Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 B+ (B Plus) Starter Kit (32 GB EVO+ Edition, Premium Black Case) - $78.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2019 2:21 pm
[OP]
Member
Mar 2, 2006
347 posts
133 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 B+ (B Plus) Starter Kit (32 GB EVO+ Edition, Premium Black Case) - $78.99

CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 B+ Starter Kit (32 GB EVO+ Edition, Premium Black Case) on sale for $98.99 (from $129.99) minus $20 coupon making it $78.99.

Includes Made in UK Raspberry Pi 3 B+ (B Plus) with 1.4 GHz 64-bit Quad-Core Processor, 1 GB RAM
Dual Band 2.4GHz and 5GHz IEEE 802.11.b/g/n/ac Wireless LAN, Enhanced Ethernet Performance
32 GB Samsung EVO+ Micro SD Card (Class 10) Pre-loaded with NOOBS, USB MicroSD Card Reader
CanaKit 2.5A USB Power Supply with Micro USB Cable and Noise Filter - Specially designed for the Raspberry Pi 3 B+ (UL Listed)
CanaKit PiSwitch, Premium Raspberry Pi 3 B+ Case, High Quality HDMI Cable, 2 x Heat Sinks, GPIO Quick Reference Card, CanaKit Full Color Quick-Start Guide
42 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
13734 posts
1917 upvotes
Mississauga
my Raspberry Pi had been useless for me (after trying out few experiments, like HTPC, ROM Emulation etc), till I ended up installing Pi.Hole, now it's the most critical networking device in my home. Highly recommend hooking up Pi Hole on it to block telemetry and ads, across your network, no matter what device.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 18, 2017
834 posts
1587 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
weedb0y wrote: my Raspberry Pi had been useless for me (after trying out few experiments, like HTPC, ROM Emulation etc), till I ended up installing Pi.Hole, now it's the most critical networking device in my home. Highly recommend hooking up Pi Hole on it to block telemetry and ads, across your network, no matter what device.
OT: I’ve been wanting to do what you did for a long time, but the thing holding me back is that I use smartdnsproxy at home for Hulu/Netflix US and I’ve read that the two are not interoperable.

Any tips? Appreciate if you could share tips over PM if doing it here details the thread.
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 19, 2018
1099 posts
1160 upvotes
vancityguy0 wrote: OT: I’ve been wanting to do what you did for a long time, but the thing holding me back is that I use smartdnsproxy at home for Hulu/Netflix US and I’ve read that the two are not interoperable.

Any tips? Appreciate if you could share tips over PM if doing it here details the thread.
Not much you can do with that. You can't really merge two DNS together easily. The best you can do is keep your smartTV and tv box on Smartdnsproxy.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 8, 2003
8066 posts
565 upvotes
Scarborough
weedb0y wrote: my Raspberry Pi had been useless for me (after trying out few experiments, like HTPC, ROM Emulation etc), till I ended up installing Pi.Hole, now it's the most critical networking device in my home. Highly recommend hooking up Pi Hole on it to block telemetry and ads, across your network, no matter what device.
I'm exactly in the same boat like you. Pi-hole is awesome device, it block all the sh1t$ under the Sun :)
Deal Guru
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
13734 posts
1917 upvotes
Mississauga
vancityguy0 wrote: OT: I’ve been wanting to do what you did for a long time, but the thing holding me back is that I use smartdnsproxy at home for Hulu/Netflix US and I’ve read that the two are not interoperable.

Any tips? Appreciate if you could share tips over PM if doing it here details the thread.
Like other posters recommendation, I'd just use the smartdnsproxy on your devices that you need for Hulu. Rest should be on pi.hole
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2010
1228 posts
273 upvotes
Is there any place to get the pi zero at its advertised price ~$5 ? Without dealing with all these retailers charging an arm & leg for shipping and only allowing to buy 1 per shipment ?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 19, 2018
1099 posts
1160 upvotes
fizz1234 wrote: Is there any place to get the pi zero at its advertised price ~$5 ? Without dealing with all these retailers charging an arm & leg for shipping and only allowing to buy 1 per shipment ?
https://www.buyapi.ca/product-category/ ... pi-boards/

You might be able to pick up for $7 here if you are close to them but it is still limited at 1. Don't know any place that doesn't limit Pi Zero.

For this Pi Hole purpose, an older Model A+ would be good cause you don't need an extra Ethernet adapter

https://www.buyapi.ca/product/raspberry ... 256mb-ram/ which is probably the cheapest you can get in Canada.
Member
Dec 14, 2017
286 posts
281 upvotes
Cucumference wrote: https://www.buyapi.ca/product-category/ ... pi-boards/

You might be able to pick up for $7 here if you are close to them but it is still limited at 1. Don't know any place that doesn't limit Pi Zero.

For this Pi Hole purpose, an older Model A+ would be good cause you don't need an extra Ethernet adapter

https://www.buyapi.ca/product/raspberry ... 256mb-ram/ which is probably the cheapest you can get in Canada.
If you use a pi hole as a DHCP server though, and it's filtering your web traffic, then wouldn't it make sense to connect it via ethernet to minimize lag between traffic?
Member
User avatar
Mar 25, 2013
374 posts
196 upvotes
Toronto
Fantastic price. Might have to pick up another.
DroidKid
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 15, 2014
2090 posts
872 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
fizz1234 wrote: Is there any place to get the pi zero at its advertised price ~$5 ? Without dealing with all these retailers charging an arm & leg for shipping and only allowing to buy 1 per shipment ?
This.
The whole point of the raspberry pi is that it's cheap (well, that's how I see it at least).
But good luck actually getting the low-cost one at the advertised price.
This space for rent.
Newbie
Jul 11, 2016
52 posts
33 upvotes
weedb0y wrote: my Raspberry Pi had been useless for me (after trying out few experiments, like HTPC, ROM Emulation etc), till I ended up installing Pi.Hole, now it's the most critical networking device in my home. Highly recommend hooking up Pi Hole on it to block telemetry and ads, across your network, no matter what device.
Throw Wireguard on there and you can have the adblocking on it 24/7. Its an awesome upgrade.
Member
Jan 10, 2011
391 posts
159 upvotes
karvagio wrote: Throw Wireguard on there and you can have the adblocking on it 24/7. Its an awesome upgrade.
Can you briefly explain how you are using Wireguard? Are you tunneling back into your home network from your cellular connection in order to route back through Pi-hole?
Member
User avatar
Jul 15, 2009
286 posts
466 upvotes
Toronto
TheImp wrote: This.
The whole point of the raspberry pi is that it's cheap (well, that's how I see it at least).
But good luck actually getting the low-cost one at the advertised price.
This exactly. You can pick up an low-power optiplex for $75 and make it a pfsense box. Now you've got enterprise grade router capable of handling true GB speeds, with real network security (IDS/IPS) plus infinitely better ad-blocking than a pi-hole (including an actual local DNS resolver that does local DNSSEC validation).

Best to pick Pi's up off the Arrow deals or used of Kijiji, at the elevated price points they've lost their raison d'etre.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 10, 2005
3961 posts
1118 upvotes
GTA
Chep wrote: Can you briefly explain how you are using Wireguard? Are you tunneling back into your home network from your cellular connection in order to route back through Pi-hole?
That's the idea. You connect back to the home network and in turn, you use the pihole as the DNS server

Top