CAP Barbell Power Rack Exercise Stand, Multiple Colors $182.11

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2021 9:56 am
[OP]
Dec 11, 2020
13 posts
31 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] CAP Barbell Power Rack Exercise Stand, Multiple Colors $182.11

Grey Colour 182.11 + Tax not applied yet.
Temporary out of stock, but pricing is marked down to 50% off. Ship when in stock.
Not sure of the actual quality of the power rack, but I'm sure you can't get a power rack for any cheaper.
These were posted in February for just around the same price.
Last edited by TomRFD on May 12th, 2021 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
50 replies
Nov 12, 2012
738 posts
459 upvotes
Calgary
Their naming convention is confusing and a bit misleading. Most people would call this a squat stand, and not a power rack but it's pretty self explanatory when you see the picture.
Images
  • 41GlgHZyapL._AC_SY350_.jpg
Sep 29, 2010
464 posts
618 upvotes
MikeinYYC wrote: Their naming convention is confusing and a bit misleading. Most people would call this a squat stand, and not a power rack but it's pretty self explanatory when you see the picture.
Yup.

I've bough CAP stuff before and it's been generally good, but I'm a little concerned about this rack past a couple of hundred pounds of load. It looks like the vertical posts are held up by 4 small plates which will have some major torque on them. I do like that it's connected at the top unlike some squat racks though.

Might be worth looking at if you can re-enforce that bottom join, somehow.

Also, would be nice to have 2 sets (4) of the adjustable bar catches.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2015
1096 posts
1419 upvotes
Dartmouth, NS
not even any safetys on this.

get a full power rack.
Penalty Box
Jul 28, 2010
688 posts
85 upvotes
BillyBill wrote: not even any safetys on this.

get a full power rack.
Never used safeties in my life and I’ve squatted 3+ plates
They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2206 posts
829 upvotes
I bought this early in pandemic for around 220 from Canadian Tire. So it’s not really 50% off, but def a good deal. I would personally spend a couple more bucks and get a GFF (gear for fit) power rack as it takes up the same footprint.

I mostly used this for pull ups which it was good for, not much weight to it though.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4914 posts
1519 upvotes
This is fine for squats and curls. Maybe some light rack pulls and shrugs.

But forget about using it for bench. I don't even warm up without safetys.
Let's hug it out
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2009
1743 posts
1526 upvotes
Ottawa
laptopuser wrote: Never used safeties in my life and I’ve squatted 3+ plates
When you need them, you really need them. I have only ever needed them as a safety *once*; it was enough to convince me how important they are. (same with seatbelts)
Feb 3, 2019
372 posts
368 upvotes
yea forget seatbelts too and air bags, we dont use them, why do we pay extra for these useless safety stuff?

/s
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
3760 posts
1675 upvotes
Grimsby
^Genuinely curious - why would one need safety arms for squats? Do you not know how to fail a rep properly if needed?
Sep 14, 2007
913 posts
330 upvotes
joey003 wrote: ^Genuinely curious - why would one need safety arms for squats? Do you not know how to fail a rep properly if needed?
Probably need to invest in commercial grade padding for your home floors depending on where you drop from.
Also if you are pushing near 1rm type weights, the last thing on your mind is getting ready to react to when you're going to fail. The risk of your body getting crushed cause you couldn't "fail safely" isn't worth just getting actually safety bars.
Even if you are only pushing say 50% of 1rm, you still need to train near failure to train properly. Safeties are a no brainer imo, but to each their own.
Nov 29, 2010
179 posts
50 upvotes
I bought this a while back (February) - It took amazon a couple months to cancel my order for whatever reason D: so here's my 2nd attempt good luck to myself
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1613 posts
958 upvotes
joey003 wrote: ^Genuinely curious - why would one need safety arms for squats? Do you not know how to fail a rep properly if needed?
I've squatted up to 3 plates, never knew there was a safe way to fail.
I just slowly crumple until the safeties catch the bar.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4186 posts
2081 upvotes
Milton, ON.
And there is a first time for everything.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4186 posts
2081 upvotes
Milton, ON.
PerformingAzura wrote: I've squatted up to 3 plates, never knew there was a safe way to fail.
I just slowly crumple until the safeties catch the bar.
He means to drop the bar off your back on the floor.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2016
1115 posts
2115 upvotes
Many of the comments remind me how real the process of natural selection is and how ignorance can be bliss 🤣
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
3857 posts
5435 upvotes
BC
I have no problem dumping weight in a commercial gym but wouldn't want to do the same on my home floors
Feb 3, 2019
372 posts
368 upvotes
Seriously? After I used a seatbelt/airbag analogy? Do you not know how to jump off a car before it gets in an accident?
Banned
Apr 21, 2021
12 posts
37 upvotes
I bought this rack last week. Its good for the price and excellent for working out during the pandemic lockdowns. That said, I wouldn't recommend going too heavy with it because it feels a little unstable, especially when benching.