• Last Updated:
  • Sep 28th, 2022 3:42 pm
[OP]
Nov 12, 2017
489 posts
764 upvotes
Saint John, NB

[Amazon.ca] Brother HL-L2320D Monochrome Laser Printer - $149.99

These aren't often in stock on Amazon. The price has increased quite a bit in the last years but it's the cheapest you can get now.

Staples.ca will charge you 190.

I ended up buying something regular price for something better (and still cheaper) while I was driving through New Hampshire to save the tax.

For anyone who can't wait and who doesn't want to worry about expiring ink cartridges, this might be a good option.

No scan function, no copy, no fax, just basic printing.
Last edited by stizarch on Sep 10th, 2022 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
125 replies
Aug 14, 2010
488 posts
926 upvotes
Ottawa
I would spend a little more and get an AIO.

I have a Brother laser AIO and I end up using the scanner quite a bit.
He/Him

RFD: Paying $100 a month for a phone is a good deal.
Mar 8, 2009
275 posts
608 upvotes
Toronto
Does anyone know what the colour equivalent of this is?
Nov 22, 2015
767 posts
1012 upvotes
Toronto
sdg wrote: I would spend a little more and get an AIO.

Ive been waiting for Brother.ca to bring stock of AIO color lasers for almost 2 years now Neutral Face
Oct 3, 2018
170 posts
317 upvotes
Surrey BC
At any price, the Brother-branded printer is the way to go. We still have an HL-2140 since 2009 which we paid $25 for with rebates.

Had to change toner over the years but still works reliably and they still continue to update their drivers, even on Linux.
Nov 10, 2016
228 posts
331 upvotes
Montreal, Qc.
sdg wrote: I would spend a little more and get an AIO.

Since I started using an android app scanner, I stopped using the scanner long time ago, works better and faster (mobile doc scanner mdscan).
Sep 28, 2010
126 posts
112 upvotes
I purchased a refurbished 2360D 4 years ago and it's still going strong. I don't print often, which is why I chose laser. Still over 50% on the toner.

I would disagree about having to go for an AIO unless you happen to have a very specific need for quality on your scans. Smartphone document scanning works well enough for probably 90% of use cases these days.
Mar 8, 2009
275 posts
608 upvotes
Toronto
rfd222222 wrote: At any price, the Brother-branded printer is the way to go. We still have an HL-2140 since 2009 which we paid $25 for with rebates.

Had to change toner over the years but still works reliably and they still continue to update their drivers, even on Linux.
I had an almost-brand-new HP Printer and when I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 they stopped supporting it and it literally won't print from the computer, I have to print using a USB stick or email. Never again.
Last edited by Mikus007 on Sep 12th, 2022 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
2829 posts
2297 upvotes
Antarctica
I have been waiting for the 2550DW AIO to go on sale forever but I don’t think it’s happening any time soon as supply chain is still borked.

But since brother has it in stock on their site, you can apply an email sign up coupon to make it $235. For $65 more though. If you don’t need AIO at all buy the Amazon one then. I do need it sometimes so been looking for staples or Amazon to discount the brother AIOs.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2012
1626 posts
662 upvotes
Winnipeg
i hate brothers...Cartridges/toners are way too expensive and most of the time generic toners do not work even though they claim to bypass chips...Canons are way nicer and cheap to refill
Oct 20, 2019
714 posts
1492 upvotes
Ottawa
DonCapo wrote: Since I started using an android app scanner, I stopped using the scanner long time ago, works better and faster (mobile doc scanner mdscan).
A scanner not only scans pages, but it can act as a photocopier. It's a good way to -say- photocopy a full passport etc..
Dec 12, 2009
335 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto
Crichtonfan wrote: I have been waiting for the 2550DW AIO to go on sale forever but I don’t think it’s happening any time soon as supply chain is still borked.

But since brother has it in stock on their site, you can apply an email sign up coupon to make it $235. For $65 more though. If you don’t need AIO at all buy the Amazon one then. I do need it sometimes so been looking for staples or Amazon to discount the brother AIOs.
yup same...
Sep 21, 2019
729 posts
488 upvotes
There was a time when refurb brother printers went for very cheap, I think less than $100 for a full-fledged office AIO with an auto document feeder for scanning in bulk.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24061 posts
30664 upvotes
This is decent post-inflation pricing, but I remember paying considerably less from 2019 and earlier.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
2277 posts
1959 upvotes
Toronto
I picked up an older model of this series (2270dw) from the garbage room years ago.
Figured it's probably used up toner and the owner didn't want to spend to buy new toner.
I picked it up, bought new toner from 123ink.

However, I've learned this printer comes with a way to reset the count via the buttons, and since I still haven't replaced the toner that I bought.
And it's been years since having this picked up. Lasted through out the pandemic printing of worksheets for the kids.
Think I've reset the count 2-3 times already, and yet it still prints...lol

Overall this is an awesome printer that does duplex that my wife loves.

However if I had a choice I'd get the DW version of this printer as the OP's is USB only.

In comparison, I have a lexmark that pretty much has all the same feature as this, it's much more expensive, much bigger, the toner are SUPER expensive, and it's buggy at times.
Nov 22, 2009
885 posts
1258 upvotes
Toronto
Crazy how I paid $60 for this in 2015.
Oct 27, 2021
54 posts
85 upvotes
I have owned this exact model since 2015 and am very satisfied with it. At the time, I bought it because it offered two-sided printing at a very reasonable cost. Would definitely recommend for anyone who has basic printing needs.
Images
  • IMG_20220819_110540.jpg
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
1457 posts
900 upvotes
$170 for a basic monochrome laser printer? what the heck...
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1888 posts
902 upvotes
Winnipeg
flaris wrote: Crazy how I paid $60 for this in 2015.
I paid $60 plus tax for a refurb 2520DW direct from bother in 2017. Finally had to replace the cartridge 6 months ago.

Bought a 2 pack of cartridges from amazon for $20 and works perfectly.
Lorenzo
Nov 10, 2008
966 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
Printers typically fail due to the simplest of problems - Jamming due to worn non-replaceable pickup rollers (on the cheap models), small pieces of plastic breaking on trays, fuser worn out. Old printers were much better quality than new models which have very thin plastic so it's better to keep the old ones going if possible than be in a rush to replace it. At this price point Brother is good value since drums can be replaced over time.

I am not a big fan of AIO and prefer to get an inexpensive separate scanner which works out to be about the same price anyway.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)