Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Canon MF634CDW - $279.99 - Colour Duplex Scan/Printer w/ Fax

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2018 2:06 am
Oct 18, 2004
414 posts
276 upvotes
Saint John

[Amazon.ca] Canon MF634CDW - $279.99 - Colour Duplex Scan/Printer w/ Fax

Was looking to upgrade my printer to colour and set a chamel chamel chamel alert on the Canon due to its colour duplex scanning, fax and printing capability. This is the lowest the price I have seen it with the closest options that I'm aware of being the Brother https://www.amazon.ca/Brother-MFC-9340C ... B00DJG8D88 or the Lexmark cx417de (no wireless) http://www.cendirect.com/main_en/tech_s ... EI&rSrc=sb.
Last edited by LaZeRACED on Jun 17th, 2018 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
22 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1775 posts
2879 upvotes
Kingston
Price in subject line please. Saves us the trouble of going in to the thread.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2005
2132 posts
763 upvotes
robbyl wrote: Same price at Staples. https://www.staples.ca/en/Canon-imageCL ... CA_1_20001
25$ off coupon will bring the price lower.
Where do you find a $25 off coupon? I found a $20 off coupon though [...]
Last edited by Mars2012 on Jun 17th, 2018 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: link had a non-RFD referral tag
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4278 posts
5209 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Price on the printer is great. Not saying it is a bad printer, but a few compatible cartridges I have seen available for this model, seem to be a flop. If you need to buy the original toners for this unit, it will quickly become very expensive.
When looking for a printer, always check the availability and reviews of compatible cartridges. The toner replacements should be part of the equation. Also check the rated yield of each cartridge.

When evaluating printer cost, I typically calculate what it would cost me to print about 15000 pages (assuming the 5% coverage since most toner is rated as such). Also, check to see if there are other consumables needed and what their recommended replacement is (drums, waste toner box, etc..). So at least initial cost of printer, and "x" amount of toner kits (depending on rated toner yields).

I own 2 printers.. 1 b/w older HP work horse which is used for 95% of my printing and is very cheap to run., And a small color laser, for the occasional color prints. Even when my kids print their reports for school, the reports go to the b/w printer, and then I'll just reprint the color pages on the color printer. I don't want to print 100 page report on a color printer, for the 2 color diagrams which are contained in it :)

Anyhow, to each their own. Just a thought..
Oct 26, 2011
521 posts
244 upvotes
HP 477fdw is also similar. There is a pagewide (inkjet) that is similar too in functionality.

I have the 477fdw and use Moustache compatible toners. Works out well, especially when on sale.

This is a great price though. Good find.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
Emporium wrote: Not saying it is a bad printer, but a few compatible cartridges I have seen available for this model, seem to be a flop
https://www.amazon.ca/Sprint-Toner-Comp ... B076CQD7BG
I have no way of knowing whether those are fake reviews, and I've never tried those toners.

Yield
Black 2,800 pages
Colour 2,200 pages @5% coverage

https://www.fakespot.com/product/sprint ... e-shipping

Drum is included in Canon cartridges
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Jun 17th, 2018 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
May 20, 2003
619 posts
412 upvotes
Toronto
I have an older model of this, and it’s still going strong after more than 5 years. If I need ink, I go to the local ink store to get their cheaper ink toner replacements.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
BTW, if anyone has a lead on good (in other words, you tested yourself) compatible Canon 045H replacement toner cartridges, please provide a link. Thank you

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1SET-Color-Tone ... 3105767145
Not sure whether these are any good. They are cheaper than the ones I linked previously.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4278 posts
5209 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Webslinger wrote: https://www.amazon.ca/Sprint-Toner-Comp ... B076CQD7BG
I have no way of knowing whether those are fake reviews, and I've never tried those toners.

Yield
Black 2,800 pages
Colour 2,200 pages @5% coverage

https://www.fakespot.com/product/sprint ... e-shipping

Drum is included in Canon cartridges
I checked those out also, but @ $240, it is hard to justify just "trying" the cartridges.

Including the Drum with the toner is good in the sense that you know you always get a new drum. But on the compatible units, it can be a hit&miss. I remember back in the day of my old HP LJ4 (first laser I had), the issue with compatible toners was always the drum which was part of the toner cartridge. I know they have come a long way since then, but the drum is very critical, and adds a huge cost for the average home user.

Compared to the Brother color tponers (TN221/TN225 high yield versions - which are very popular on their color lasers - and have similar yield), they are pricey. The brother are cheaper (yes, no drum included - and drum is rated for 15000 pages - however I have friends with 20000+ prints and drum is still printing fine ).
And if you are want cheaper, they have cheaper versions also... And super cheap they have these (I don't vouch for these, but at $50 and fulfilled by amazon, many are willing to try)

So cost of printers is one thing.. But consumables is where they try to make their money.

However, if you need duplex scanning and printing, then the price of this printer is hard to beat. The closest thing on the Brother side is the MFC-L8900CDW as far as I can tell, and cheapest I've seen it for now is about $500 at stooples. Now if you don't need the duplex scan, then the options open up (like the Brother HL-3180CDW), but still typically more than the price of this printer.

Great printer from what I've read in reviews, but consumables are pricey.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
Emporium wrote: I checked those out also, but @ $240, it is hard to justify just "trying" the cartridges.
Yeah, some stores that sell toner offer a guarantee and offer a refund if the product is horrible. I have no clue whether that one does, but you may be able to claim a product is defective:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/help/customer/ ... =201889730.

These are $126 for a set: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1SET-Color-Tone ... 3105767145.
But they could be horrible (I have no idea).

