• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2019 9:28 am
[OP]
Oct 3, 2016
329 posts
471 upvotes
Hamilton, ON

[Amazon Canada] Catit Senses V1.0 (Cat slow-feeder) - $23.62

I have one on order right now. Should be in today or tomorrow. This slow feeder appears to be handy if you have a cat that gobbles, or just want them to have to work for their treats.

Note that this is the version 1 of the product. Changes they made to version 2 were a wider base to prevent tipping, and a narrower opening at the top to prevent the cat reaching in. However, version 2 is $14 more.

This might on in handy for some RFD'ers out there! Happy shopping!
17 replies
Feb 16, 2012
54 posts
54 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
JDTheCanadian wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 9:32 am
...This slow feeder appears to be handy if you have a cat that gobbles...
I can confirm this to be an accurate statement lol. Our cats will finish their dry food in one go if put into a bowl, but with this (we have version 2) they just graze on it throughout the day. I'd highly recommend them, especially for indoor kitties as it also adds a bit of enrichment to their day via working for their food.
Feb 16, 2012
54 posts
54 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
emmui wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 8:49 pm
You mean free feeding? Grazing =/= free feeding

My cat is a grazer. He eats half, leaves for a bit to observe a squirrel in the backyard and goes back to finish his food.
This. It's definitely not being filled back up just because it's empty - a measured amount is placed in it twice a day, that's it & when it's gone, it's gone.

We actually originally picked ours up after the advice from our vet that "food puzzles can be a good source of enrichment".
[OP]
Oct 3, 2016
329 posts
471 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
I bought this feeder because my cat will gobble down his portion so fast, he will often throw up right afterwards. I don't want him to graze all day. I just want to slow him down, haha
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
1459 posts
621 upvotes
Cambridge
I've been using version 2 of this for the better part of 2018 and it's fantastic. The one cat took to it instantly but our other cat, who binge eats and sometimes throws up because of it, would use it here and there but refused to use it. We just stuck with it and, after two days, she was using it all the time. It really does slow down their eating and I highly recommend this for any cat that over eats. It's also just great in general as cats enjoy working for their food.
Mar 26, 2018
53 posts
55 upvotes
notenoughsleep wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 8:21 pm

Also, according to Jackson Galaxy you shouldn't be leaving food out for your cat to graze all day

https://www.jacksongalaxy.com/blog/your ... ng-e49123/
It is a bit different than leaving a bowl of food out all day (as per mr cat mojo) since it the food is not as accessible with the tree. The cat needs to work for the food rather than having it readily available.

Love the image! A nice start to a Friday :)
Last edited by registrashen636397913301865306 on Jan 4th, 2019 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2011
3602 posts
2190 upvotes
Toronto and London
This does not work on wet food I am assuming?
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
1459 posts
621 upvotes
Cambridge
RiftOfChaos wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 8:34 am
This does not work on wet food I am assuming?
No, the food gets poured onto the top layer and they reaching in and knock the food down to the levels below. Each level has 4 holes on the edges (not-aligned) causing the food to drop to the next level, then down to the lowest. My one cat uses it that way, the other cat sits up and manages to scoop the food out from any level, using her paw as a scoop.

Both ways tend to only give them 1 kibble at a time, though sometimes 3-4 pieces will fall out like they've hit a slot-machine jackpot.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1491 upvotes
Montreal
My kitty eats all her food at once and pukes. Sounds like this might solve that.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
1459 posts
621 upvotes
Cambridge
MrEmoji wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 8:43 am
My kitty eats all her food at once and pukes. Sounds like this might solve that.
It certainly will. It really slows down the pace at which they eat.