Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

CAP Barbell Olympic Bar "The Beast", 2-Inch, 1000-Pound Capacity, 7ft - $217.97 (also @ Walmart)

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 5th, 2021 8:56 pm
[OP]
Newbie
User avatar
Mar 19, 2018
18 posts
162 upvotes
Kanata

[Amazon.ca] CAP Barbell Olympic Bar "The Beast", 2-Inch, 1000-Pound Capacity, 7ft - $217.97 (also @ Walmart)

CAP Barbell Olympic Bar "The Beast", 2-Inch, 1000-Pound Capacity, 7ft
free shipping

Amazon https://www.amazon.ca/Barbell-Olympic-2 ... B001K4OPY2
Walmart https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/cap-barbel ... 0188615842
Last edited by TomRFD on Mar 4th, 2021 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated title
18 replies
Jr. Member
Nov 7, 2018
168 posts
158 upvotes
Thanks OP looking to buy for a friend but the reviews say there are issues with metal shavings and splinters. Probably not a good buy for long term.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 18, 2013
4527 posts
6876 upvotes
BC
ithrifteveryday wrote: Thanks OP looking to buy for a friend but the reviews say there are issues with metal shavings and splinters. Probably not a good buy for long term.
I have had this BB since last summer, paid ~$190. Metal shavings issue only came up when I was using cheap cap cast iron plates as the sleeves are ribbed and the edges on the plates are sharp. I switched to Rubber Coated posted with smoove metal tube and no more shavings.

Overall I'm happy with it
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2489 posts
3503 upvotes
GTA
one review from 2017 on amazon
Nice bar for the price ! (122,99$ at time of purchase)
Disappointed But Relieved Face
Newbie
Dec 11, 2018
6 posts
10 upvotes
ithrifteveryday wrote: Thanks OP looking to buy for a friend but the reviews say there are issues with metal shavings and splinters. Probably not a good buy for long term.
I've used this barbell exclusively 5x week for 3+ years and have had no problems with it.
Newbie
Dec 11, 2018
6 posts
10 upvotes
tutorgray wrote: I've used this barbell exclusively 5x week for 3+ years and have had no problems with it.
However my overall review would be the following:

As an intermediate lifter using the bar mainly for powerlifting mvmts, I'm now at that spot where I'll need to most likely upgrade to a stiffer bar. The barbell was great, up to a point where I failed 180/200KG~ squat and it fell on my powerbars. I honestly think it's been curved ever since slightly, so be wary that if you fail on safety bars with this much weight, the same could happen to you as well.

As a more intermediate/advanced lifter, (talking about programming, training, smolov/nsuns/sheiko users) I believe this bar will be outgrown, and perhaps an immediate upgrade to a OPB would be better in the long run.
Sr. Member
Dec 20, 2012
508 posts
427 upvotes
Barrie
It's fine - had it, sold it. Metal splinters were an issue (I had cast plates at the time). I found the knurling to be pretty mild.

For me, it just wasn't a big enough step up from the basic York bar I had. Upgraded to a Rogue SS bar and never looked back (apples to oranges comparison there).

If you need a bar, you could do worse... If you're wanting to upgrade, you can do better.
Sr. Member
May 28, 2011
808 posts
802 upvotes
How does this compare to the Synergee Rhino?
Newbie
Jun 11, 2018
63 posts
35 upvotes
Any comparisons to the cheaper bars available in the market right now, aka Northern Lights?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 7, 2014
1780 posts
2617 upvotes
Gud Ol' Ontariuh Boy
Kinda off topic (sorry) but does anyone know where I can find some Olympic plate dumbbell bars?

I'd like to reuse my plates for dumbbell workouts but everything seems to be 1" and/or out of stockn
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2009
2155 posts
2153 upvotes
Ottawa
mada41 wrote: If you need a bar, you could do worse... If you're wanting to upgrade, you can do better.
Very nice summary
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 18, 2013
4527 posts
6876 upvotes
BC
ChippewaBarr wrote: Kinda off topic (sorry) but does anyone know where I can find some Olympic plate dumbbell bars?

I'd like to reuse my plates for dumbbell workouts but everything seems to be 1" and/or out of stockn
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06XRJK8D8/ref ... 6369A3HAY8

Or

https://www.fitnessdepot.ca/B01BVI11216 ... ell+hanDle

I tried the Sunny Health and the $59.88 Northern Lights one, the Sunny Health are higher quality but still wouldn't recommend Olympic db handles. I found them really bulky and slightly hard to grip/balance when you go heavier. Getting them in and out of pressing position is a pain in the ass as the ends stab your thighs.

Recommend getting powerblocks or the Costco set, if you want to go heavy then Pepin dumbbell handles are good (I have them) but they're 1" plates.
Member
Jun 22, 2016
413 posts
298 upvotes
Not important
Pratzy wrote: How does this compare to the Synergee Rhino?
The cap beast says it's 110,000 PSI. Tensile Strength on the Synergee Rhino is 190,000 PSI. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, the Beast has no center knurl and the Rhino does. I have the Rhino. IMO the Synergee Rhino is a better quality bar but they've raised the price significantly (from 289 to 389 in approx January). Even with the 20% off coupon, I would pay the couple hundred or so extra to get a Rogue at this point. I thought it was well priced at the original. I only paid 232 plus tax for my rhino after using a coupon.
Jr. Member
Mar 27, 2008
100 posts
52 upvotes
This is a good barbell for the price. I bought this in 2017 from amazon for $165. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it at the higher pandemic price it's currently at.

Coop from Garage Gym Reviews even recommends it. I've used it 3x per week for 3 years without any concerns. Not the best bar in the world, but a great value.

Edit: I was, and still am a beginner lifter. I'm not doing huge squats/deadlifts on this thing. It works well for my use case and experience level.
Sr. Member
Jan 27, 2011
526 posts
329 upvotes
I own the Beast. I like the Beast. Excellent barbell.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2018
2183 posts
1608 upvotes
Good short term bar. But if you're gonna keep a bar forever, I suggest rogue. The quality is really nice. They have pretty good customer service, too
Sr. Member
May 28, 2011
808 posts
802 upvotes
Lag333 wrote: The cap beast says it's 110,000 PSI. Tensile Strength on the Synergee Rhino is 190,000 PSI. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, the Beast has no center knurl and the Rhino does. I have the Rhino. IMO the Synergee Rhino is a better quality bar but they've raised the price significantly (from 289 to 389 in approx January). Even with the 20% off coupon, I would pay the couple hundred or so extra to get a Rogue at this point. I thought it was well priced at the original. I only paid 232 plus tax for my rhino after using a coupon.
Thanks, I have the Rhino as well via the same deal. Looks like it was an amazing deal in hindsight, glad I pulled the trigger then.

Top