However, if you need duplex scanning and printing
and single pass, duplex faxing

Actually, I have this printer already. Faxing on it works amazingly well with Freephoneline using T.38 fax protocol with an Obihai ATA.
I don't print enough, currently, that I care at the moment (it'll take me a couple years or more before I run out of starter toner). By then, I'm hoping someone has a lead on good, cheap toner. And that's why I'm interested. Costco.ca doesn't carry compatible Canon 045H toner currently either.

I do factor drums into my costs with other printer brands, having seen issues with them with other printers before. And I also consider LAN drivers quite heavily. Canon's, for this laser printer, is not resource hungry.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Jun 18th, 2018 11:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2004
6654 posts
1455 upvotes
good deal thanks OP, footprint of this printer look small too consider it is a color all in one with duplex scan.
I also like the fact that the paper tray is inside as oppose to those cheaper ones which the papers expose to the dust in the open.
Toners not as cheap as Brothers I guess because the drums are built in,
it sucks though knowing that you are paying more to replace the toner with a drum every 2800 pages when a Brother drum by itself will last 15000 pages.
Oct 18, 2004
414 posts
276 upvotes
Saint John
xtrmDeals wrote: Price in subject line please. Saves us the trouble of going in to the thread.
Done :-)
Oct 18, 2004
414 posts
276 upvotes
Saint John
Webslinger wrote: Yeah, some stores that sell toner offer a guarantee and offer a refund if the product is horrible. I have no clue whether that one does, but you may be able to claim a product is defective:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/help/customer/ ... =201889730.

These are $126 for a set: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1SET-Color-Tone ... 3105767145.
But they could be horrible (I have no idea).

and duplex faxing

Actually, I have this printer already. Faxing on it works amazingly well with Freephoneline using T.38 fax protocol with an Obihai ATA.
I don't print enough, currently, that I care at the moment (it'll take me a couple years or more before I run out of starter toner). By then, I'm hoping someone has a lead on good, cheap toner. And that's why I'm interested. Costco.ca doesn't carry compatible Canon 045H toner currently either.
Added the duplex faxing. Handy feature for those needing faxing capability.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4278 posts
5209 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Webslinger wrote: ...

and duplex faxing

I do factor drums into my costs with other printer brands, having seen issues with them with other printers before. And I also consider LAN drivers quite heavily. Canon's, for this laser printer, is not resource hungry.
Yes Duplex faxing is definitely a nice feature for those who still need to fax a lot. I don't fax much, and when I do, I either use the machines at the office (large xerox workcenter 5xxx series) , or I just scan document to PDF, and then pull out my old Dell laptop, and use the onboard fax/modem ;) And I also use the T.38 fax protocol with my Obi202 ;)

We do more printing than faxing or scanning in my household, so toner costs can quickly rise. Got 2 teens in post secondary studies. Even when we do scan, it is typically from a book, so duplex or even ADF is pretty much pointless. I use an old Canon LiDE 60 scanner mostly. Quick, simple, and since it is USB powered only, no need for any brick adapter. I keep it in a drawer, and pull it out only when I need.

LAN drivers are definitely a huge thing. Completely agree. If you have to install a pile of bloatware with all sorts of "malware" (like some Epson workforce inkjets), just to print, then answer is NO WAY. I like HP for that, since drivers are light weight (at least for their business class lasers). Uses built in windows print spooler services and just installs a printer definition file. It's as lightweight as it gets. The Dell C1760nw color I have, is not that bad either. On Win7 it used to install a small control panel to handle the manual duplex (unfortunately it doesn't have an auto-duplexer), but on Windows 10, windows handles it all right out of the box with no additional drivers (gets them automatically online). Ever since I had gotten my HP LJ4100 with duplexer, I had promised myself I'd never get another printer without an auto duplexer. But since the Dell color laser came at $0, it was hard to pass up. And my Samsung CLP510 was costing too much to maintain and was huge. Toner was getting low (and looking at another $250+ to get a new set) and transfer belt replacement was approaching, so it was not economically an option any more. Timing was right.

Canon makes amazing mechanisms for printers. HP would not be using them for so many years. Canon provided the first engine on HP's first laserjet (Canon CX engine). And then the EX engine on the HP Laserjet 4 in 1992 (which I owned - and paid $1300 for back in 1992 - and that was employee pricing). One of the first 600dpi engines, and till this day, it can still rival the print quality of many other printers (a lot slower than newer printers however).
In 2016, HP bought out Samsung's printer business, to try to decrease their dependence on canon, but till this day, they still heavily use canon engines in their high end lasers. They are just super reliable.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
Emporium wrote: And I also use the T.38 fax protocol with my Obi202
:thumbsup:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/4PK-045-045H-CR ... 2896711611
I might take my chances with those for $129.59

Only 1 user review
https://www.amazon.com/LCL-Compatible-C ... merReviews

Obviously, I have time to wait before making a decision. Hopefully more reviews will appear by then.
Jan 27, 2009
237 posts
240 upvotes
Ottawa
OOS at staples for me and price is up to $460 at Amazon
Darryl
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
After getting my in-laws a new B&W MFP, I decided since I needed a new scanner, getting this device for home wouldn't hurt.

Amazon would only ship to my residence (even though Amazon Pick up location was offered in early stages of checkout) so bought from Staples and had shipped to store.

Thanks, OP.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2011
1577 posts
2071 upvotes
Knowhere
I always have a question of how color laser printer works. If i print a black document, will the printer only use the black ink, right? Or i need to say use black or color?

Thanks