Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
3656 posts
1842 upvotes
Vancouver

[Amazon.ca] Casio G-Shock Solar Atomic watch $85

$97 USD at amazon US https://www.amazon.com/G-Shock-GWM500F- ... 00DIA6W6A/
Specs :
Multi-Band Atomic Timekeeping (US, UK, Germany, Japan, China) Receives time calibration radio signals which keep the displayed time accurate Auto receive function (up to 6 times per day/up to 5 times per day for China) Manual receive function Signal: US WWVB, UK MSF, Germany DCF77, Japan JJY40/JJY60, China BPC Frequency: US 60kHz, UK 60kHz, Germany 77.5kHz, Japan 40/60kHz, China BPC 68.5kHz
Tough Solar Power
Shock Resistant
200M Water Resistant
Full Auto EL Backlight with Afterglow
World Time 31 times zones (48 cities + UTC), city code display, daylight saving on/off
4 Daily alarms and 1 Snooze Alarm
Hourly time signal
1/100 second stopwatch Measuring capacity: 23:59'59.99" Measuring mode: Elapsed time, split time, 1st-2nd place times
Countdown Timer Input range: 1 minute to 24 hours (1-minute incremants and 1-hour increments)
Full auto-calendar (pre-programmed until the year 2099)
12/24 hour formats
Button operation tone on/off
Accuracy: +/- 15 seconds per month (with no signal calibration)
Battery power indicator
Power saving function
Storage battery: Solar rechargeable battery
Approx. battery life: 9 months on full charge (without further exposure to light)
Module: 3405
91xSbFGP1YL._UL1500_.jpg
16 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
3467 posts
533 upvotes
Toronto
Seems like a solid deal. I pulled the trigger and bought one.
Oct 13, 2009
260 posts
57 upvotes
North York
REALLY?!?! I have 4 more watches coming and 1 just received 1 2 days ago....AND YOU SHOW ME THIS!!!!! I NEED AN ATOMIC!!!! lol thanks OP

AND DONE!!!! ordered 1
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
3656 posts
1842 upvotes
Vancouver
Ojibway Bob wrote: REALLY?!?! I have 4 more watches coming and 1 just received 1 2 days ago....AND YOU SHOW ME THIS!!!!! I NEED AN ATOMIC!!!! lol thanks OP
AND DONE!!!! ordered 1
I managed to resist. It was a tough fight though ... :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
3656 posts
1842 upvotes
Vancouver
price just went up to CDN$ 103.73
RFD effect ...
Nov 16, 2006
888 posts
379 upvotes
Somewhere between Mi…
Price went up to 103.73 in the couple minutes I was watching a Youtube video about it!!! Amazon pricing sure is volatile.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
13951 posts
4048 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I bought a variant of this about 4 years ago from Costco for about $85, or there about. Solid watch as are all G-shock atomic watches. The watch face is a tad on the small side, the buttons are pretty stiff to press (but that would be a plus for waterproofing), and the band is not that comfortable if you have smaller wrist, because the band is not hinged at the lug. Because of the above, it doesn't get much wrist time for me. But since it's solar-powered, at least I can leave it idle in a box for months, and not have to deal with changing batteries.
Oct 13, 2009
260 posts
57 upvotes
North York
charlesd79 wrote: I managed to resist. It was a tough fight though ... :)
I want to up vote you for your resistance, BUT I also want to down vote you for being against buying a watch LOL

But for your bank account...Up vote it is LOL good for you.

Now maybe so 1 will help me make up excuses to my Wife for my 3 Orients, 1 Seiko, Hamilton now this I bought this past month.
Banned
Nov 29, 2015
1424 posts
522 upvotes
Brossard, QC
charlesd79 wrote: price just went up to CDN$ 103.73
RFD effect ...
Does Amazon.ca really change the price automatically based on the orders they received?
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2008
1623 posts
403 upvotes
GTA
wxw2015 wrote: Does Amazon.ca really change the price automatically based on the orders they received?
From what I have read, yes they do change prices with an algorithm or some other method.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2011
1421 posts
506 upvotes
I've had this watch before. The face is tiny. If you're an older person who doesn't want to squint I'd skip this model.

However, anything ~$85 CAD shipped is a good deal IMO for this one.
Nov 16, 2006
888 posts
379 upvotes
Somewhere between Mi…
Bedboi wrote: can anyone advise what is so good about this seiko watch? seems expensive.
What Seiko watch?
Jul 26, 2011
14 posts
22 upvotes
TORONTO
Bedboi wrote: can anyone advise what is so good about this casio watch? seems expensive.
I have a similar G-Shock Casio watch (mine has the stainless steel band, slightly different face), and it's value above the multiple Ironman watches I've had were:

- It syncs time from the NIST radio frequency daily, so it's always accurate (FYI - this didn't work living in a condo - too much interference)
- The battery is solar recharging, so it lasts longer
- It is the most durable watch I've ever owned - I went through three (also stainless) Ironman watches playing sports as the bands tend to not do well with impacts.

I paid even more for mine on eBay a few years ago (~$130), but I've been happy with it for years.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
13951 posts
4048 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Bedboi wrote: can anyone advise what is so good about this casio watch? seems expensive.

this kind of digital watch brings back memory in my middle school days as i was rocking these
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00A46 ... YIK6Y9EEQB
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003LL ... YIK6Y9EEQB
There's nothing wrong with the Timex. They are durable as hell, and pretty accurate, but the atomic and solar features of the Casio would justify the price premium. And it's virtually indestructible. I must say though, those 2 small round sub-dials in the Casio as just gimicky, with no real useful function, and damn difficult to read at the best of times.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
20065 posts
7409 upvotes
Socially Distanced
I'm glad its solar powered and not atomic powered like the model name suggests
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people