• Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2018 3:18 pm
[OP]
Oct 26, 2017
159 posts
275 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Channellock Pliers

I've developed a bit of an obsession with Channellock tools. Quality "as good" or "nearly-as-good" as any top-of-the-line pro tools (e.g. Knipex, Klien, Greenlee) but prices that aren't much higher than regular consumer stuff (e.g. Mastercraft, Stanley, Crescent). I'm always watching for deals on the ones I don't own yet and noticed a few deals this week:

1. GLS-3 6, 10 and 12" Waterpump Plier set. On Amazon, this set has been jumping up and down. At the time of this edit, it's still very good at $43.46 (KMS tool briefly had this for $39.99, but the deal is now dead). Amazon
  2. GL10&12 Combo $27.74 (Reg. $36.99) - 25% off at Canadian Tire. ***Sale hasn't started yet. It runs February 2 to 8.*** I'm a little confused since these look the same as the pliers above except they're silver vs. black. I have the set above - it's definitely black. Maybe there's two versions with different coatings?

3. Channellock Bottle Opener. $4.99 - Add-on Item (reg $16.99) Amazon
  4. #911 Cable Cutting pliers $18.94 (reg $34.99), [removed] Prime Membership required. Amazon
  5. 4-piece straight jaw tongue-and-groove plier and screwdriver set $32.94 (reg $59.99) ***YMMV*** this is in-store clearance at Lowes so there's very little stock showing online. HOWEVER, I found several sets in a store that purported to be sold-out - but marked at full price. They agreed to match the online clearance price for me. Lowes
  6. 958 Wire Stripper and Cutter $23.96 (reg $34.99). [removed] Amazon If you're in Ontario, IHL has these for $15.99! Sadly shipping costs kill it for me.
  7. 6-15" Wide adjustable wrenches $9.99-$27.99 (reg $22.99-$59.99) - In-store clearance at Canadian Tire, so YMMV. I have the "Code Blue" version. They have a really smooth thumb wheel, the radius on the jaws is narrower than most other brands' so they fit in tighter spots and they don't have much slop once set.
  8. Channellock Rescue Tool - cable cutter version. $43.97 (reg. $79.99) from KMS Tools. There is no reason I should want this, no reason at all.

9. It's back! 4-Piece set at Canadian tire for $59.99 (Reg. $99.99). Good Starter set and it comes in a tray that's handy if you have a tool box with drawers. Canadian Tire.

10. DEAD: ***This price turned out to be a product listing error, contact the seller for a partial refund if you ordered this deal - see my post on page 3**** 424 - 4.5" straight jaw pliers. These are small pliers, good size for your pocket. Price Drop: $24.54 for TWO(reg. $23.99/each). Amazon (P.s. I was considering a pair of Knipex mini cobras to carry when I dirt bike and found these as an alternative recommendation. Very good deal in that context since the Knipex version is at least four times more expensive.)
  11. DEAD: 131CB Channellock 13-N-1 Ratcheting multi-bit screwdriver. $34.93Dead, now $42.00 (reg. $57.37 - that's a bit exaggerated though as I often see it advertised around $45). Amazon. This is probably Channellock's best screw driver. Very highly reviewed. It's actually made by Megapro, but re-branded as Channellock.
  12. DEAD: 5-plier tool roll $69.00 (reg $138.44) *** deal is over, now $102.93*** , [removed] Amazon
  13. DEAD: GS3 - Similar to the GLS-3 (#1 above), but with straight jaws instead of V-Jaws. 6.5", 9.5" and 12". "New Lower Price" at Home Depot is $54.97, however, there's an email promotion available right now for $10 off a $50+ purchase, so $44.97 This is not as good as the Lowes clearance price posted for #4 (which includes the same pliers) however, it should be available at every HD and therefore not a "YMMV" deal. Email sign-up link: DEAD. (***Credit to Pupsik27 and the Home Depot Email Subscription thread).
  14. DEAD: 11" Concretor's Nipper $11.06* limited stock (4 left) ***deal is dead***(reg $34.19). [removed] Amazon (This might be a YMMV. I recently bought the 10" version for $10, but it shot back up in price as soon as I did). EDIT: this looks to be dead already. It's at $23.42 now.
  15. DEAD: 12" Waterpump pliers $16.95 (reg $28.21) ***deal is dead, now $21.99***(this may be a temporary price drop, shows 14 in stock). I already own the 3-pack and these are some of my favourite Channellock pliers.Amazon.
  16. DEAD: Also noticed: 10" for $12.95 (reg $19.04) ***Dead, now $18.99*** Amazon

