Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 8, 2004
819 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.ca] Breville Café Roma Espresso Machine $129.99

Pretty good little machine. I’ve had mine for 4 years used daily still going strong.

Lowest price this year according CCC.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Dec 20th, 2019 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
9 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
2770 posts
3074 upvotes
My Amazon history indicates I bought this back in 2010. The heating block went just after the 1 year warranty and then it made mud water. The foam tool was always crap. I wouldn't waste my money on it, unless this is your first espresso machine and you just want to dip your toes a little.
Oct 4, 2009
306 posts
188 upvotes
Coquitlam, BC
I had this machine before and to be honest, it doesn't have enough pressure to pull proper espresso shots. It's good enough for lattes with the dual-wall filter but that's not really espresso.

It's definitely a fun machine to understand how to make espresso and the frother that it comes with is okay if you build enough pressure with a hack (turn the switch halfway between the centre and the steam setting until the yellow light goes on and leave it there to build pressure and then turn to the actual setting). That hack works to build pressure for espresso as well by the way...

I'd say, save your money till you can get the BES840XL or BES870XL on sale. It's a world of difference.
Jul 21, 2016
978 posts
2128 upvotes
deus wrote: I had this machine before and to be honest, it doesn't have enough pressure to pull proper espresso shots. It's good enough for lattes with the dual-wall filter but that's not really espresso.

It's definitely a fun machine to understand how to make espresso and the frother that it comes with is okay if you build enough pressure with a hack (turn the switch halfway between the centre and the steam setting until the yellow light goes on and leave it there to build pressure and then turn to the actual setting). That hack works to build pressure for espresso as well by the way...

I'd say, save your money till you can get the BES840XL or BES870XL on sale. It's a world of difference.
I used to sell and repair espresso machine for a living. Just for your information, the BES840XL and BES870XL use the same ULKA water pump as this ESP8XL. In fact, the first versions of the BES840XL also used the same thermoblock header. There should be plenty of pressure, and it certainly sound like you were using ground coffee that was not grinded the proper size, or your machine was defective (Bad pump, leaking block, ...)

It is possible to install a slightly stronger pump in this model. The dual wall filter is extremely cheap, a common "error" is that sometime people poke the output hole a bit too much and they enlarge it, resulting in lack of pressure.
Last edited by InvaIid on Dec 20th, 2019 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks OP, bought 25!
(Mod edit: You are awesome)
Jul 21, 2016
978 posts
2128 upvotes
thelasthunter wrote: My Amazon history indicates I bought this back in 2010. The heating block went just after the 1 year warranty and then it made mud water. The foam tool was always crap. I wouldn't waste my money on it, unless this is your first espresso machine and you just want to dip your toes a little.
The heating block going bad after a year usually happen when the machine was not descaled properly as often as it should. These cheaper model are fragile!
Thanks OP, bought 25!
Oct 4, 2009
306 posts
188 upvotes
Coquitlam, BC
InvaIid wrote: I used to sell and repair espresso machine for a living. Just for your information, the BES840XL and BES870XL use the same ULKA water pump as this ESP8XL. In fact, the first versions of the BES840XL also used the same thermoblock header. There should be plenty of pressure, and it certainly sound like you were using ground coffee that was not grinded the proper size, or your machine was defective (Bad pump, leaking block, ...)

It is possible to install a slightly stronger pump in this model. The dual wall filter is extremely cheap, a common "error" is that sometime people poke the output hole a bit too much and they enlarge it, resulting in lack of pressure.
It's quite interesting that they use the same pump. I cannot explain why it's different because I got frustrated with it and flipped it. Perhaps the pre-infusion helps on the 840?

I had a Sette 270 that I was using to grind fresh beans... I seriously doubt that my grind size was the problem.

Like I said, the ESP8XL is fine... it's just that the 840/870 have better features such as the auto-purge, control of pulls by volume, an actual PID that you can use to change temp etc.
Jul 21, 2016
978 posts
2128 upvotes
deus wrote: It's quite interesting that they use the same pump. I cannot explain why it's different because I got frustrated with it and flipped it. Perhaps the pre-infusion helps on the 840?

I had a Sette 270 that I was using to grind fresh beans... I seriously doubt that my grind size was the problem.

Like I said, the ESP8XL is fine... it's just that the 840/870 have better features such as the auto-purge, control of pulls by volume, an actual PID that you can use to change temp etc.
Pre-infusion could help but the real purpose is to get the whole puck of ground coffee wet, making sure there won't be any "unused" ground when you are done infusing (You might have noticed a few spot in your ground puck, back in your esp8xl days, where the puck was "dry")
Thanks OP, bought 25!
Aug 13, 2018
28 posts
19 upvotes
Ive been using one everyday for the last 2 years and it does great coffee for the price. I always put filtered water in it and descale it every 6 month or so. I grind my coffee with the breville burr grinder. Its not 2000-3000$ coffee geek equipment, but it's pretty good for my need.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
4759 posts
6809 upvotes
Vancouver
Price is very good, but that thing is louder then a chopper.. At least my was before I gave it away cuz it would wake everyone if I tried to make a shot early in the morning.....

[Have no such issue with my DeLonghi.]
"A fool and his money are soon parted" Thomas Tusser (1524-1580)
May 30, 2006
242 posts
29 upvotes
I love this thing. Highly recommended. No problems from me after 4 years. I guess the frother could be faster but it does the trick