800xl-150-a-1343019/

Annoyingly, the BCG600SIL is also currently on sale at amazon and bestbuy for $169: http://www.amazon.ca/Breville-BCG600SIL ... B00RLXPHJ8
Reviews seem to put the 600 somewhere between the 800 and the 820 (same grind quality as the 820 but without the features)

Aaaaan finally there's the old BCG450XL which is discontinued but can be found at various online retailers for $100. Out of the box the grind isn't fine enough for espresso, but there's a well known mod that brings it to that level: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/grinders/2626 ... inder.html

Aghh can't decide.............

Comparison between the 4 Breville grinders:
http://www.letsgrindsomecoffee.com/best ... n-reviews/
Apr 4, 2006
137 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
I have a Silvia which I modded with a PID, Stainless water lines, BAR pressure gauge and float switch in the water tank that turns on an LED letting me know when the water is low. Im a nerd, what can I say.

I've used an Infuser in the past (my wifes parents have one) and it lacks when compared to a stock Silvia (Silvia = more powerful steaming, heat retention, build quality, commercial components, brass boiler, etc). My father in law wants me to buy another machine and give him mine (Im looking for a machine with an E61 grouphead).

In regards to the grinder I have a Rocky doserless, it works amazing however it clumps a little with finer grinds. It weighs about 18lbs, so needless to say it stays stationary on my counter.
Mar 21, 2011
885 posts
1137 upvotes
Well to each his own. Good espresso does take patience and practice. I bought a 870XL (kind of the same machine with a built in grinder) and have been very happy. Fresh roasted beans are a breeze. Mass market require a lot of patience. I have decent results from some of the not to so mass so produced brands from Costco. Seattle coffee gear has reviews for all of these machines and recommend checking out videos for comparison etc. I am very happy with my purchase as it meets my expectations (1-2 cappuccinos a day)
PozzyD wrote: Would not recommend one at all. Breville is my favorite kitchen brand, and its an extremely well built machine, but it's a hassle making them. I much prefer a Tassimo. Pop in, press a button, wait 30 seconds, done. Tastes great every single time.

Breville you have to make sure you're getting the right amount of pressure, make sure its tapered properly, etc. Plus cleaning is a PITA.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)