At least here in Alberta, there's some other Channellock "code blue" pliers as "in-store clearance" at Canadian Tire. The particular models available vary by store so I didn't bother adding them to the list. Might be worth checking out at your local store since the models in question appear to be 30-60% off, so it can be better than the sale prices.

*Edited to add back the links.
**Another edit, new deals
***New Edit: many early deals are now dead, but I've added some new ones
****Reorganized so it's easier to determine which deals are still ongoing
*****A couple price drops and one small price increase.
******Found a new lower price for the GLS-3 + a clearance deal on the rescue tool.
*******Canadian Tire 4-Pack came back on sale. Also a 25% sale on individual pliers. Sometimes Canadian Tire goes to 40%, so these aren't the best prices ever.
********GLS 3 deal at KMS tools and GL3 deal at Home Depot are both dead now.
Last edited by jradmcfast on Dec 28th, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 39 times in total.
40 replies
Nov 20, 2004
710 posts
1034 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks OP, was gonna make a post for this but got sidetracked. Picked up a pair of 447 @ HD, PM'd against CT. $20.99 - 10% = $18.89 + taxes out the door. Strangely enough the Steveston location had the discounted prices (-30% I think) for individual pliers while the Marine Dr. location didn't. Did spot the 4 piece set at Marine Dr at the $54.99 with lots of stock. Very good prices for Channelock.
[OP]
Oct 26, 2017
159 posts
275 upvotes
Canadian Tire periodically does a 40% off Channellock sale - which is pretty good, especially if you then PM at Lowes or Home Depot like you mentioned.

The sets are a good value vs. buying the pliers individually - made even better by these sale prices. #3 & #6 aren't carried by all the big box stores so the PM trick probably won't work.
Aug 3, 2012
443 posts
285 upvotes
AURORA
Great post. Thanks for sharing. Typically I buy Knipex, but these look very good. I'm going to keep an open mind for my next purchase.

Not sure about the slip-joint pliers though. I have one, but never used it. I prefer lineman's pliers.
Apr 2, 2009
318 posts
369 upvotes
vancouver
No set would be complete without this:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B002JGIUKK/

I got it before Christmas as an add-on for $4.99 +FS (was sold by Amazon at the time). Not really worth it at the current price though :(
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Dec 18, 2017
240 posts
136 upvotes
GVA
ChannelLock is about as good as it gets. Still made not-in-China general quality. Their adjustable wrench is bliss. Just buy them and throw all the other crap out.
May 30, 2015
320 posts
187 upvotes
GTA
Amazon still has item 1 at $69.
Placed an order for items 1 and 5, a few hours ago. The price for 5 was $23.99.
For item 3, it seems that the price is $18.94 only if ordered via Amazon Prime. i don't have Prime membership.

Thanks to OP for posting this.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7801 posts
6252 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks OP. These are great tools, for sure. Nothing I "need" is on sale right now but this post has me thinking...
[OP]
Oct 26, 2017
159 posts
275 upvotes
homeowner72 wrote: Not sure about the slip-joint pliers though. I have one, but never used it. I prefer lineman's pliers.

