[Amazon Canada] Catan, 5th Edition 48.71$ CDN

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2019 12:18 pm
[OP]
Sep 11, 2019
1 posts
1 upvote

[Amazon Canada] Catan, 5th Edition 48.71$ CDN

For those who like to play board games, we know that this is a good price. Price is usually around 70$ for this game.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2006
1208 posts
1027 upvotes
Toronto
Probably matching the price at Indigo as they are having a sale (25% off) on all games/puzzles (Thurs-Sun).
Mar 13, 2012
870 posts
431 upvotes
Near You
Great if rage-inducing game. Cities and knights is a great expansion for it also.
💳✈️🌍 American Express Platinum+Gold+Cobalt (Free First-Class Travel) • Rogers WE • STACK
💰 HSBC PremierTangerineEQ BankMotive
📞 Freedom 13GB/45$ • Google Fi 📱 🖥️ Novus 1GIG/60$
May 8, 2013
244 posts
217 upvotes
London
What's so special about 5th edition compared to others?
Feb 24, 2017
96 posts
120 upvotes
5th Edition is not any better than previous editions, if anything it's slightly lower quality. The wooden pieces have lost much of their uniformity, they often have slight defects and imperfections. The cards seem to be less durable too; Comparing new ones that I've used less to my old set that was used for years is quite surprising.

Still a good price and a game worth owning. You're not likely to find earlier editions anyway. If you want a really quality set check out etsy.
Dec 15, 2018
10 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
If you check boardgameprices ( Link https://www.boardgameprices.com/prices/catan ; on rest of the world tab) the price of catan is $50.99 (I only look at 401/BGB pricing ON). Also, amazon is known for moving fakes made in china. This likely isnt't a fake since the seller is amazon and not third-party . Regardless, it's a bit misleading to say it's around $70 at regular price. You're really saving $2 but you get the convenience of free delivery.
Nov 18, 2014
96 posts
93 upvotes
Calgary, AB
This isn't a bad game and it was kind of the one that started the recent reinterest in board games but there are many better games to buy instead of this one as game design has evolved a lot since this came out.
May 23, 2003
357 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
FearlessSaver wrote:
Sep 13th, 2019 11:03 am
This isn't a bad game and it was kind of the one that started the recent reinterest in board games but there are many better games to buy instead of this one as game design has evolved a lot since this came out.
Care to elaborate? Any favorites to suggest?
Nov 29, 2005
515 posts
33 upvotes
Be VERY careful buying Catan off of Amazon. I bought a copy and it turned out to be a fake/replica. I compared it to an original I had lying around, much cheaper feeling.

Ended up returning and buying it in store.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
4053 posts
922 upvotes
singhownethu wrote:
Sep 13th, 2019 11:55 am
Be VERY careful buying Catan off of Amazon. I bought a copy and it turned out to be a fake/replica. I compared it to an original I had lying around, much cheaper feeling.

Ended up returning and buying it in store.
Did you purchase it directly from Amazon or a third party?
Nov 29, 2005
515 posts
33 upvotes
It was Prime shipping, shipped by Amazon. Sold by a third party.

If you look at the link in the OP, you can see people commenting that they got poor quality versions. I'd recommend price matching with Best Buy or anywhere in store.