• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2021 12:28 pm
[OP]
Sep 8, 2006
780 posts
279 upvotes
Richmond

[Amazon.ca] CAP Barbell Flat/Incline/Decline Weight Bench 300lb capacity $95.93

Good price for a decline/incline/flat bench. Definitely at the low end for weight capacity, should be fine for dumbbells for most people! Reminder, generally benches fail at at least twice the "capacity" weight.

Vary your workout with 4 different flat, incline, and decline positions sturdy foot placement for safety and durability increase your agility, build strength, and improve your endurance features dumbbell holders for easy access and storage bench weighs only 26 lbs. A fine piece of equipment for a home gym with limited space. Multi-position bench. Durable heavy-gauge steel frame. Dense foam padding. Accommodates user and weights up to 300 lbs. Some Assembly required. 49.61L x 24.8W x 41H inches. Manufacturer's warranty included (see product guarantee).

Note:The lock nuts have a lining on the inside that the bolts must pass through to tighten. You may need to use a tool to hold the nut while screwing in the bolt as it needs force to actually pass through. Once you have passed through this lining you will be able to tighten all the way down. Also make sure that when building your bench that it is done on a flat and level surface and do not tighten one bolt all the way first, you must tighten them evenly to avoid it being uneven.
Last edited by emmpeethree on Feb 19th, 2021 12:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
25 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
1946 posts
4175 upvotes
Markham
Reminder, generally benches fail at at least twice the "capacity" weight.
Ok, I have no issues with a bench that's mainly for body weight exercises or light dumbbell work, but suggesting people take it over the rated cap because it "generally" won't fail?

C'mon dude.
[OP]
Sep 8, 2006
780 posts
279 upvotes
Richmond

decent price for a flat/incline/decline bench. certainly a budget bench at the low end of the capacity spectrum. should be fine for dumbbells?

Vary your workout with 4 different flat, incline, and decline positions sturdy foot placement for safety and durability increase your agility, build strength, and improve your endurance features dumbbell holders for easy access and storage bench weighs only 26 lbs. A fine piece of equipment for a home gym with limited space. Multi-position bench. Durable heavy-gauge steel frame. Dense foam padding. Accommodates user and weights up to 300 lbs. Some Assembly required. 49.61L x 24.8W x 41H inches.
Jun 30, 2016
184 posts
488 upvotes
Vancouver
This bench is pretty small. I'm 5,11 and it's not big enough to do most exercises comfortably. Just a heads up.
[OP]
Sep 8, 2006
780 posts
279 upvotes
Richmond
Dave510 wrote: Ok, I have no issues with a bench that's mainly for body weight exercises or light dumbbell work, but suggesting people take it over the rated cap because it "generally" won't fail?

C'mon dude.
i didn't suggest anything... more of a "just saying"

c'mon dude
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
1946 posts
4175 upvotes
Markham
emmpeethree wrote: i didn't suggest anything... more of a "just saying"

c'mon dude
Ok, sure.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5007 posts
2430 upvotes
Ottawa
Well, your post does say: Reminder, generally benches fail at at least twice the "capacity" weight.

This bench might be okay for light dumbbell work but I wouldn't use it for anything requiring stability and definitely out of the question for presses.
Nov 14, 2017
34 posts
16 upvotes
CaptSmethwick wrote: Well, your post does say: Reminder, generally benches fail at at least twice the "capacity" weight.

This bench might be okay for light dumbbell work but I wouldn't use it for anything requiring stability and definitely out of the question for presses.
Second that, bought a similar model from Walmart years ago, and this thing wobbles alot. It is decent for strength training, better use a chair for stability exercises.
[OP]
Sep 8, 2006
780 posts
279 upvotes
Richmond
DizzyYak wrote: This bench is pretty small. I'm 5,11 and it's not big enough to do most exercises comfortably. Just a heads up.
what about it is not big enough?
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
4427 posts
1328 upvotes
Not that useful for the average man who can bench press their own weight. If I have a bench like this, I'd be sweating (mentally) as I attempt a one-rep-max set (the bench could collapse).
signature closed for renovation
Jun 30, 2016
184 posts
488 upvotes
Vancouver
emmpeethree wrote: what about it is not big enough?
Your head will hang off of the bench if you sit on it properly. If you move down then your tailbone is elevated above the rest of your body. Just generally very uncomfortable bench for flat or decline work.
[OP]
Sep 8, 2006
780 posts
279 upvotes
Richmond
recordman wrote: Not that useful for the average man who can bench press their own weight. If I have a bench like this, I'd be sweating (mentally) as I attempt a one-rep-max set (the bench could collapse).
i think it goes without saying that this bench is not for everyone given the capacity. it's a $100 name brand budget bench with flat/incline/decline --- there's nothing else comparable at the price point.
May 13, 2015
884 posts
1213 upvotes
Dartmouth, NS
the 300lb capacity is really bad.

if you weigh 180 pounds... that means that you could only bench 120 pounds... and even that puts it right to the max limit. Ya, you could probably put more weight than 300 pounds and it would be fine... but it's generally not a good idea to go over the capacity. even a total beginner lifter could probably bench more than 120 pounds.

might be alright for dumbbells if you're not going super heavy.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1853 posts
1665 upvotes
CaptSmethwick wrote: Well, your post does say: Reminder, generally benches fail at at least twice the "capacity" weight.

i have a flat bench sayi bc 300 pounds. i replaced all the cheap ass screws with heave duty ones for a few bucks.
[OP]
Sep 8, 2006
780 posts
279 upvotes
Richmond
BillyBill wrote:
if you weigh 180 pounds... that means that you could only bench 120 pounds... and even that puts it right to the max limit. Ya, you could probably put more weight than 300 pounds and it would be fine... but it's generally not a good idea to go over the capacity. even a total beginner lifter could probably bench more than 120 pounds.

if you're planning to bench with a barbell it would be worth investing in something more heavy duty --- and with a rack
May 19, 2020
55 posts
21 upvotes
BillyBill wrote: the 300lb capacity is really bad.

Sounds like this for women.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2007
1022 posts
1625 upvotes
St. Albert, AB
BudD62653 wrote: Sounds like this for women.
Actually, this is (although this is not for women only). Initially I was thinking this was pretty low max weight for a bench. I weigh 180 and bench 60 lb dumbbells so that'd max it out safety wise and I by no means lift heavy. However, my teen son is 40 lbs lighter than me and does not lift near that much so this would work for him ... but for his height (6').

For those not as tall, not overly heavy, have no interest ever going above 50 lb dumbbells (ie. that Costco set of dumbbells many are searching for), and (male and female) just beginning to work out, or etc..., I would actually say this is a decent bench if you are aware of its weaknesses in terms of overall capacity, useable length, etc...

That said, DO NOT go beyond the rating for the bench. It is 300 lbs regardless of what the OP suggests other benches have failed at.