• Last Updated:
  • Aug 3rd, 2020 3:47 pm
45 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
3773 posts
1906 upvotes
Vancouver
Wish this was around before my daughter went into calculus last year!
Apr 14, 2015
155 posts
45 upvotes
Regina, SK
Seriously at that price I'm just gonna buy it to make me look a bit more like an engineer
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
1320 posts
954 upvotes
Québec
uses AA battery also.
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2486 upvotes
Wow didn’t know calculator was so cheap.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2007
15327 posts
2526 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
hot hot hot

IIRC this is the calculator used at Rye high for stats courses. I think I bought it at about $70-80 ish at the Ryerson book store several years back?
Oct 3, 2014
11 posts
3 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
This is a very good calculator. I bought one for $35 a few years ago when it was on clearance at Target. I used it for a while and then gave it to my son for his high school course. He said it was a lot easier to use compare with TI calculator. Also you can flash a modified 9860 firmware into it to add a couple of extra functions like spreadsheets.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2009
1047 posts
329 upvotes
Kitchener
Why? I honestly think you need to understand calculus first before using such aid...
Bishop8 wrote: Wish this was around before my daughter went into calculus last year!
Слава Україні!
Jun 10, 2020
980 posts
996 upvotes
Agreed. University Calculus doesn't allow graphing calculators.

I don't know about trying to pull-off an 'engineer' with these.. pretty sure they use pretty restricted calculators too. In fact, at UofA where I went to school they had approved calculators with engineering faculty seals/stickers on them on sale at the bookstore -- all pretty basic casios with not a lot of advanced features.

I had a Casio graphing in Highschool though (the colour(!) one!) -- I appreciated it... though no one else had one yeah, i found mine more efficient as that link above/.pdf shows. Worked ok for me (mom bought it, wasn't wealthy) and was cheaper for sure. There were times I had to do a bit more reading to use it bit it could do the same or more than those TI-84's.
Granted, this was all 20 years ago :D But it's not like math is a thing (at the high levels, at least) that changes too much over many, many years.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
4053 posts
3859 upvotes
Toronto
Over clock it to play doom

Last edited by dracolnyte on Jul 30th, 2020 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 10, 2020
980 posts
996 upvotes
My only disclaimer though would be that the the Texas Instruments seemed to be a bit of hardier construction/plastic.. and sometimes (as mentioned) instructions given to the class I had to figure out on my own/use the manual (though the menus are pretty helpful (unlike the TI's). I suppose you could try to use this in Grade 12 Intro Calculus.. but I'm pretty sure our teacher banned them from that class :P too easy to find derivitives/integrals.|
Blast-from-the-past.. amazing how we're getting excited over calculators.. :P
Jun 10, 2020
980 posts
996 upvotes
chatbox wrote: I had the first gen / classic when I was in school, as well as the 7700G and the 9850G:
https://www.petervis.com/Calculators/Ca ... 9750G.html

Good days.
Yaaas... I had this, but in COLOUR :D (ok, a 3-colour screen :P ) .. Was revolutionary at the time.. No other calculator had this in 1996.
EDIT: Ahh, the 9850 GB Plus. Right on the wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casio_graphic_calculators

Last edited by DasHip on Jul 30th, 2020 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10643 posts
7231 upvotes
The newer version, 9750GIII, looks really bad ass.
Nov 21, 2012
356 posts
196 upvotes
GVA
Do kids really need a physical graphing calculator at high school (in BC) ? My daughter uses Desmos online and seems to be fine with it.
Jun 10, 2020
980 posts
996 upvotes
alfred2003 wrote: Do kids really need a physical graphing calculator at high school (in BC) ? My daughter uses Desmos online and seems to be fine with it.
Chatbox, just when we thought we were advanced and catching up to the kids these days Alfred drops this bomb... :P

No computers, cellphones, etc. at my desk in those days...