[OP]
Mar 10, 2012
232 posts
172 upvotes
THORNHILL

[Amazon.ca] Celestron Nature DX 8x42 $119. 99

Hello all

Amazon has the Celestron Nature DX 8x42 binoculars for $119.99

Good price for a good quality (albeit entry level) set of binoculars.

https://www.amazon.ca/Celestron-71332-N ... 720&sr=8-2
10 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2007
1303 posts
288 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks. I've been watching this for a while because I plan to bird watching.

How is it compared to this?

I don't see much difference. But it is cheaper and could be even cheaper with sale (which might come in Black Friday)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 18, 2010
5250 posts
1000 upvotes
Toronto
gyong3 wrote: Thanks. I've been watching this for a while because I plan to bird watching.

How is it compared to this?

I don't see much difference. But it is cheaper and could be even cheaper with sale (which might come in Black Friday)
Not to get off topic, but what's the appeal of bird watching?
Jun 29, 2016
986 posts
500 upvotes
gyong3 wrote: Thanks. I've been watching this for a while because I plan to bird watching.
I have the Bushnell H2O 8x42 which is comparable to this. Very clear, but yes it is a budget/entry level, it shows (weight is one example), and long term there are things that start to be annoying for any serious use. For occasional use, or to have on me and not care if I drop it, it is alright.
For birdwatching and nature watching while hiking I'm looking to get a high end 8x32 (Nikon monarch or even a Zeiss if I will ever have the budget).
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2007
1303 posts
288 upvotes
Toronto
glover78 wrote: Not to get off topic, but what's the appeal of bird watching?
I'm not a birder. As I stated, I plan to do bird watching coming spring so personally I don't know the appeal of it yet. I just love walking/hiking in nature and I want to add another fun activity like bird watching to mindless walking when I walk/hike in the park. Maybe I guess that's an appeal to me.
Last edited by gyong3 on Oct 29th, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 8, 2005
776 posts
121 upvotes
Windsor
I purchased Nature DX a couple weeks ago and as much as I like its quality I have a major problem with sizing. My eyes are wide set and the binos do not open wide enough to accomodate my eyes. They do have quite impressive min distance focus, much better than my Bushnell H2O 8x42. That's really important for smaller birds like warblers or watching birds at feeders.
Feb 27, 2019
15 posts
18 upvotes
I bought these for hunting and they pretty much fell apart within a year. Eye cups fell off, a screw fell out, something inside got out of wack and it was constantly blurry. I ended up sending them back to Celestron under warranty. Had to pay shipping which was unfortunate. That was over a month ago and I haven't heard anything yet. When I first got them they were great but if you are considering hiking around with them through rugged terrain maybe not the best.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1890 posts
1566 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe it's just me being ultra ignorant, but would be a bit better if you add "binoculars" on subject. I clicked thinking it was a Telescope (which in my very very limited knowledge, Celestron is a bit more famous for)
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Feb 10, 2006
201 posts
90 upvotes
worked with an optical factory 30 years ago, the optical quality of the lens and combination most important to optical instruments like binoculars.
then cometh the cheap lens "binocular like" china products flood the market. I still use my japan made Binocular.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2011
2195 posts
862 upvotes
EDMONTON
glover78 wrote: Not to get off topic, but what's the appeal of bird watching?
Certain species only show up during certain times of the year. And there are some that are just rare. The appeal is akin to something like a real life pokemon pokedex lol.

Some animals like Owls, are just neat to watch their breeding or hunting behaviors.
teksavvy sucks