Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Breville BES880BSS Barista Touch Espresso Maker $1,020

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2021 3:59 am
Thread Summary
Of you're shopping around, check out RFD Reviews' top picks for the best espresso machines!
20 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24325 posts
31195 upvotes

Steady decline from months where stay-at-home was more in vogue.

Good for those who waited.
Jul 17, 2011
102 posts
83 upvotes
Even better deal to use with the 25% Amazon Business new account credit!
May 30, 2012
90 posts
34 upvotes
Scarborough
Which is better for daily home use: Brista Touch or Philips Lattego 4300?
Mar 25, 2018
401 posts
489 upvotes
I have nothing against this but why would someone pay almost twice for this over barista express? It seems to me this has a fancy screen and programmed milk frother. Not sure whether this creates nice froth but it isn't hard if you practice a bit.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
1581 posts
432 upvotes
Sipahi wrote: Which is better for daily home use: Brista Touch or Philips Lattego 4300?
Man.. I had the same question
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1167 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
I have the dual boiler for several years now and would recommend that. Pulling shots and foaming the milk at the same time is super convenient and speeds up multiple drink making. For a little bit more I would get that if you want a breville espresso maker.
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.
Confucius

Heatware
Oct 17, 2003
513 posts
149 upvotes
Fredericton
Sipahi wrote: Which is better for daily home use: Brista Touch or Philips Lattego 4300?
One is a semi auto machine and the other is a super automatic. Do you want to experiment with dosing, grind, tamping, extraction time and the option to froth milk yourself or press a button or two and let the machine do it all?

At work, I switched from an older Saeco automatic machine to the Barista Express and just learning to pull proper shots gave better espresso than the Saeco auto machine. The Saeco was a trooper, but the espresso quality started a gradual decline after a few years. I'd expect much better performance out of an older manual or semi-auto machine.

I plan to pickup the more basic Bambino (probably the plus) for weekend use at home.

As for the choice here, one will give better results if you'll willing to put the time in. The Lattego offers convenience. If you're only going to be making milk drinks, not sure there will be much of a difference...other than longevity.
Oct 17, 2003
513 posts
149 upvotes
Fredericton
NuF518600 wrote: I have nothing against this but why would someone pay almost twice for this over barista express? It seems to me this has a fancy screen and programmed milk frother. Not sure whether this creates nice froth but it isn't hard if you practice a bit.
Convenience factor and I'd hope the grinder is better than the one on the Express, specially for that price. You could buy a decent espresso focused grinder + Bambino for that price. If I were to spend over $1k on an espresso machine, I'd probably look at going separate grinder & machine (Rancillio Silvia?). Breville offers features as their selling points, other brand go with longevity & build quality.

Really comes down to if you want to be an at home barista hobbyist or just have pretty good espresso milk drinks with not much time investment. To each their own!
May 30, 2012
90 posts
34 upvotes
Scarborough
DarthV wrote: One is a semi auto machine and the other is a super automatic. Do you want to experiment with dosing, grind, tamping, extraction time and the option to froth milk yourself or press a button or two and let the machine do it all?

At work, I switched from an older Saeco automatic machine to the Barista Express and just learning to pull proper shots gave better espresso than the Saeco auto machine. The Saeco was a trooper, but the espresso quality started a gradual decline after a few years. I'd expect much better performance out of an older manual or semi-auto machine.

I plan to pickup the more basic Bambino (probably the plus) for weekend use at home.

As for the choice here, one will give better results if you'll willing to put the time in. The Lattego offers convenience. If you're only going to be making milk drinks, not sure there will be much of a difference...other than longevity.
Thank you for the detailed response. For me, I have multiple people potentially using the machine so Philips makes sense as not everyone wants to put in the time and effort and learning curve. Additionally, I can sacrifice some quality for the convenience and one step to make a coffee/milk drink. Most family members drink milk drinks as well. So I suppose, Lattego makes more sense for me.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2006
1924 posts
1017 upvotes
I have the dual boiler for several years now and would recommend that. Pulling shots and foaming the milk at the same time is super convenient and speeds up multiple drink making. For a little bit more I would get that if you want a breville espresso maker.
i have the basic BES870 solid machine for years, non-touch. Paid for itself in months (vs going to starbucks everyday). the touch version looks sort of the same, i assume functions the same too. Having dials to me may seem easier for basic coffee order. The touch looks cool though. Breville is a solid coffee machine for me, non-touch and probably touch too = )
https://www.amazon.ca/Breville-BES870XL ... 196&sr=8-2
Oct 17, 2003
513 posts
149 upvotes
Fredericton
Sipahi wrote: Thank you for the detailed response. For me, I have multiple people potentially using the machine so Philips makes sense as not everyone wants to put in the time and effort and learning curve. Additionally, I can sacrifice some quality for the convenience and one step to make a coffee/milk drink. Most family members drink milk drinks as well. So I suppose, Lattego makes more sense for me.
I got 8 years out of my Saeco Odea Go Plus. It definitely wasn't doing a good or decent job with espresso for the last couple of years. But it was averaging 2-3 shots per day for a loooooong time!
Oct 17, 2003
513 posts
149 upvotes
Fredericton
wakka2u wrote: i have the basic BES870 solid machine for years, non-touch. Paid for itself in months (vs going to starbucks everyday). the touch version looks sort of the same, i assume functions the same too. Having dials to me may seem easier for basic coffee order. The touch looks cool though. Breville is a solid coffee machine for me, non-touch and probably touch too = )
https://www.amazon.ca/Breville-BES870XL ... 196&sr=8-2
Or buy it at BB&B with a 20% off coupon. Got mine for $575+tax in July!
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15426 posts
10066 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Do you want to sear your own steak on each side how long you want, or do you want to put it in the broiler and get what you get? It matters less if it’s just being covered in sauce (you mainly drink lattes and capps).

