• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2021 4:09 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2002
1872 posts
573 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Casio G-Shock Solar + Atomic Watch (Model #GWM5610-1) - $118.14

Arguaby the most versatile and bang-for-buck Casio G-Shock watch model from the "Square" series.

Currently $118.14 at Amazon.ca

Compare: $174.99 at BestBuy.ca

Casio Canada Product Page and Manual.

History of Casio G-Shock "Square" Watches from Fratello Magazine

YouTube Review:

Last edited by Civuck on Jan 21st, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
160 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2018
3583 posts
5613 upvotes
Kitchener
price in title please :D
Gaming PC: i9 9900ks, RTX 3080 10gb, GTX 1070 8gb, 64GB RAM
Media PC: i5 9400f, GTX 1070 8gb, 32GB RAM
Homework PC: i5 8400, GTX 960 2gb, 32GB RAM
Phone: iPhone 8 64GB
Banned
Jan 19, 2021
13 posts
72 upvotes
I never get the lure of g-shocks.
Dec 16, 2019
57 posts
57 upvotes
Thanks op grabbed 2 been waiting for a deal on these !
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14768 posts
6008 upvotes
Ottawa
I ordered this the last time and they sent me the wrong watch. Had to send it back.

This is one of the the sweet spot model, the closest thing to the original DW-5000 G-Shock....but having solar and atomic sync which are must have features. I don't like buying watches where you have to replace the battery every 2 years, and atomic sync is good too.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1691 posts
775 upvotes
Toronto
Must resist....already have the G5600, basically same as this without the atomic sync.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
2305 posts
805 upvotes
I've been eyeing this watch too. Does anyone have recommendations on where or which adapters to get if you want to change out the wristband?
“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. -Wayne Gretzky"
- Michael Scott
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5564 posts
2150 upvotes
Debtario
Awesome watch, this is the thinnest and lightest gshock you can get while still getting most of the features except ABC sensors. Love wearing it while cycling and doing anything that could scratch or ding my analog watches.

If you want a metal case and nicer band you need to pay up around $400 to 500 for the Japanese GW5000 with the exact same module. Then there are the newer full metal gshocks that cost more, and only add bluetooth and a metal case and bracelet. Up from there you got the Mr. G series at around $1K and the titanium metal Gshocks that are even more absurdly expensive.

This is about as cheap as it gets for a solar powered watch with atomic time, the only thing close are some of the citizen skyhawk and chrono AT models at around $300 when on sale.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Nov 16, 2015
598 posts
1124 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Got this watch years ago.

Ended up selling my other watches and keeping this and an Apple Watch. The Apple Watch is barely worn because of WFH

Note: the stock band is crap. Mine broke after a couple of years. If you need to replace the band get the following directly through Casio.

Band number 10323536 For the GW5000-1. Cost me $20

It’s a significantly better band and a perfect fit.
Last edited by Andyc416 on Jan 21st, 2021 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 18, 2009
89 posts
48 upvotes
wow, looks right our of the late 1980's early 1990's
Nov 15, 2014
42 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The tough solar and atomic time makes this basically a very low maintenance watch. I have a tough solar that's been running for 10 years now and I never had to do anything. With the atomic time, the watch will update with an atomic radio frequency once a day at midnight. You can force the watch to try pick up a signal, but I found sometimes it takes a couple of days to get the watch to pickup the time when you are in a new location.

Great find OP.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2002
1872 posts
573 upvotes
M1K3Z0R wrote: If you want a metal case and nicer band you need to pay up around $400 to 500 for the Japanese GW5000 with the exact same module. Then there are the newer full metal gshocks that cost more, and only add bluetooth and a metal case and bracelet. Up from there you got the Mr. G series at around $1K and the titanium metal Gshocks that are even more absurdly expensive.
There's the MT-G series of high-end G-Shock watches which range from $1100 to $1400 CAD

Above that is the top-end MR-G series which range from $3200 to $10500 CAD.

The top premium G-Shock models are manufactured at Casio's Yamagata Factory in Japan. See here:

Nov 12, 2004
70 posts
12 upvotes
Calgary
Andyc416 wrote: Got this watch years ago.

Ended up selling my other watches and keeping this and an Apple Watch. The Apple Watch is barely worn because of WFH

Note: the stock band is crap. Mine broke after a couple of years. If you need to replace the band get the following directly through Casio.

Band number 10323536 For the GW5000-1. Cost me $20

It’s a significantly better band and a perfect fit.
Thank you for this tip. Did you call Casio Canada directly and placed the order with them?

I have the exact same watch and it's almost time to get a replacement band.

Thanks
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2002
1872 posts
573 upvotes
Spiritualx wrote: Only boomers would wear this Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes...grabs popcorn
This Canadian boomer sure did:

Fun Fact: This was reportedly Keanu's personal watch, not a supplied movie prop.
Last edited by Civuck on Jan 21st, 2021 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2006
5580 posts
1983 upvotes
Dammit, I had been waiting ages for it to come back down to this price range again, but ultimately got too impatient lol, and bought it at $140 from Amazon back in July to use to modify into its much more expensive newer version. This is an amazing price!

It's the best model to use the module as a base to modify into their higher end finished GWM-B5000, using kits from the Ali place that include the bracelet and the face, which I'm assuming aren't allowed to be linked. But yeah, you can turn it into this watch very easily: https://world.g-shock.com/asia-mea/en/p ... gmw-b5000/
Of course, it won't have the Bluetooth and the brick pattern on the face, but I never use the Bluetooth, and that red stripe running around the face is a classic look in its own right :)

I have a the OEM GMW-B5000 in silver and I LOVE it. The heft and weight of it feel awesome, and it is a beast. Have gone cliff jumping with it (although you probably shouldn't lol) and had no problems :)

I love this watch for the module because, as others have mentioned, the combination of Atomic Sync and Solar power is like, the grail for quartz watches for me. You can't beat it to use as the base to get the aftermarket kit, which I did in a camo finish just for the times when I'm going to be doing even more hardcore stuff and don't want to get the beautiful silver bracelet and finishing all dinged up. It works like a charm, and honestly, in terms of weight and feel, it's like 90% there. Quality of the aftermarket kit is quite good.

Highly recommended and upvoted OP :)
Last edited by deezz on Jan 21st, 2021 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*RFD - once you're in there's no getting out.*

*If you wanna buy something, wait for it! Eventually RFD will post it and something in your pants will feel awesome that you waited: your wallet.*
Nov 16, 2015
598 posts
1124 upvotes
Toronto, ON
luisiusum wrote: Thank you for this tip. Did you call Casio Canada directly and placed the order with them?

I have the exact same watch and it's almost time to get a replacement band.

Thanks
Yeah I called Casio and they directed me to authorized dealer in my area.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)