I agree, I don't have the slip-joints. Never saw the point since there's typically a better plier for the job when you already own the linesman, waterpump and straightjaw pliers Winking Face.
baudfather wrote: No set would be complete without this
I got it before Christmas as an add-on for $4.99 +FS (was sold by Amazon at the time). Not really worth it at the current price though :(
Nice. I'll have to watch for a price drop so I can keep building my collection - although I wish they made this with the classic grip instead of the code blue.
pishta wrote: For item 3, it seems that the price is $18.94 only if ordered via Amazon Prime. i don't have Prime membership.
I'll edit the post to add that detail.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
6216 posts
2356 upvotes
TheGreatGazoo wrote: ChannelLock is about as good as it gets. Still made not-in-China general quality. Their adjustable wrench is bliss. Just buy them and throw all the other crap out.
Fyi pretty much all of the good brands are made in China anyways. Channel lock isn't, but it's not because it's made in America that makes it good. They're just a good company, that's all. The made in America marketing is just to appeal to that crowd.
Milwaukee, dewalt, Makita, even some hilti are all made in China too, which is probably a big surprise to most.
Dec 3, 2010
576 posts
455 upvotes
Toronto
SomeOtherDude wrote: Fyi pretty much all of the good brands are made in China anyways. Channel lock isn't, but it's not because it's made in America that makes it good. They're just a good company, that's all. The made in America marketing is just to appeal to that crowd.
Milwaukee, dewalt, Makita, even some hilti are all made in China too, which is probably a big surprise to most.
You won't notice much difference in power tools but in hand tools you definitely notice some difference between Chinese made and American / European made tools. Something with metal treatment that the Chinese still don't get it quite right.
I've noticed the jaws of my Irwin water pump pliers (made in China) gets rounded off after a while, but never had this issue with knipex or channellock.
Channellock got the best quality / price ratio on the market IMO, as long as they keep it made in America
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4140 posts
2922 upvotes
Montreal
muffin_man wrote: You won't notice much difference in power tools but in hand tools you definitely notice some difference between Chinese made and American / European made tools. Something with metal treatment that the Chinese still don't get it quite right.
I've noticed the jaws of my Irwin water pump pliers (made in China) gets rounded off after a while, but never had this issue with knipex or channellock.
Channellock got the best quality / price ratio on the market IMO, as long as they keep it made in America
It's 1080 carbon steel, people make knives in backyard with them and heat treat with home made furnace and bucket of oil. It always comes down to dollar figure.
Oct 13, 2015
202 posts
113 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Channellock hand tools are the best you can buy for your money.

Heavy-duty, corrosion-free and longer lasting than higher price peers.

US made .

Cons: they are ugly and heavy.
[OP]
Oct 26, 2017
159 posts
275 upvotes
I edited the first post. Many of the deals I originally posted are now dead (and I marked them as such in the post). However, I found a few new deals recently. Added the pair of 424's and the bottle opener to my own collection.
[OP]
Oct 26, 2017
159 posts
275 upvotes
Added another item: 131CB ratcheting screwdriver.

FYI anything Channellock-branded that is not pliers is not made in the US Channellock factory. That doesn't mean those tools are junk, but I don't hold them in the same high regard as the pliers.

The 131CB screwdriver is an exception. It's actually a "Megapro" brand screwdriver wearing Channellock clothing. Megapro has a great reputation. Here's a review for this driver on Toolguyd. Toolguyd did a more in-depth review at one point, but I can't find that article at the moment.

The other multi-bit Channellock screwdrivers are not as great (e.g. 61CB and 181CB). I own the 61Cb already and broke a bit the first time I used it. That said, those drivers still have the Channellock warranty and Channellock shipped me a new one - so no complaints from me.

*Edit: Found the better Toolguyd article
From the article:
Saying that the fine-tooth ratcheting mechanism is smooth is somewhat of an understatement. It doesn’t click, it zips.
Everything about the Channellock 13-in-1 just screams of quality
Jun 10, 2013
1 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
I love channellock wrenches. I bought them from Canadian tire.
[OP]
Oct 26, 2017
159 posts
275 upvotes
seungkyuko wrote: I love channellock wrenches. I bought them from Canadian tire.
What kind of wrenches do you have? Adjustable? Combination? Ratcheting?

I have an adjustable. I know Channellock makes combination, ratcheting combination and some 4-n-1 ratcheting, but I've never seen them in the wild.

Presuming that is what you mean, when did you get them? I don't see them on the Cdn tire website, but if they're in-store I would go have a look.
[OP]
Oct 26, 2017
159 posts
275 upvotes
#1 dropped in price to $45 - that's $15 per plier. Awesome deal for Channellocks in my book.
Nov 27, 2013
91 posts
82 upvotes
Westmount
Thanks for keeping this list updated!