However that analogy is better served by a separate consistent zero retention dedicated espresso grinder which I personally would favor over any built-in Breville grinder, going the semi-auto route and if drinking mainly straight up espressos.
Dec 27, 2013
548 posts
231 upvotes
Toronto
I have had this unit for several years, before that had a modified Rancilio Silvia, which I still miss.

Pros:
- Grinder is actually pretty decent, and you can set the dosage/grind according to the bean
- The automatic milk frother does a decent job
- Pulls a decent shot of espresso once you've dialed it in (see cons below)
- Cleans easily, and the automatic wand cleaning every time you froth is great
- The heat exchanger/pump heats up literally in seconds, though I still find I need to pull an empty shot to warm things up
- Nice to set up drinks as needed
- Comes with multiple attachments (SS milk container, "okay" tamper, multiple portafilter attachments)
- Grinder is built in, so no need for a separate one on the counter (my Baratza Vario has sat in a box for a few years now)
- The little razor thingy is very useful in getting the exact right dose interestingly enough

Cons
- Grouphead/portafilter is a bit small if that matters to you (it is not a commercial grade/size like the Rancilio and others), from my perspective it's fine but some espresso snobs will turn their nose at the fact that it is not 58mm
- This one drives me nuts at this price point...but turning on the machine and leaving it on doesn't warm up the grouphead and portafilter, so if you want a good shot you have to warm up the portafilter by dropping a blank dose of hot water or warming it up separately...again at this price point it's quite the miss in terms of features IMO. Surprised no one mentions this in the reviews.
- The temperature gauge for milk frothing is generally wrong (basically it checks the temperature of the bottom of the SS milk container), so I typically just use an external milk thermometer, but even then sometimes it stops frothing and the milk is only around 130-140 degrees vs if you set it to 150 or 160, then you have to let it clean itself, start it again and stop it when it gets to where you want it (a bit of a pain even if it is literally 10 seconds). I'd say it's "right" maybe 30% of the time sort of thing.
- Has just about enough steam pressure in one go to steam 2 cups worth of milk for a latte, and I mean, "just" enough...forget about large cups

At $1k, it's actually a great price especially given the decent quality built in grinder and outside of the "auto temperature" I've had zero issues with it once you get used to the quirks on pulling a good shot.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2006
1924 posts
1017 upvotes
Or buy it at BB&B with a 20% off coupon. Got mine for $575+tax in July!
great price and nice coupon discount! i think i got it on sale many years ago on amazon. i have a feeling BES870 goes on sale every so often a year - definitely worth waiting for if not in a hurry or BB&B way = )
Dec 27, 2013
548 posts
231 upvotes
Toronto
I don't own the Lattego, but I did get the Miele CM5300 for my basement (through points on my Amex). The CM5300 is good for a super auto, but as others mentioned, it is a completely different beast vs aa semi automatic like the Barista Touch.

The Super automatic CM5300 (similar to the latte go) wins on:

- ease of use
- clean up is super easy
- has some tweakability in terms of grind size, pre-infusion, etc
- Looks...umm ... cool I guess on the counter?

The Touch, and most semis, simply has the ability to make a better espresso shot, milk based espresso drink, americano, etc, if you're willing to figure out how to get the best out of it that is.

If instead you okay with a half decent drink and prioritize convenience and cleanup, get the super automatic. I continue to almost always use the Touch and at this point have no idea why I wasted the points on the CM5300, though I guess it looks nice in the renovated basement. lol
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
2083 posts
792 upvotes
NuF518600 wrote: I have nothing against this but why would someone pay almost twice for this over barista express? It seems to me this has a fancy screen and programmed milk frother. Not sure whether this creates nice froth but it isn't hard if you practice a bit.
I agree but it's still an ok price if you plan to buy one of these. The grinder has more settings and the frother is computer controlled and faster using a thermacoil than thermo block. With all that said, I don't think it's worth it, unless you were already paying full price for the express @800.
I have the express and it's the best bang for the buck.

Regarding the Philip's machine, a super automatic would not match a semi auto machine. I have both and the Philips is like drinking carton orange juice vs fresh squeezed from the breville.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
6642 posts
5169 upvotes
Sipahi wrote: Thank you for the detailed response. For me, I have multiple people potentially using the machine so Philips makes sense as not everyone wants to put in the time and effort and learning curve. Additionally, I can sacrifice some quality for the convenience and one step to make a coffee/milk drink. Most family members drink milk drinks as well. So I suppose, Lattego makes more sense for me.
Get the lattego if you've got multiple users who won't be able to (don't want to) learn to pull a proper shot.

We had a semi-auto before that my wife hated, sold it and ended up with a lattego. My wife hated having to make the espresso shot (hers were really, really bad lol) and then steam the milk. The coffee in the semi-auto was leagues better, but my wife doesn't notice a difference.

Overall the lattego is a solid superauto. The milk carafe is so easy to clean which is a definite pro if you do a lot of milk drinks.