Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 30, 2019
822 posts
635 upvotes
Brampton

[Amazon.ca] Brother Laser Printer $79

Brother HL-L2320D Monochrome Laser Printer with Duplex Printing https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00LEA5EHO/ref ... 6DbSZFEA4Z

Lowest was $58 as per 3c while ago
Last edited by brampton90 on Dec 6th, 2019 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2012
1138 posts
628 upvotes
Burlington
It's not the lowest accoring to CCC. That would be $58.99. However, it hasn't been as low as $80 for about two years, so if you don't need a document feeder or scanner this seems to be a decent value.
Oct 7, 2017
714 posts
1172 upvotes
No wireless in 2019 (almost 2020) is pretty much a non-starter for me. Bought a $150 HP multi function Laser 4 years ago and it’s great but no wifi definitely limits where in the house it can go.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2008
1402 posts
273 upvotes
Toronto
would be better if this has "wireless" connection instead of an USB printer
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
3797 posts
2451 upvotes
Ontario
Not sure if there is a better model of this now:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004ULP9QA

This worked for many for many many years and got it for $99 then like 1-2 later got for the space price for my mother. Ethernet/wireless and all.

I just recently got one for about $450 for color, etc but it's a big beast.
---
Aug 11, 2018
884 posts
759 upvotes
exsiccation wrote: I am looking for one with a scanner as well, but this is a decent price. Had another Brother laser printer previously and it was excellent.
Use your smartphone to scan documents. It’s faster and higher quality.
Nov 25, 2014
383 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto, ON
idontwantausername wrote: Use your smartphone to scan documents. It’s faster and higher quality.
Do you have any specific App in mind that does this? The one that I prefer leaves a watermark and is not acceptable in many places where they require scanned copies.
Jan 24, 2008
23 posts
22 upvotes
We've had this printer for 4 years at our office and it's a workhorse. So far, it's printed 54,619 pages at an average of 3.86% coverage, and it's had 30 paper jams (20 of those were 2 sided prints). Most of those jams were pre-perforated tear-out business cards that came apart when going through the printer.

It's used 2 drums (needs a new one now) and 17 high-yield toners. I only buy the cheap compatible consumables (save-on-many is the brand, $12 or so per cartridge) off amazon and they work well (only 1 didn't work out of the box, but that's not the printers fault).

If you are looking for a simple b&w document printer with duplex, it's a good choice.
[OP]
Aug 30, 2019
822 posts
635 upvotes
Brampton
tintin2k2 wrote:
Do you have any specific App in mind that does this? The one that I prefer leaves a watermark and is not acceptable in many places where they require scanned copies.
Cam scanner for ios
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2447 posts
736 upvotes
Gta
brampton90 wrote: Cam scanner for ios
CaM scanner is what I have used for years...but lately I have been told by the receiver of the scan is that the scanned copy is blurry .
Koodo member
Dec 2, 2019
86 posts
53 upvotes
I've had great experiences with Brother. I've also had my eye on Epsons.
I like coupons and turtles.
Aug 11, 2018
884 posts
759 upvotes
exsiccation wrote: Every smartphone scanning app I've used (including Google Drive) has looked like grainy garbage or had problems with perspective, lighting, color consistency, etc. It works in a pinch, but it's not really appropriate for archival use or trying to get a 1:1 copy.

I may be behind the curve here, though, so if there's any other apps I should know about I'd certainly appreciate hearing about them.
i use the built in scanner in iOS, but prior to this being a feature, I used scanner pro i believe.

what kind of phone were you using before? obviously if the camera on the phone is not good at taking normal photos then it will have issues "scanning" documents. personally never had issues on iPhones and scanning documents in the stock notes app or 3rd party.
queenofhearts wrote:
CaM scanner is what I have used for years...but lately I have been told by the receiver of the scan is that the scanned copy is blurry .
if the receiver is getting a blurry photo then it's being optimized either by the app you're using to send the document, your email provider or whatever.
tintin2k2 wrote: Do you have any specific App in mind that does this? The one that I prefer leaves a watermark and is not acceptable in many places where they require scanned copies.
i mean.. if it works then i'm sure paying the $1 to remove the ads isn't a big deal...

there are free ones out there that don't leave watermarks. but again, i'm not sure in 2019 as i use iOS to scan my documents.
Nov 23, 2014
416 posts
364 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
I've got a similar one of these printers that I got refurbished and it's still on its original 'starter' cartridge. Also have a refurbished epson scanner sitting on top of it haha. Too many bad experiences with the scanner or printer breaking on a multifunction... 0 problems since I've separated them.
Nov 25, 2014
383 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto, ON
brampton90 wrote: Cam scanner for ios
it will leave a watermark and the images are not very crispy clean.
Dec 10, 2004
196 posts
138 upvotes
Winnipeg
tintin2k2 wrote: Do you have any specific App in mind that does this? The one that I prefer leaves a watermark and is not acceptable in many places where they require scanned copies.
The best free scanner app for me is Microsoft Office Lens. It's available in Windows phone, android and IOS. It scans documents, business cards and whiteboards. It has some amazing cropping features and save options.

Play Store

Apple Store

Short intro on youtube:

Introducing Office Lens for Iphone

Introducing Office Lens for Android